D&D Celebrity Satine Phoenix & Husband Jamison Stone Accused Of Abuse Towards Freelancers

D&D influencer Satine Phoenix, and her husband Jamison Stone, who run tabletop gaming company Apotheosis Studios, have been accused of abusive behavior towards freelancers and contracted workers. Satine Phoenix is a well-known D&D personality and creator, and was the D&D Community Manager for about a year back in 2018. Both she and Stone have appeared in many events and streaming shows, and...

Status
Not open for further replies.
D&D influencer Satine Phoenix, and her husband Jamison Stone, who run tabletop gaming company Apotheosis Studios, have been accused of abusive behavior towards freelancers and contracted workers.

Satine Phoenix is a well-known D&D personality and creator, and was the D&D Community Manager for about a year back in 2018. Both she and Stone have appeared in many events and streaming shows, and have worked with WotC, Geek & Sundry, and other companies. Recently their Kickstarter campaign Sirens: Battle of the Bards raised over $300,000. At GaryCon, a US gaming convention, the couple held a public wedding.

sirens.jpg

Accusations were initially leveled last week against Stone by tattooist Chad Rowe, who tweeted about the abusive way in which Stone, as his client at the time, treated him. The artist was "insulted, berated, and talked down to as if I was a lesser person". Other reports started to roll in as people shared similar experiences, with people revealing how they had been bullied by them, and how the pair frequently portrayed themselves as 'better' than those they worked with. At the time of writing there have been many such reports including one from voice actress and designer Liisa Lee who was subjected to underhanded business practices by Phoenix and her then partner Ruty Rutenberg. Others indicated difficulties in getting paid for work done for Stone and Phoenix or their company.

Lysa Penrose reported on problematic interactions while Phoenix worked at WotC, who was the primary point of contact regarding a report of abuse. Penrose reports that Phoenix failed to pass on the reports of abuse, and continued to publicly associate with the abuser.

Jamison Stone has since resigned as CEO of Apotheosis Studios (though the pair do own the company) and issued a long apology which has been widely criticized. Phoenix released a statement about a week later. Screenshots leaked from a private channel indicate that they have adopted a strategy of shifting the blame onto Stone, so that Phoenix's public image remain intact, with Stone writing “I also am ensuring behind the scenes ... we shield Satine as much as physically possible from damage.”

D&D In A Castle, which is an event which hosts D&D games run by professional DMs in a weekend break in a castle, has dropped the pair from its lineup, as has Jasper's Game Day, an organization which works to prevent suicides. Origins Game Fair, at which the couple are celebrity guests, removed Stone from its guest list, but not Phoenix, stating that "staff assessed that there was no immediate risk of physical harm".

According to ComicBook.com. former collaborator of Phoenix, Ruty Rutenberg, is suing Phoenix, alleging misappropriation of $40,000 of stream network Maze Arcana's money.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
What exactly do you expect when someone shows the people around them what they are in the dark and it's terrible?

No, they f'd around and found out. Now they have a crossroads where they can choose to stop f'ing around or get an education.
What in the unholy hell are you even talking about? Did you skim the discussion and hit reply without reading what you replied to?

Honestly, while I'm not going to block you or anything like that, I'm not going to engage with you any further, either. Judging by several of these little comments in multiple posts, now, you seem to find in me a considerable deficit of either intellectual capacity or intellectual honesty. I feel I've made my position very clear, so I'll no longer trouble you with it.
No, I've been very clear about my concern:

Your argument is incoherent.

You don't have to be stupid or intentionally dishonest to have an incoherent argument. You just need ill-considered opinions. The internet adequately demonstrates that, no matter how smart you are, you probably have a whole bunch of ill-considered, incoherent opinions. You be a tenured professor of philosophy and have bunch of them! The Jorp incident I've referenced a couple of times was exactly an example of that, and the dude realized it, but only after he'd broadcast it to millions of people.

I know I've had incoherent opinions which people have taken apart before. I actually kind of value that, as annoying as it might be at the time. I've changed my thinking before because people have shown me my opinions are incoherent. Incoherent is different from inconsistent, of course. Inconsistent can usually be explained, and there can be reasons for it. Incoherent just means they don't actually make sense/hold together.

You don't have to engage with me, that's fine, and I appreciate you telling me (and not "cancelling" me lol) but I am also going to be honest and point that I'm not going to stop noting where opinions/arguments are incoherent, where appropriate.

Vaalingrade

Legend
What in the unholy hell are you even talking about? Did you skim the discussion and hit reply without reading what you replied to?
I read exactly what you wrote.

Just because I don't agree to feel bad for people who got a slap on the wrist from the internet doesn't mean I didn't read it.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
It was super over-diagnosed in kids and medication for it was over-prescribed in the 80s and 90s, but it is very much a real thing, which can be very debilitating for some people.
I have A.D.H.D. as well. I have therapists and psychologists in the family(makes family functions interesting) and more than one diagnosed me as an adult, but oddly none actually recommended I get any kind of medication. As a kid my energy levels were through the roof. As I have gotten older(52 now) the H.D. has gone almost completely away, only popping out as pacing while I'm thinking about things or the twitching of my foot as I sit. The A.D. is the harder part for me. I can't focus for long periods of time. At work if I have to focus for an hour or two, I have to then "go to the bathroom" for a while to decompress and just not think about things for a bit.

My son is a mini-me, so we got him diagnosed early. He's on Adderall and we watched him closely to make sure it wasn't changing who he was. It doesn't and it helps, so he's still on it, though we are giving him a break during the summer. After watching it help him, I went to a psychiatrist and we are currently experimenting with dosages and types(slow release or not) of Adderall to try and get it right.

Edit: Sorry @Umbran. I just saw your post and won't comment further.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I read exactly what you wrote.

Just because I don't agree to feel bad for people who got a slap on the wrist from the internet doesn't mean I didn't read it.
The fact you think that I am saying that anyone needs to feel bad for anyone in the post you quoted proves unequivocally that you didn’t read the post.

Vaalingrade

Legend
The fact you think that I am saying that anyone needs to feel bad for anyone in the post you quoted proves unequivocally that you didn’t read the post.
Is there a point to this?

Regardless of if I got your intended message, I pretty clearly read the post. Either clarify or let it go. Stop alleging I didn't read the thing I obviously read.

Ghal Maraz

Adventurer
I'm probably going to be at the upper limit of me-as-mean, but, while I completely distance myself from those comments on the livestream and I do think that threats should be persecuted, I also do think that this kind of overreaction had to be expected: she went down the same rabbit hole she's been digging all these years.

Moreover, I see that she also acted as expected: blaming Jamison, ignoring her own personal accusations, victim-blaming and victim-calling, excusing herself by saying that people should have told her how much mean she was while one of the main accusations against the 'royal couple' is that they actively threatened to destroy other people's careers.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I feel really terrible for her and also realizing she might not have realized what she was doing without a moment like this. I just wish it wasn’t so terrible. I also don’t think she fully understands what she’s done, her confusion seemed real. This sucks all the way around.

Also I think it’s important that their behavior isn’t tolerated.

Edit to add: also if current bad actors see this and change their ways then good.
I really hope she does seek help, because she is stuck in some vicious cycles here. Trading her celebrity for path towards some personal healing would be the best case scenario, I think.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think ironically going by whether people's apologies "seem genuine" or not is kind of worse than just going by their actual actions.

If we look at justice systems which actually attempt to be fair (rather than the court of public opinion, which Jack Sparrow recently showed is much easier to manipulate than, say, a judge actually following the law), genuine remorse can be a mitigating factor in sentencing, but it doesn't mean you didn't do it.
Genuine remorse shouldn't take any from the consequences of her actions, but might offer hope for her as a person.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Public figure, public apology.
Yeah, but you don't have to apologize to the unaggrieved. People oftentimes do if getting back into the public's good graces is important... but quite often the public (or at least the portions of the public who are demanding an apology) aren't anyone you really care to placate anyway. In other words... unless someone needs to be famous and well-liked again... they can just make amends privately with those they hurt and essentially give a middle finger to the general public demanding their head. I know I certainly wouldn't want to give a lot of those people much satisfaction.

Well, no. Cancelling is a warning to other people in a community. Deplatforming is a bonus, when it can be accomplished.
That seems rather stupidly harsh then. Having everybody kick the crap out of someone not to punish them, but to warn others "Don't be like this person!"? What a lovely way to keep yourself guilt-free. You never have to feel bad about anything to do to this person you're repeatedly crapping on and kicking while they're down, because it isn't about them... it's about everyone else you're just sending warnings to.

If that's really the whole point, then my god all these people are truly a-holes as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads