D&D Celebrity Satine Phoenix & Husband Jamison Stone Accused Of Abuse Towards Freelancers

Status
Not open for further replies.
D&D influencer Satine Phoenix, and her husband Jamison Stone, who run tabletop gaming company Apotheosis Studios, have been accused of abusive behavior towards freelancers and contracted workers.

Satine Phoenix is a well-known D&D personality and creator, and was the D&D Community Manager for about a year back in 2018. Both she and Stone have appeared in many events and streaming shows, and have worked with WotC, Geek & Sundry, and other companies. Recently their Kickstarter campaign Sirens: Battle of the Bards raised over $300,000. At GaryCon, a US gaming convention, the couple held a public wedding.

sirens.jpg

Accusations were initially leveled last week against Stone by tattooist Chad Rowe, who tweeted about the abusive way in which Stone, as his client at the time, treated him. The artist was "insulted, berated, and talked down to as if I was a lesser person". Other reports started to roll in as people shared similar experiences, with people revealing how they had been bullied by them, and how the pair frequently portrayed themselves as 'better' than those they worked with. At the time of writing there have been many such reports including one from voice actress and designer Liisa Lee who was subjected to underhanded business practices by Phoenix and her then partner Ruty Rutenberg. Others indicated difficulties in getting paid for work done for Stone and Phoenix or their company.

Lysa Penrose reported on problematic interactions while Phoenix worked at WotC, who was the primary point of contact regarding a report of abuse. Penrose reports that Phoenix failed to pass on the reports of abuse, and continued to publicly associate with the abuser.

Jamison Stone has since resigned as CEO of Apotheosis Studios (though the pair do own the company) and issued a long apology which has been widely criticized. Phoenix released a statement about a week later. Screenshots leaked from a private channel indicate that they have adopted a strategy of shifting the blame onto Stone, so that Phoenix's public image remain intact, with Stone writing “I also am ensuring behind the scenes ... we shield Satine as much as physically possible from damage.”

D&D In A Castle, which is an event which hosts D&D games run by professional DMs in a weekend break in a castle, has dropped the pair from its lineup, as has Jasper's Game Day, an organization which works to prevent suicides. Origins Game Fair, at which the couple are celebrity guests, removed Stone from its guest list, but not Phoenix, stating that "staff assessed that there was no immediate risk of physical harm".

According to ComicBook.com. former collaborator of Phoenix, Ruty Rutenberg, is suing Phoenix, alleging misappropriation of $40,000 of stream network Maze Arcana's money.

You were suspicious of Mearls off the bat? The others gave me a bad vibe, but Mearls felt like he almost came from Central Casting as "generic D&D nerd".
Since we're also taking this opportunity to call out people with whom we've had good experiences: Since I first hired him as a freelancer at FFG back in ~2002, I found Mike to be one of the most talented, hardest-working, dedicated, professional, authentic, and kind people I encountered during my decade in the industry.

mythago

Hero
I assume that he is muddling along somewhere in the middle, like the vast majority of humanity. You seem to be the one painting in extremes here.

I truly don't understand what you mean by "painting in extremes" - it's "extreme" to do anything other than create exculpatory stories for strangers who 'seem' nice?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I truly don't understand what you mean by "painting in extremes" - it's "extreme" to do anything other than create exculpatory stories for strangers who 'seem' nice?
Yes, actually. Charitable interpretations of the actions of others is a moral imperative, until evidence comes to light. Even when one does not like them (particularly if one doesn't like them, really).

Now some actions, like writing Nazi literature or sexually propositioning business partners after taking them out alone in the woods, the most charitable reading is still really, really bad. What Liisa describes of her relationship with Z and Z's actions are disappointing, but not themselves abusive in se.

Last edited:

Von Ether

Legend
In fairness, there's a number of people in the 'D&D Famous' space who feel kind of try-hard to me: I've never payed it much mind; I just assumed they were excited about what they were doing and trying extra hard not to jinx it, which I completely understand. I haven't followed Satine terribly closely - I mainly remember her for appearing on Wil Wheaton's Tabletop and playing a setite in LA by Night - but I hadn't noticed any indication of negative behavior, while the others you mentioned felt like they might be jerks off the bat.

I know a lot of game makers who are awkward or shy at heart so just going to a convention and pretending to be an extrovert is performance for them and they put out that try-hard energy. I imagine by extension some D&D Famous people are the same way.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I know a lot of game makers who are awkward or shy at heart so just going to a convention and pretending to be an extrovert is performance for them and they put out that try-hard energy. I imagine by extension some D&D Famous people are the same way.
I’m not famous or anything, but that’s my experience. If I go to a convention I have to be “on” for several days while I man a booth, and that’s just not me. I imagine for somebody with fans that’s a thousand times harder work.

mythago

Hero
Yes, actually. Charitable interpretations of the actions of others is a moral imperative, until evidence comes to light. Even when one does not like them (particularly if one doesn't like them, really).

Their actions are not "evidence", then. Thanks for clarifying that the priority here is protecting missing stairs.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I’m not famous or anything, but that’s my experience. If I go to a convention I have to be “on” for several days while I man a booth, and that’s just not me. I imagine for somebody with fans that’s a thousand times harder work.
Yep, same here. Just running a booth for 3 days straight and talking to hundreds of people non-stop while being friendly and extroverted is exhausting, not just physically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases