D&D Conversion Races

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
Good work, but I have a few suggestions or thoughts.

* I see no mention of pixie naps (or the sunrise stipulation) in the original HoF text. I think its a bit much. Not broken, just un-needed. It robs the elf of a cool elven feature (trance) and makes using pixies impossible for dungeon crawls (and it seems 5e's theme is not to mess over players with wonky side-effects). I'd remove it; the race is non-the-worse for its loss.
* Remove Pixie Survivalism. Having two free proficiencies in 5e is powerful (its one of the half-elves only traits) and I don't see it as necessary to being a "pixie".
* I don't think "fey beasts" is a thing anymore. Why not just give them "speak with animals" as a power?
* The penalty for being Tiny is "1/2 Carry/Push/Pull/Move weight", not 1/4. (PHB 176).
* It doesn't appear Wee Warrior is completely needed: all tiny creatures in the PHB (Imps, Sprites, Rats, etc) have a reach of 5 ft naturally.
* Lastly, surely they'd speak Common and Sylvan, not Elvish?

I was working on a sprite race similar to this. I'll post my version soon.

Remathilis,

Per your suggestions, I'm removing Pixie Naps; removing fey beasts from Speak with Beasts and changed natural beasts to animals; correcting the 1/4 to 1/2 for Size: Tiny; and switching out Elven for Sylvan.

As to Pixie Survivalism, I can see that giving proficiency to two skills is over-doing it. I still feel that a pixie should have some distinctive features relative to their size and nature. Since Stealth is more applicable than Nature, I'll be keeping the former and scratching the latter.

On Wee Warrior, I will remove that, too. But my gut still says that a target as small as a pixie should have some combat-related consequences, so I'd like your perspective on the following:

>Because of their tiny size and airborne maneuverability, melee attacks made against them by creatures two or more sizes larger have disadvantage, but only when the pixie is in flight. On the other hand, particularly when they're flying, any kind of area attack they get caught in gains advantage on the attack roll.

Please let me know what you think.

I'm looking forward to your take on sprites.

Last edited:

Remathilis

Legend
Remathilis,

Per your suggestions, I'm removing Pixie Naps; removing fey beasts from Speak with Beasts and changed natural beasts to animals; correcting the 1/4 to 1/2 for Size: Tiny; and switching out Elven for Sylvan.

As to Pixie Survivalism, I can see that giving proficiency to two skills is over-doing it. I still feel that a pixie should have some distinctive features relative to their size and nature. Since Stealth is more applicable than Nature, I'll be keeping the former and scratching the latter.

On Wee Warrior, I will remove that, too. But my gut still says that a target as small as a pixie should have some combat-related consequences, so I'd like your perspective on the following:

>Because of their tiny size and airborne maneuverability, melee attacks made against them by creatures two or more sizes larger have disadvantage, but only when the pixie is in flight. On the other hand, particularly when they're flying, any kind of area attack they get caught in gains advantage on the attack roll.

Please let me know what you think.

I'm looking forward to your take on sprites.

I'd rather penalize tiny creatures in the damage department than the "hit" department.

Here is my sprite (it lacks the fluff right now).

Sprite Traits
Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 2, and your Charisma increases by 1.
Age. Sprites live as long as elves. In the Feywild, the race measures time in centuries, and Sprites are effectively immortal unless they are slain.
Alignment. Sprites are creatures of goodness, though prone to mischief. They tend towards neutral goodness.
Size. Sprites are only 2 feet tall and weigh 20 lbs. Your size is Tiny. Because of this, you can only lift, push or pull ½ as much as a small creature, suffer disadvantage on Strength checks to break and force open objects.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 10 feet. You have a fly speed of 30 feet, but suffer disadvantage to Stealth checks when flying. You cannot fly higher than 10 feet off the ground.
Fey Ancestry. You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can’t put you to sleep.
Beast Speech. You can cast speak with animals at will.
Fey Magic. You know the druidcraft cantrip. Once you reach 3rd level, you can cast the sleep spell once per day as a 2nd-level spell. Once you reach 5th level, you can also cast the invisibility spell once per day. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells.
Wee Warrior. Due to their small size, sprites must use specially sized weapons and armor. (See Shrink Item below). Sprite weapons deal damage one die smaller than normal sized weapons (to a minimum of 1d4) and lose the reach property.
Shrink Item. All sprites know a special ritual that can turn normal sized items (including magical types) to sprite sized items they can use. This ritual takes 10 minutes to cast and lasts until the sprite reverses the ritual to return it to its natural size.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Sylvan.

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
Reply to Remathilis re the Sprite and the Pixie: subraces of the Wee Fey?

Looking at the similarities of our respective adaptations, it occurs to me that we might consider them to be subraces. Everything that's the same in the traits we listed would be included with the main racial category; a few differences are needed to differentiate the two.

Here are some thoughts on this:

Let's put these into the general traits:

• Wee Warrior. You mentioned in an earlier entry that you'd " ... rather penalize tiny creatures in the damage department than the 'hit' department." Let's just use your description for this trait.
  • [This trait has been removed as we (Remathilis and I) determined that it was too unbalancing for the race.] Nimble Flyers: [This takes into account the general idea that it's difficult to hit a small creature on the wing, but that same flying creature is more vulnerable to an area effect such as a strong gust of wind or the blast of a fireball. Whether or not the advantage-disadvantage mechanic is the best way to handle this is open to debate. I suggest we add this to the general traits.] The now revised trait description for the Wee Fey: "Because of their tiny size and airborne maneuverability, individual melee attacks made against wee fey by creatures of medium or larger size and individual ranged attacks by creatures of any size have disadvantage, but only when the wee fey is in flight. On the other hand, particularly when they're flying, any kind of area attack they get caught in gains advantage on the attack roll". This applies to the wee fey's relative mobility and frailty."

So the Wee Fey Traits would be:
Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 2, and your Charisma increases by 1.
Age. Wee fey live as long as elves. In the Feywild, the race measures time in centuries, and wee fey are effectively immortal unless they are slain.
Size. Tiny (see Subracial traits below).
Alignment. Wee fey are creatures of goodness, though prone to mischief. They tend towards neutral goodness.
Fey Ancestry. You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can’t put you to sleep.
Beast Speech. You can cast speak with animals at will.
Reach. Due to their maneuverability in flight, wee fey melee attacks have the equivalent of a 5 foot reach because of their ability to dart in-and-out for a short distance. (This reach is derived from the Player's Handbook description of a sprite on page 310.) This reach trait does not apply when they are not flying.
Wee Warrior. Due to their size, wee fey must use specially sized weapons and armor. (See Shrink Item below). Wee fey weapons deal damage one die smaller than normal sized weapons (to a minimum of 1d4) and lose the reach property.
Shrink Item. All wee fey know a special ritual that can turn normal sized items (including magical types) to wee fey sized items they can use. This ritual takes 10 minutes to cast and lasts until the sprite reverses the ritual to return it to its natural size.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Sylvan.
Subraces. Pixie and Sprite.

On the subraces:

Size. Wee fey are Tiny (as per the sprite described on page 310 of the Player's Handbook). Their subracial traits reflect some aspects of this.

Speed. I noted the different effect flying has on the Stealth skill for the subraces. While flying, sprites suffer disadvantage to Stealth, while pixies lose their proficiency to Stealth.

Fey Magic, renamed respectively as Sprite Magic and Pixie Magic. Druidcraft for sprites (see Proficiencies below), Prestidigitation for pixies (given their whimsical nature).

Proficiencies. Nature for sprites, Stealth for pixies:
  • You're idea of giving Druidcraft to the sprite prompts a notion that we could also give the sprite a related proficiency in the Nature skill.
  • The smaller pixie would gain proficiency in Stealth instead. This would require dropping the 4e fluff (a la Disney) of the glowing glitter trailing behind a pixie in flight. I don't know if you had ever read a Dragon Magazine article regarding an antagonistic relationship between pixies and ettercaps. The author of the article (whose name eludes my little gray cells at the moment) came up with an idea that ettercaps hunted pixies for that pixie dust, which was a crucial component in some of their ritual magic. That's an idea I would keep, at least in my House Rules. And it doesn't require that an aerial pixie litter the wind with dust, just that the wings have the dusty feature.

Sprite Subracial Traits:
Size. Sprites are only 2 feet tall and weigh 20 lbs. Your size is Tiny. Because of this, you can only lift, push or pull ½ as much as a small creature, and suffer disadvantage on Strength checks to break and force open objects.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 10 feet. You have a fly speed of 30 feet, but suffer disadvantage to Stealth checks when flying. You cannot fly higher than 10 feet off the ground.
Sprite Magic. You know the druidcraft cantrip. Once you reach 3rd level, you can cast the sleep spell once per day as a 2nd-level spell. Once you reach 5th level, you can also cast the invisibility spell once per day. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells.
Sprite Innate Proficiency. Nature skill.

Pixie Subracial Traits.
Size. Pixes are only 6 inches to 1 foot in height and weigh less than 10 lbs. Your size is Tiny. Because of this, you can only lift, push or pull ½ as much as a small creature, and suffer disadvantage on Strength checks to break and force open objects.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 10 feet. You have a fly speed of 30 feet, but you lose your proficiency in the Stealth skill when you fly. You cannot fly higher than 10 feet off the ground.
Pixie Magic. You know the prestidigitation cantrip. Once you reach 3rd level, you can cast the sleep spell once per day as a 2nd-level spell. Once you reach 5th level, you can also cast the invisibility spell once per day. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells.
Pixie Innate Proficiency. Stealth skill.

Re the fluff: we can fill that in after we've settled on the traits.

So, does this work for your idea of sprites? Let me know. One thing I wonder is if we should make tiny weapon damage dice two dice sizes smaller than medium, but maybe that can wait for future optional rule publication later, too.

Last edited:

Remathilis

Legend
I'm liking it. It could leave open options for Nixies and such later.

I'm still not sold on Nimble Flyers; the monstrous ones suffer no such penalty (and yes, I know its an NPC) and I think the wee folk suffer enough disadvantages (1/2 carry, smaller weapon dice*, disadvantage on certain Str checks, and can't use items without a special ritual) to counterbalance their abilities (flight, magic, proficiency, resist sleep/charm, and speak w/ animals.) The smaller weapon dice already penalizes them in melee and opponents having advantage against them in melee is death for a spellcaster. As powerful as flight is, I'm afraid of crippling them too much. I really don't want to get rid of their main shtick which is darting around divebombing opponents.

I'm almost wanting to hold off further until I see a DMG to see more of the optional things (especially for monsters and weapons). Right now, it seems implied weapons can deal more/less damage by size but there is no hard rules. (and likewise, I'd like to see some clear monster conversion/creation notes on size or optional races). Until then, I'll say its good as is until November.

BigVanVader

First Post
Here I was, getting ready to badger and harass you into thinking about making a Dhampir race, and you went ahead and did it already. I'm loving what you made, good job man. :D

For Lifeblood, what if we made an alternate ability, one in which the race actually did have fangs, and could use them for the same effect?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
[MENTION=7635]Remathilis[/MENTION], I hope you don't mind but I just set up a race database and needed some stuff to plug in to test it. I grabbed three of these and assigned them to your user account.

You can get to it via the Databases drop down menu at the top of the page. You'll see it has three of your races there.

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
Wee Fey Nimble Flyers Trait

I'm liking it. It could leave open options for Nixies and such later.

I'm still not sold on Nimble Flyers; the monstrous ones suffer no such penalty (and yes, I know its an NPC) and I think the wee folk suffer enough disadvantages (1/2 carry, smaller weapon dice*, disadvantage on certain Str checks, and can't use items without a special ritual) to counterbalance their abilities (flight, magic, proficiency, resist sleep/charm, and speak w/ animals.) The smaller weapon dice already penalizes them in melee and opponents having advantage against them in melee is death for a spellcaster. As powerful as flight is, I'm afraid of crippling them too much. I really don't want to get rid of their main shtick which is darting around divebombing opponents.

I'm almost wanting to hold off further until I see a DMG to see more of the optional things (especially for monsters and weapons). Right now, it seems implied weapons can deal more/less damage by size but there is no hard rules. (and likewise, I'd like to see some clear monster conversion/creation notes on size or optional races). Until then, I'll say its good as is until November.

I'll remove the Nimble Flyer trait for now, although I'll include it with my group's game to test it. I did develop it with the idea in mind that there was balance within the trait itself, imposing disadvantage to any foe targeting an individual wee fey with a melee or ranged attack, but giving advantage to an opponent who was making an area attack that would include a wee fey in the affected area. It was not giving the opponent advantage on melee attacks. Maybe my wording didn't make that clear.

Still, like you, I do feel a reservation about this trait. Even though it fits with my perception of a wee fey's mobility and relative frailty, the advantage/disadvantage rolls might push it to an extreme. A wee fey, while in flight, would be very hard to hit by any individual melee or ranged attack, but very easy to hit by a blast or the like. It's one of the only exceptions to the mechanic I've seen so far, where a simple +2/-2 for advantage/disadvantage (respectively) would work better. For that reason, it makes sense to remove it.

It's Friday; I hope you have a great weekend.

Last edited:

Remathilis

Legend
@Remathilis, I hope you don't mind but I just set up a race database and needed some stuff to plug in to test it. I grabbed three of these and assigned them to your user account.

You can get to it via the Databases drop down menu at the top of the page. You'll see it has three of your races there.

Honored and Flattered. :)

BigVanVader

First Post
Hey what if for the Vryloka, you had fangs that you had to suck blood with, instead of the Lifeblood ability? (Just as an alternate ability, not a mandatory one.) Because as cool as the Vryloka is, Lifeblood feels like you're just draining their life energy or something, like you're Morbius the Living Vampire from Marvel comics, or like you're casting a vampirism spell. Cool and all, but I always like something a bit more personal, and bloody.

Remathilis

Legend
I made the lifeblood ability generic so that you could flavor it how you like: drink blood, siphon ki, steal life force, or go Highlander on them. The big thing I'd they lack a bite attack to use in melee.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases