D&D Movie/TV D&D: Honor Among Thieves Superbowl Spot

The Superbowl commercial for the upcoming movie Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves has been released in advance. The movie comes out on March 31st.

OB1

Jedi Master
Ohhhh, someone has some sweet connections, anything else juicy you want to share?
Unfortunately not so sweet that I could get myself in to see it (I tried) :) I will say that the non D&D fan who saw it is pretty level headed about judging the films that they see early (and isn't a social influencer), so I take their response as a very positive sign.
Last year's movie/streaming show Super Bowl ads were:
  • “Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness”
  • “The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power”
  • “Nope”
  • “Jurassic World: Dominion”
  • “The Lost City”
  • “Sonic 2”
  • “The Adam Project”
  • “Moon Knight”
So a mixed bag. Also, be cautious about early social media reactions; those always skew very positive, even for films that turn out to be stinkers. Your first real indication of how a studio sees a property is its release date. March is not considered a prime spot, (the first two weeks are sometimes considered part of the January-February dump moths, though the end of March is not terrible). It's a cautious release spot.

Next good indication comes by how late the review embargo is pushed, especially on a new property. If the embargo goes right up the release date, that's generally a bad sign. But there are always exceptions. At this point my feelings for this film are guarded optimism.
Great points. I could have sworn Top Gun had a SB ad last year, but maybe it was during pre-game or post-game. At any rate, interesting that The Lost City and Sonic 2 were both Paramount March releases, and both performed pretty well for what they were. The Lost City (30M open, 100M Domestic, 190M Worldwide) was a non-IP romantic/comedy/adventure and one of the best performing films of that type since well before Covid, while Sonic 2 (72M open, 191M Domestic, 400M Worldwide) is probably a closer target to D&D. Sonic 2 has a 96% fresh rating with moviegoers.

I think you are spot on that the release date was set very cautiously and before they knew what kind of final product they had or how audiences would react to it. Between the screening that happened this week, the Super Bowl ad, and the fact that it is screening at SxSW in Austin, I'd guess they believe they have a film that will appeal to a mass audience and are doing everything they can to get the word out early. With Super Mario opening the next week, they will need a big open to keep up momentum if they want to reach $400-500M Worldwide.

Birmy

Adventurer
I don't envy the filmmakers that have to try and make D&D work as a movie, especially with so many different ideas of what people want from it and an already embarrassing history of adaptations. I might eat crow on this six weeks from now, but I think it looks really promising and I hope it winds up being a piece of work this hobby can be proud of.

I don't envy the filmmakers that have to try and make D&D work as a movie, especially with so many different ideas of what people want from it and an already embarrassing history of adaptations. I might eat crow on this six weeks from now, but I think it looks really promising and I hope it winds up being a piece of work this hobby can be proud of.
I don't think you are going to be the one eating crow. The more I see, the happier I am. I was cautiously hopeful to start with. On the other hand, those people who thought there could never be a good D&D movie... well crow could be endangered around here for a while.

Of course, I may have just cursed the film... then I can dine on the resident crows here (we have big ones) :D

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
A non D&D fan called it as epic as LotR

Angry Season 9 GIF by Shameless
Well, now, wait a minute, wait a minute, are we talking about the Moria-Helm's Deep-Minas Tirith bit, or the walking through Mordor bit? There's an important distinction!

Every 73 years?
p1016_p_v10_aa.jpg
I'm sure this movie will be fine, but only the sprightliest sprite, the nimblest elf, the wickedest witch, or the devil himself can ever outfox the Fox.

I'm prepared to re-evaluate my position if Chris Pine narrates either set of credits in song.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads