D&D Celebrity Satine Phoenix & Husband Jamison Stone Accused Of Abuse Towards Freelancers

Status
Not open for further replies.
D&D influencer Satine Phoenix, and her husband Jamison Stone, who run tabletop gaming company Apotheosis Studios, have been accused of abusive behavior towards freelancers and contracted workers.

Satine Phoenix is a well-known D&D personality and creator, and was the D&D Community Manager for about a year back in 2018. Both she and Stone have appeared in many events and streaming shows, and have worked with WotC, Geek & Sundry, and other companies. Recently their Kickstarter campaign Sirens: Battle of the Bards raised over $300,000. At GaryCon, a US gaming convention, the couple held a public wedding.

sirens.jpg

Accusations were initially leveled last week against Stone by tattooist Chad Rowe, who tweeted about the abusive way in which Stone, as his client at the time, treated him. The artist was "insulted, berated, and talked down to as if I was a lesser person". Other reports started to roll in as people shared similar experiences, with people revealing how they had been bullied by them, and how the pair frequently portrayed themselves as 'better' than those they worked with. At the time of writing there have been many such reports including one from voice actress and designer Liisa Lee who was subjected to underhanded business practices by Phoenix and her then partner Ruty Rutenberg. Others indicated difficulties in getting paid for work done for Stone and Phoenix or their company.

Lysa Penrose reported on problematic interactions while Phoenix worked at WotC, who was the primary point of contact regarding a report of abuse. Penrose reports that Phoenix failed to pass on the reports of abuse, and continued to publicly associate with the abuser.

Jamison Stone has since resigned as CEO of Apotheosis Studios (though the pair do own the company) and issued a long apology which has been widely criticized. Phoenix released a statement about a week later. Screenshots leaked from a private channel indicate that they have adopted a strategy of shifting the blame onto Stone, so that Phoenix's public image remain intact, with Stone writing “I also am ensuring behind the scenes ... we shield Satine as much as physically possible from damage.”

D&D In A Castle, which is an event which hosts D&D games run by professional DMs in a weekend break in a castle, has dropped the pair from its lineup, as has Jasper's Game Day, an organization which works to prevent suicides. Origins Game Fair, at which the couple are celebrity guests, removed Stone from its guest list, but not Phoenix, stating that "staff assessed that there was no immediate risk of physical harm".

According to ComicBook.com. former collaborator of Phoenix, Ruty Rutenberg, is suing Phoenix, alleging misappropriation of $40,000 of stream network Maze Arcana's money.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Reply to OP.

Didn’t know the two of them were married, but I’ve never liked Jamison Stone and am not surprised in the slightest about him. There’s always been something about his eyes that screams “do not trust this man” to me.

As for Satine Phoenix, think I’ve only seen a single YouTube video with her in it. It had something to do with Eberron, if I recall correctly. Didn’t care for her one way or the other, but it’s still disappointing to learn that she apparently isn’t a nice person. And I had absolutely no idea until reading this thread that she defended Zak.

Retreater

Legend
Didn’t know the two of them were married, but I’ve never liked Jamison Stone and am not surprised in the slightest about him. There’s always been something about his eyes that screams “do not trust this man” to me.
Yeah, they were recently married at GaryCon back in March, presided over by Luke Gygax. I was at the Con when it happened but didn't want to be around the crowd for the public ceremony.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Yeah, they were recently married at GaryCon back in March, presided over by Luke Gygax. I was at the Con when it happened but didn't want to be around the crowd for the public ceremony.
Same, I was there, but stayed in the distance. Didn't want to get too close to a thick crowd of people, and I didn't stay for the after party. One thing that always struck me odd was that they gave each other d20, and Jamison rolled to see how they would be as a couple going forward and rolled a 20, and acted all surprised and shocked he got a 20. Then Satine mentioned how every side was a 20. And he didn't notice that when he picked it up and rolled it? Maybe caught in the moment?

Retreater

Legend
Same, I was there, but stayed in the distance. Didn't want to get too close to a thick crowd of people, and I didn't stay for the after party. One thing that always struck me odd was that they gave each other d20, and Jamison rolled to see how they would be as a couple going forward and rolled a 20, and acted all surprised and shocked he got a 20. Then Satine mentioned how every side was a 20. And he didn't notice that when he picked it up and rolled it? Maybe caught in the moment?
So I guess they foretold they were going to cheat people? ;)

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Wow, combining serial and spiritual manipulation with business. Yikes.
Yeah secluding someone who is unlikely to know how to get away, especially when you are probably bigger and stronger than them, especially when you are a man and they are AFAB, and then mixing business, spiritual “guidance”, and sexual propositioning, is…jfc I don’t even have words for how gross that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases