D&D Celebrity Satine Phoenix & Husband Jamison Stone Accused Of Abuse Towards Freelancers

D&D influencer Satine Phoenix, and her husband Jamison Stone, who run tabletop gaming company Apotheosis Studios, have been accused of abusive behavior towards freelancers and contracted workers. Satine Phoenix is a well-known D&D personality and creator, and was the D&D Community Manager for about a year back in 2018. Both she and Stone have appeared in many events and streaming shows, and...

Status
Not open for further replies.
D&D influencer Satine Phoenix, and her husband Jamison Stone, who run tabletop gaming company Apotheosis Studios, have been accused of abusive behavior towards freelancers and contracted workers.

Satine Phoenix is a well-known D&D personality and creator, and was the D&D Community Manager for about a year back in 2018. Both she and Stone have appeared in many events and streaming shows, and have worked with WotC, Geek & Sundry, and other companies. Recently their Kickstarter campaign Sirens: Battle of the Bards raised over $300,000. At GaryCon, a US gaming convention, the couple held a public wedding.

sirens.jpg

Accusations were initially leveled last week against Stone by tattooist Chad Rowe, who tweeted about the abusive way in which Stone, as his client at the time, treated him. The artist was "insulted, berated, and talked down to as if I was a lesser person". Other reports started to roll in as people shared similar experiences, with people revealing how they had been bullied by them, and how the pair frequently portrayed themselves as 'better' than those they worked with. At the time of writing there have been many such reports including one from voice actress and designer Liisa Lee who was subjected to underhanded business practices by Phoenix and her then partner Ruty Rutenberg. Others indicated difficulties in getting paid for work done for Stone and Phoenix or their company.

Lysa Penrose reported on problematic interactions while Phoenix worked at WotC, who was the primary point of contact regarding a report of abuse. Penrose reports that Phoenix failed to pass on the reports of abuse, and continued to publicly associate with the abuser.

Jamison Stone has since resigned as CEO of Apotheosis Studios (though the pair do own the company) and issued a long apology which has been widely criticized. Phoenix released a statement about a week later. Screenshots leaked from a private channel indicate that they have adopted a strategy of shifting the blame onto Stone, so that Phoenix's public image remain intact, with Stone writing “I also am ensuring behind the scenes ... we shield Satine as much as physically possible from damage.”

D&D In A Castle, which is an event which hosts D&D games run by professional DMs in a weekend break in a castle, has dropped the pair from its lineup, as has Jasper's Game Day, an organization which works to prevent suicides. Origins Game Fair, at which the couple are celebrity guests, removed Stone from its guest list, but not Phoenix, stating that "staff assessed that there was no immediate risk of physical harm".

According to ComicBook.com. former collaborator of Phoenix, Ruty Rutenberg, is suing Phoenix, alleging misappropriation of $40,000 of stream network Maze Arcana's money.

In middle America in the 80s spaz was dork/need/geek. At least where I grew up. Knowing it's a slur elsewhere im happy to see it discontinued, but the same logic should apply to the common UK term for cigarette that comes across different in the US.

For me in the Southeastern US, it depended on how the word was used. It could be used in a light way for how you were used to, or it could be used in a mean and hurtful way for how a lot of others understand it. There is also probably a high count of it's use in 80's and 90's teen comedies, for both meanings.

And regional slang will always be like that. There is plenty that at least seems innocent here in the US, but use that same word or phrase in certain other countries and the locals will be horrified. There are various lists floating around the Net that detail some of them, but I am not going into any of them here because Umbran wants us to steer away from keeping that discussion going.

Someone from Twitter posted 46 minutes of her apology to YouTube, if people missed it / chose not to view it on Instagram and want to draw their own conclusions:

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
Times like these remind me of the short story “the lottery.”

Someone has to get stoned but who? We don’t know, but we all take our turn picking a paper, hoping we don’t draw the black dot. We know someone is gonna get it…if they choose poorly.

Now we might say they chose poorly. And we would be right. But what disturbs me is the circling around jeering.

Of course she has problems. There are lots of indicators she had issues but we make her a D&D “influencer/personality” and then torch her when she proves common sense is right.

I am not happy she was a jerk to others but somehow it does not bring any satisfaction to see her get torched.

Of course the next step is to critique her sorrow and decide whether or not she is genuine.

It’s all gross, man. People disappoint. I hope she recovers, learns new ways of relating to others and any of us rubbing our hands together think about why that is so.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Judging by the large number of "you're just sad you got caught" comments on her IG livestream: the internet is, as usual, one step ahead.
That sentiment comes from people recognizing a genuine expression of remorse that doesn’t give an indication of understanding what harm was done. When it’s clear you feel bad, but you don’t seem to understand what you’ve done wrong, what else are people supposed to assume you feel bad about? It’s “sorry I made you upset” instead of “sorry for [doing the thing that made you upset].”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads