D&D Insider: Losing your toys

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
So by subscribing once a year, you can get the biggest part of the Compendium info stored in your PC.

well, seeing as how I still have access to the compendium info LIVE FROM THE WEB. It's all a little screwy. i expect the big compendium update is to plug this hole.

Wizard

“I am the fire that burns, the choking fog, the storm that rains devastation on our foes.”

CLASS TRAITS
Role: Controller. You exert control through magical effects that cover large areas—sometimes hindering foes, sometimes consuming them with fire.
Power Source: Arcane. You channel arcane forces through extensive study, hidden knowledge, and intricate preparation. To you, magic is an art form, an expressive and powerful method by which you seek to control the world around you.
Key Abilities: Intelligence, Wisdom, Dexterity

Armor Proficiencies: Cloth.
Weapon Proficiencies: Dagger, quarterstaff.
Implement: Orbs, staffs, wands
Bonus to Defense: +2 Will.

Hit Points at 1st Level: 10+ Constitution Score.
Hit Points per Level Gained: 4
Healing Surges per Day: 6+ Constitution Modifier.

Trained Skills: Arcana. From the class skills list below, choose 3 more trained skills at 1st level.
Class Skills: Arcana (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Dungeoneering (Wis), History (Int), Insight (Wis), Nature (Wis), Religion (Int).

Build Options: Control Wizard, War Wizard.
Class features: Arcane Implement Mastery, Cantrips, Ritual Casting, Spellbook.

I got that with my magic workaround.

darjr

I crit!
... If you stop being a subscriber you are no longer able to get new updates but it does not change what you already have access to. If you need an update or lose your copy you can always subscribe again and get a fresh update. ...

Thank you for that clarification. Knowing that is how WotC wants it to work and expects it to work is great news. I know a couple people that can't afford either a year or an ongoing subscription but can afford a one month fee from time to time. And actually one or both of them may already be doing this.

This is fantastic, thank you.

Festivus

First Post
I'd love to see a correction, but here's the Wizards FAQ:

Emphasis mine on the last part. It's pretty obvious that you need to be an active subscriber for full functionality.

The website doesn't say exactly what happens to the software when you cancel, but the phone rep specifically said it was downgraded to the demo version. We exchanged several Q&As on that point and the answers sounded well rehearsed and confident. I did not get the impression that he was uncertain or confused on the matter.

I use the CB offline all the time for higher levels... I frequently do on the van to work.

chriton227

Explorer
So by subscribing once a year, you can get the biggest part of the Compendium info stored in your PC.

Yes, but I expect that if a large portion of the user base started subscribing for one month a year to grab all the updates and then canceling for the next 11 months, WotC would either alter the program to require regular subscription activation checks, or would discontinue the product entirely as unprofitable. People trying to use loopholes such as this is what encourages companies to use things like restrictive DRM, or discourage the company from making products like this completely.

When deciding whether or not to do this, factor in whether you value what the company is providing and the effort of the people working to build the product for you, and whether you would be pleased if you were a business owner and had a customer using similar tactics when buying your services. It strikes me kind of like finding out that the kid down the street charges by the square foot to mow lawns, so you only have him do it once every 6 weeks to save a few bucks, even though it is going to take him three times longer than if you had him do it every week or two. After you did this a few times, I'm pretty sure I know what the kid would tell you to do with your lawn.

Remove ads