D&D Celebrity Satine Phoenix & Husband Jamison Stone Accused Of Abuse Towards Freelancers

D&D influencer Satine Phoenix, and her husband Jamison Stone, who run tabletop gaming company Apotheosis Studios, have been accused of abusive behavior towards freelancers and contracted workers. Satine Phoenix is a well-known D&D personality and creator, and was the D&D Community Manager for about a year back in 2018. Both she and Stone have appeared in many events and streaming shows, and...

Status
Not open for further replies.
D&D influencer Satine Phoenix, and her husband Jamison Stone, who run tabletop gaming company Apotheosis Studios, have been accused of abusive behavior towards freelancers and contracted workers.

Satine Phoenix is a well-known D&D personality and creator, and was the D&D Community Manager for about a year back in 2018. Both she and Stone have appeared in many events and streaming shows, and have worked with WotC, Geek & Sundry, and other companies. Recently their Kickstarter campaign Sirens: Battle of the Bards raised over $300,000. At GaryCon, a US gaming convention, the couple held a public wedding.

sirens.jpg

Accusations were initially leveled last week against Stone by tattooist Chad Rowe, who tweeted about the abusive way in which Stone, as his client at the time, treated him. The artist was "insulted, berated, and talked down to as if I was a lesser person". Other reports started to roll in as people shared similar experiences, with people revealing how they had been bullied by them, and how the pair frequently portrayed themselves as 'better' than those they worked with. At the time of writing there have been many such reports including one from voice actress and designer Liisa Lee who was subjected to underhanded business practices by Phoenix and her then partner Ruty Rutenberg. Others indicated difficulties in getting paid for work done for Stone and Phoenix or their company.

Lysa Penrose reported on problematic interactions while Phoenix worked at WotC, who was the primary point of contact regarding a report of abuse. Penrose reports that Phoenix failed to pass on the reports of abuse, and continued to publicly associate with the abuser.

Jamison Stone has since resigned as CEO of Apotheosis Studios (though the pair do own the company) and issued a long apology which has been widely criticized. Phoenix released a statement about a week later. Screenshots leaked from a private channel indicate that they have adopted a strategy of shifting the blame onto Stone, so that Phoenix's public image remain intact, with Stone writing “I also am ensuring behind the scenes ... we shield Satine as much as physically possible from damage.”

D&D In A Castle, which is an event which hosts D&D games run by professional DMs in a weekend break in a castle, has dropped the pair from its lineup, as has Jasper's Game Day, an organization which works to prevent suicides. Origins Game Fair, at which the couple are celebrity guests, removed Stone from its guest list, but not Phoenix, stating that "staff assessed that there was no immediate risk of physical harm".

According to ComicBook.com. former collaborator of Phoenix, Ruty Rutenberg, is suing Phoenix, alleging misappropriation of $40,000 of stream network Maze Arcana's money.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Their actions are not "evidence", then. Thanks for clarifying that the priority here is protecting missing stairs.
The priority is treating everyone justly. Assuming the worst of everyone is unjust.

What we know is that Greg Tito listened to Satine Phoenix and believed her, which in this case is material mediate cooperation with evil, which is grave matter. But we don't know what exactly he knew and when, and what his mother for believing Satine were, so so no, it is not appropriate to assume the worst. I would recommend that he repent and come clean, but I ain't his Priest nor his manager.

It is noticeable that the victim, Lissa, in thise case doesn't seem to blame Tito, despite his actions being the failure point that let Satine cut her off from further opportunities.

Mearls formally and proximately cooperated with Zak S. in his abusive activity, but that does seem more like a severe error in judgement than being cut from the same cloth. Still hurt people in the end.
Agreed. Not that any of us know the complete timeline of events, but that situation left me with the overall impression of, "Don't let your game designers handle HR issues. They are in no way trained for it and probably won't handle it well. Corporations have HR departments for a reason."

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Agreed. Not that any of us know the complete timeline of events, but that situation left me with the overall impression of, "Don't let your game designers handle HR issues. They are in no way trained for it and probably won't handle it well. Corporations have HR departments for a reason."
Yeah, he went way out of his way to prove that. Looking more at the Liisa Lee story, Tito seems to have massively mishandled the D&D Live 2019 situation, and trusted Satine over and against others.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
We don't know it's Greg Tito. This is an assumption, but not the only valid one. Nathan Stewart would be another reasonable guess at the time.
Tito organized D&D Live, though. It was his baby. The whole situation also reads like Tito, for thst matter, warts and all. We don't have absolute knowledge thst she means Tito...but in terms of moral certitude, he was the one doing the work she describes, by himself at WotC. I remember Stewart praising Tito for thst very work on air.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
We don't know it's Greg Tito. This is an assumption, but not the only valid one. Nathan Stewart would be another reasonable guess at the time.
We don’t know who it is, but WotC has informal blacklists (and encourages other companies they know, plus their partners and licensees to follow them). I’m sure WotC doesn’t view them as blacklists, though.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
We don’t know who it is, but WotC has informal blacklists (and encourages other companies they know, plus their partners and licensees to follow them). I’m sure WotC doesn’t view them as blacklists, though.
I didn't know that. No surprise, I'm extremely ignorant of the industry. Has this been discussed somewhere or is it simply "common knowledge"?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I didn't know that. No surprise, I'm extremely ignorant of the industry. Has this been discussed somewhere or is it simply "common knowledge"?
When was the last time you saw WotC work with ENWorld in any capacity? Like invite a rep to a press conference, or give advance notice?

It is this Blacklist system that both Zak Smith and Satine Phoenix seem to have successfully hacked, at least for a time: cast their perceived enemies as the kind of person with whomWotC would refuse to do business. So, yeah, toxic corporate practice is open to toxic manipulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads