D&D 5E D&D Lore Changes: Multiversal Focus & Fey Goblins of Prehistory

WotC's Jeremy Crawford revealed a couple of the lore changes in Monsters of the Multiverse. The big shift is toward the multiverse as the game's main perspective rather than a specific setting. The game is shifting towards a multiversal focus, with a variety of worlds and settings. Universe-spanning mythical story beats, such as deep lore on goblinoids going back to 1st Edition, and the gods...

WotC's Jeremy Crawford revealed a couple of the lore changes in Monsters of the Multiverse.
  • The big shift is toward the multiverse as the game's main perspective rather than a specific setting. The game is shifting towards a multiversal focus, with a variety of worlds and settings.
  • Universe-spanning mythical story beats, such as deep lore on goblinoids going back to 1st Edition, and the gods they had before Maglubiyet. Prior to Magulbiyet unifying them, goblinoids were folk of the feywild in keeping with 'real-world' folklore.
  • Changelings aren't just Eberron, but they've been everywhere -- you just don't necessarily know it. Their origin is also in the realm of the fey.

Reynard

Legend
Ya, I don't read it as "wrong" at all.....I think people sometimes read stuff that isn't stated. But, I suppose I could be wrong. What is the effect on gameplay if it is one of the things you say?
Serious question: why does it have to affect gameplay for it to be unpalatable?

Amrûnril

Adventurer
I read it differently than other posters.

If you have core books that are not forgotten realms, you are actually able to add races(classes, backgrounds) to the multiverse that don't necessarily have to exist in faerun (eberron, dragonlance...).

So the phb will present the biggest common denominator which makes a race unique. And from there settings can add anything they want.
Warforged in phb? No problem. Forgotten reals does not have them necessarily.

Addding options that don't exist in the Forgotten Realms is great, but it doesn't require presenting things as a unified multiverse. It works just as well (better, I'd argue) with genuinely independent settings or with a setting-agnostic approach.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Interesting. So the project I've been working on the past year, Twilight Fables, was a fey/folklore book geared towards the original folklore, rather than how D&D has interpreted things over the past few decades.

And now Jeremy is announcing that's how they are doing things going forward. I hope the $25,000 I've spent so far isn't down the drain....🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

*edit I'm being a bit tongue in cheek here. I have the Multiverse book, and what they are doing isn't the same as what I've been doing; I've gone a LOT further into the actual lore of the Otherworld in TF.

Last edited:

Reynard

Legend
Addding options that don't exist in the Forgotten Realms is great, but it doesn't require presenting things as a unified multiverse. It works just as well (better, I'd argue) with genuinely independent settings or with a setting-agnostic approach.
I think campaign worlds should be as isolated and distinct as possible, with their own gods, races and even classes. The 2E way, essentially. Groups that want to cross pollinate, whether by stealing a class or having full on Sliders style adventures, are going to do so anyway. But when it comes to fantasy worlds, more unique is better IMO.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The tealeaves suggest that straight, gonzo Spelljammer is incoming.
Yeah…you prolly right, sadly. Oh well, just means that people with the same preferences for space opera fantasy as I have will be more likely to put out cool dnd space opera stuff I’ll want!
We can only hope. Oh my stars.
Stars? Are there even stats in spelljammer?

Reynard

Legend
Interesting. So the project I've been working on the past year, Twilight Fables, was a fey/folklore book geared towards the original folklore, rather than how D&D has interpreted things over the past few decades.

And now Jeremy is announcing that's how they are doing things going forward. I hope the $25,000 I've spent so far isn't down the drain....🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Don't worry, I don't suspect WotC is going to get too "realistic" with their lore. They still have to keep it D&D.

I wasn't complaining, but please Morrus, you are smarter than that. Two small paragraphs that are generic is not what that person, or what other people who want lore, are asking for. Adding it all up and saying there's a lot of text is a meaningless gesture and only serves to invalidate the desires of other people. This doesn't mean their desires are worth more, and isn't a commentary on the text in question, but what you replied with me was basically like trying to use a loophole to proven argument.
I think you are taking Morrus reply to seriously- relax a little

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah…you prolly right, sadly. Oh well, just means that people with the same preferences for space opera fantasy as I have will be more likely to put out cool dnd space opera stuff I’ll want!
Well, to give you some hope for your tastes, while I think they are doing the goofy gonzo Spelljammer thing right now...long term, I think there is significance to WotC maintaining Star Frontiers, Gamma World, and Boot Hill in print and defending their copyrights. I think those may well see the light of day as future D&D Settings, though a bit more far out.
Stars? Are there even stats in spelljammer?
Not as we understand them, no, not really. Much more ancient kooky astronomy, but there are burning Suns in some Spheres?

Remove ads

Remove ads