Spelljammer D&D Direct Live Report: 9am PDT (5pm BST) SPELLJAMMER CONFIRMED! DRAGONLANCE!

D&D Direct, WotC's new video-format announcement show launches today at 9am PDT (5pm BST). If you aren't able to watch it, I'll be updating this article live. Feel free to comment below! Once it launches, you will need to refresh this page when you want to see new updates. The video is expected to last about 30 minutes. If you CAN watch it, you'll find it on YouTube or Twitch at the above...

D&D Direct, WotC's new video-format announcement show launches today at 9am PDT (5pm BST). If you aren't able to watch it, I'll be updating this article live. Feel free to comment below! Once it launches, you will need to refresh this page when you want to see new updates. The video is expected to last about 30 minutes.

If you CAN watch it, you'll find it on YouTube or Twitch at the above times. Otherwise, follow along below!
  • 45 mins to go. Live updates incoming!
  • 30 mins to go!
  • 5 minutes to go!
  • Here we go! Opens with a sea shanty.
  • Forgive typos. They talk fast and I can't type.
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.07.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.46.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.00.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.00.51 PM.png

• Spelljammer is confirmed!
  • They talk REALLY FAST!
  • Spelljammer Adventures in Space, project lead Chris Perkins, Trystan Falcone graphic designer
  • Cities built on asteroids, dead gods floating in the ether
  • 6 races---astral elves, autognomes, hedozi(?), gif, plasmoids, thri-kreen
  • 3 hardcovers in a slipcase: Astral Adventurers Guide, Boo's Astral Menagerie, Light of Xaryxis adventure
  • Prequel adventure in July
  • Wizkids miniatures
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.03.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.05.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.07.43 PM.png

Other stuff also discussed!
  • Baldur's Gate 3 CRPG preview video (game is in 2023)
  • Journeys Through Radiant Citadel intro video -- 3 of the adventures are: Wages of Vice (5th level), Caribbean; Orchids of the Invisible Mountain (14th level), feywild, far realm, Whistler new monster; Fiend of Hollow Mind (4th level), skeletons and spirits
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.14.29 PM.png

• "Campaign Cases" -- Creature tokens! Terrain tiles! July!
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.15.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.16.23 PM.png

D&D Movie directors now onscreen. The movie in March 2023 is called HONOR AMONG THIEVES.

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.17.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.18.14 PM.png

• New D&D starter set. Comes with 'digital onboarding'. Dragons of Stormwreck Isle. We knew about that one.
  • D&D digital monstrous compendium. Available to those with WoTC or D&D Beyond Accounts. Volume 1 has an eldritch lich and the 10 legged asteroid spider. And the starlancer. Might have misheard some of that!
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.19.48 PM.png

• MMO Neverwinter video. Dragonslayer begins June 2022. (I wonder if they'll need a dragonance for that?)
  • New D&D actual play video, Legends of the Multiverse. Lots of 80s cartoon style soft rock music. Boo is in it.
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.24.38 PM.png

WIzKids skirmish game D&D Onslaught. October

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.25.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.26.20 PM.png

Finally -- DRAGONLANCE WARRIORS OF KRYNN! SHADOW OF THE DRAGON QUEEN!

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.27.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.27.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.28.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.28.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.28.25 PM.png

OB1

Jedi Master
If it wasn't before, I think the purchase of DDB and the price increase makes it clear that WotC is moving towards a digital focused product line. Push players to digital first, with the physical product being more of a luxury item.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I mean barring a ship-sized portal in Sigil itself (which seems extremely unlikely)
I now have a vision of "docks" in Sigil that are next to a massive portal for ships to come through. I'm trying to decide how much that impacts my vision of how Sigil operates...

you could theoretically find a portal to the Outlands in the Astral, but you could never actually fly a ship in the Outlands to Sigil itself (again, going by 2e PS rules) as you can never actually physically get to the Spire itself and magic starts shutting down the closer you get regardless.
Oh - I'd forgotten the bit about how magic shuts down in the Outlands the closer you get to the Spire. Which is another way Sigil is a weird paradox in the setting.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
By the by, I think the price/page math people have thrown about is a bit off, since we're getting the regularly scheduled Tier 1 Intro Adventure and at least 14 pages of additional monsters, just free and digital and not actually printed on the page. Death House was 10 pages; A Great Upheaval was 17 pages. I imagine the Intro Adventure will be something in that range. If we average that at 14 pages - much like the Monstrous Compendium additional creatures supporting the Monster book, we get 220 pages, a similar count to Volo's Guide (222pp) and Ghosts of Saltmarsh (250pp).

teitan

Legend
The
By the by, I think the price/page math people have thrown about is a bit off, since we're getting the regularly scheduled Tier 1 Intro Adventure and at least 14 pages of additional monsters, just free and digital and not actually printed on the page. Death House was 10 pages; A Great Upheaval was 17 pages. I imagine the Intro Adventure will be something in that range. If we average that at 14 pages - much like the Monstrous Compendium additional creatures supporting the Monster book, we get 220 pages, a similar count to Volo's Guide (222pp) and Ghosts of Saltmarsh (250pp).
slip case is three books 64 pages each. 192 pages. There is an adventure in July that will have its own cover price.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
The

slip case is three books 64 pages each. 192 pages. There is an adventure in July that will have its own cover price.
Wait, it's going to cost money? Perkins said for the prequel adventure, all you need is a Wizards account - much like the Monstrous Compendium doc.

But if the Intro adventure will cost money, then my math would be off. But it would still functionally be at least 206 once you include the 14 cut pages from the Spelljammer monster booklet that we just got free.

dave2008

Legend
I mean, it's a 40% price increase for less content. I get if it actually is more economical (there's a slipcase, three harcovers etc) but it's actually less content than recent setting books.

I'd be ok if it was a normal book at $60. But honestly, I don't really want to support a more expensive model like this. I'll wait probably and see if they eventually release it as one book for less, or digital.
The point of my post was more about inflation. I think there may have been some price hike if this had just been one book.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
It would still have an indirect impact as other companies move from printing in China to printing in the USA, which would increase competition for US printers.
This definitely happens. We had been making some products in one nation. As soon as the customs charges on China went up years ago, everyone jumped out of China to where we were making them, which drove our prices up so much that we....jumped back to China. Even the higher customs charges were cheaper than the increased prices in our old factory. I think that very thing is likely to happen in a jump from China to the U.S. or Canada.

Weiley31

Legend
Have you seen the future actual-play show? Legends of the Multiverse (I love that soundtrack) looks like a crossover between D&D and d20 Future. Maybe we could be easter-eggs or winks about other Hasbro's franchises. Is Riddle a "mechalus"?

I like how the elf has MCU Star-Lord style pistols. Although, anybody know what race the first machine chick is with the wheels? Probably a refluffed Warforged, but in context of Spelljammer lore, I was just curious.

Remove ads

Remove ads