Spelljammer D&D Direct Live Report: 9am PDT (5pm BST) SPELLJAMMER CONFIRMED! DRAGONLANCE!

D&D Direct, WotC's new video-format announcement show launches today at 9am PDT (5pm BST). If you aren't able to watch it, I'll be updating this article live. Feel free to comment below! Once it launches, you will need to refresh this page when you want to see new updates. The video is expected to last about 30 minutes. If you CAN watch it, you'll find it on YouTube or Twitch at the above...

D&D Direct, WotC's new video-format announcement show launches today at 9am PDT (5pm BST). If you aren't able to watch it, I'll be updating this article live. Feel free to comment below! Once it launches, you will need to refresh this page when you want to see new updates. The video is expected to last about 30 minutes.

If you CAN watch it, you'll find it on YouTube or Twitch at the above times. Otherwise, follow along below!
  • 45 mins to go. Live updates incoming!
  • 30 mins to go!
  • 5 minutes to go!
  • Here we go! Opens with a sea shanty.
  • Forgive typos. They talk fast and I can't type.
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.07.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.46.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.00.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.00.51 PM.png

• Spelljammer is confirmed!
  • They talk REALLY FAST!
  • Spelljammer Adventures in Space, project lead Chris Perkins, Trystan Falcone graphic designer
  • Cities built on asteroids, dead gods floating in the ether
  • 6 races---astral elves, autognomes, hedozi(?), gif, plasmoids, thri-kreen
  • 3 hardcovers in a slipcase: Astral Adventurers Guide, Boo's Astral Menagerie, Light of Xaryxis adventure
  • Prequel adventure in July
  • Wizkids miniatures
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.03.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.05.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.07.43 PM.png

Other stuff also discussed!
  • Baldur's Gate 3 CRPG preview video (game is in 2023)
  • Journeys Through Radiant Citadel intro video -- 3 of the adventures are: Wages of Vice (5th level), Caribbean; Orchids of the Invisible Mountain (14th level), feywild, far realm, Whistler new monster; Fiend of Hollow Mind (4th level), skeletons and spirits
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.14.29 PM.png

• "Campaign Cases" -- Creature tokens! Terrain tiles! July!
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.15.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.16.23 PM.png

D&D Movie directors now onscreen. The movie in March 2023 is called HONOR AMONG THIEVES.

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.17.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.18.14 PM.png

• New D&D starter set. Comes with 'digital onboarding'. Dragons of Stormwreck Isle. We knew about that one.
  • D&D digital monstrous compendium. Available to those with WoTC or D&D Beyond Accounts. Volume 1 has an eldritch lich and the 10 legged asteroid spider. And the starlancer. Might have misheard some of that!
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.19.48 PM.png

• MMO Neverwinter video. Dragonslayer begins June 2022. (I wonder if they'll need a dragonance for that?)
  • New D&D actual play video, Legends of the Multiverse. Lots of 80s cartoon style soft rock music. Boo is in it.
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.24.38 PM.png

WIzKids skirmish game D&D Onslaught. October

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.25.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.26.20 PM.png

Finally -- DRAGONLANCE WARRIORS OF KRYNN! SHADOW OF THE DRAGON QUEEN!

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.27.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.27.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.28.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.28.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.28.25 PM.png

I now have a vision of "docks" in Sigil that are next to a massive portal for ships to come through. I'm trying to decide how much that impacts my vision of how Sigil operates...

Oh - I'd forgotten the bit about how magic shuts down in the Outlands the closer you get to the Spire. Which is another way Sigil is a weird paradox in the setting.
Not sure on the source for this, but I think I heard it mentioned at some point that there's a portal attached to the Ditch large enough for ships/spelljammers to pass through into Sigil. I think it was in an old 2e era copy of Polyhedron...

Remathilis

Legend
Yeah, this is the real nit-picker for me. When I first say the announcement, I assumed that this was three full-sized books; a full campaign setting, a monster manual (not as big as the MM itself but still big) and a full adventure. I assumed we'd be able to buy it all at once, and then later you could buy them all seperately.

The reality is much less great than this.
I like Spelljammer, but not $150.00 like the Core Rules or Expansion Gift sets much.

It would be a hard pass if it was what you proposed.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Plus, a 64 page hardcover just rubs me the wrong way. Hardcovers should be for meatier books (personal belief here).
I pulled out my Adventurer's Guide to Eberron from 2008 to check and I was right - it's a 64 page hardcover. As is the Dungeon Survival Guide that came out the same year. I assume that Wizards has a mock up to look at and it looks fine,but to me the slipcase is going to look a little anemic with three books that thin in it. I can see how they're going for a modern version of the old boxed set idea, but I dunno - I'll have to see how it feels when I actually have a copy in hand.

However as a counterpoint on the price issue - the cover price on those books was $20 back in 2007. So three of them would have been $60 and when you add in the slipcase, map and GM screen and inflation over the years means the price is about the same. Which I was not expecting.

briggart

Adventurer
Yeah definitely a rip off. Not like those 2e boxed sets with multiple fragile softcover side stapled booklets or perfect bound ones that would come unglued from their bindings stuffed in a half empty box hat that would get banged up and crushed by hardcovers in your duffel bag on the way to game. Give me that any day instead of sturdy hardcovers in a slipcase!

(/giant dose of sarcasm, in case it wasn’t obvious)

For real though. I would much rather have a slipcase set these days than a boxed set. Only way a boxed set makes more sense is if you have smaller items included with it like dice or cards or what have you.

You were supposed to fill the Boxed Sets with all the other setting supplements. ;)

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I like Spelljammer, but not $150.00 like the Core Rules or Expansion Gift sets much.

It would be a hard pass if it was what you proposed.

I wouldn't have bought the whole thing either; I would have waited and bought the setting book, maybe the adventure instead. But I was excited at the idea of a setting getting that much material.

briggart

Adventurer
I'm disappointed by the lower total page count... it's smaller than past settings, and the "new format" is just meant to charge a higher price. Even with inflation as it is, I'd prefer a normal book at $60 than three smaller books at $70.
I would even settle for a single book and smaller slipcase at 70$. At least it would have a lower environmental impact.

Remove ads

Remove ads