• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Mapping/Character Software Help

Kirowan

First Post
Hi all,

I'm looking to get back into D&D after an extended absence. I like the tactical combat rules, but I don't want to use minis/counters and battlemaps because I just don't want to deal with markers and getting counters ready. I have a laptop to use when I game and an LCD monitor I can use. I have the digital counter collections from Fiery Dragon. I was thinking of simply using the counters on digital battlemaps.

Is there any software that would be good for this sort of thing? I'd like to be able to reveal maps as we play and insert scan maps from printed modules?

Also, I'm looking for a good software for character generation. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Nick

Kirowan

First Post
Both Maptool and DM Genie seem excellent. Too bad I can't run them side by side without two laptops (I wouldn't want the PCs seeing my DM Genie notes).

Nick

havoclad

Explorer
Kirowan said:
Both Maptool and DM Genie seem excellent. Too bad I can't run them side by side without two laptops (I wouldn't want the PCs seeing my DM Genie notes).

Nick

I hear that!

What I'd really like is to run two monitors, with one being a 42" LCD or plasma for everyone to watch MapTool, and then use my laptops regular screen for DMGenie.

Now I only have to convince the guy who's house we game at to get the large LCD monitor :)

Remove ads