D&D 5E D&D Lore Changes: Multiversal Focus & Fey Goblins of Prehistory

WotC's Jeremy Crawford revealed a couple of the lore changes in Monsters of the Multiverse.
  • The big shift is toward the multiverse as the game's main perspective rather than a specific setting. The game is shifting towards a multiversal focus, with a variety of worlds and settings.
  • Universe-spanning mythical story beats, such as deep lore on goblinoids going back to 1st Edition, and the gods they had before Maglubiyet. Prior to Magulbiyet unifying them, goblinoids were folk of the feywild in keeping with 'real-world' folklore.
  • Changelings aren't just Eberron, but they've been everywhere -- you just don't necessarily know it. Their origin is also in the realm of the fey.

Last edited:

Gadget

Adventurer
I've never been a big fan of the "multiverse" focus, but I understand it from a business and marketing perspective; besides, I was also never a big fan of "everything is Forgotten Realms" either. I had always viewed goblins as a sort of wicked fey, so that kind of matches up though.

I generally like the idea of the three main Goblinoid races coming from Feywild, and that they're three separate races.

Though I'm sure some have pondered Hobgoblins being half-Human half-Goblin, and maybe by extension Bugbears being half-Orc half-Goblin.

I read it differently than other posters.

If you have core books that are not forgotten realms, you are actually able to add races(classes, backgrounds) to the multiverse that don't necessarily have to exist in faerun (eberron, dragonlance...).

So the phb will present the biggest common denominator which makes a race unique. And from there settings can add anything they want.
Warforged in phb? No problem. Forgotten reals does not have them necessarily.

Erdric Dragin

Adventurer
The massive Feywild emphasis is both overrated and too overdone. When I think of D&D, I thought of a myriad of real-world fantasy myths from all corners of the globe being represented, from the Phillipines to ancient Aztec to the various countries of Africa, to the Middle East, etc.

Not half the game being based on Euro-styled Fey lore.

The massive Feywild emphasis is both overrated and too overdone. When I think of D&D, I thought of a myriad of real-world fantasy myths from all corners of the globe being represented, from the Phillipines to ancient Aztec to the various countries of Africa, to the Middle East, etc.

Not half the game being based on Euro-styled Fey lore.
Plenty of places have a concept of a Spirit World, and while 3e presented the Plane of Faerie and Spirit World as both optional planes. I think the originally 4e concept of Feywild is both the Plane of Faerie and the Spirit World.

At least in the 5e cosmology, I see no reason for there being a separate Spirit World because a lot of it's conceptual space is already taken by Feywild.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I generally like the idea of the three main Goblinoid races coming from Feywild, and that they're three separate races.
I like them coming from the Faewild and obviously they are different enough from each other to merit different racial mechanics. But lorewise, I prefer them to be one “lineage” or whatever we want to call it, that just happen to be incredibly physically diverse. But, I like my goblins to be more like this

1643329959666.jpeg

Than like this

1643329817921.jpeg

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases