D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie: 'A Sigh of Relief' & Regé-Jean Page Plays A Paladin

One of the stars of the upcoming D&D movie -- Regé-Jean Page of Bridgerton fame -- spoke to Variety about the production. He also reveals he is playing a paladin! According to Variety -- Page was immediately drawn to the project based on the film’s script, predicting that it will be a “huge sigh of relief for ‘Dungeons & Dragons’ fans everywhere,” noting that in a post-MCU world, genre...

One of the stars of the upcoming D&D movie -- Regé-Jean Page of Bridgerton fame -- spoke to Variety about the production. He also reveals he is playing a paladin!

rege-jean-page-5-16x9-1.jpg

According to Variety --

Page was immediately drawn to the project based on the film’s script, predicting that it will be a “huge sigh of relief for ‘Dungeons & Dragons’ fans everywhere,” noting that in a post-MCU world, genre storytelling has been elevated and, in his estimation, this film steps up to and continues to raise the bar.

While he hasn't played D&D, Page thinks of himself as a 'second-generation Dungeons and Drgaoner" --

“I’ve listened to a couple of ‘Dungeons and Dragons’ podcasts in my time. I played a ton of JRPGs [Japanese role-playing games] and basically everything that’s come out of it,” he explains. “I played a ton of ‘Diablo’ as a teenager, so I’m used to the fact that I play a paladin — that’s just what I do, and I know what that means, to a degree. I watched my friends play ‘Baldur’s Gate,’ so I’m like a second-generation ‘Dungeons and Dragoner.”

Variety also spoke to the directors, Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley, about Page's role and performance in the film --

When asked if Page, who’s mostly been seen in dramas, like “Roots,” “For the People” and “Bridgerton,” will get to show off his comedy chops, Goldstein teases: “[The role] allows him to show a full spectrum of his talent.”

“He naturally exudes a sense of dignity and heroism that is fitting for the fantasy genre, and is perfect for the role we cast him in,” Daley adds, explaining what made Page a good candidate for the film’s ensemble, which features Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, Justice Smith, Sophia Lillis, Chloe Coleman, Daisy Head, Jason Wong and Hugh Grant[/callout[

bulletmeat

Adventurer
This isn’t going to be a goofy comedy. I’m thinking the movie will primarily be a fun, action-packed adventure movie with the occasional bits of subtle, organic, humor, clever sarcastic one-liners, etc.

Think Indiana Jones or the best MCU movie for examples ...
The first movie was described this way as well. And then there's the Crystal Skull...

No one will know until they see it.

Dausuul

Legend
hm, little bit frightened now.. "comedy" ? we've seen comedy in a D&D movie before, we all know where that went..
It was the interviewer who asked about his "comedy chops," and the response was that he would get to show off the "full spectrum" of his talents.

I think a lot of us develop an instinct to bristle when someone suggests "comedy" in the context of D&D, because there is such a long history of D&D being treated as a mean-spirited punch line by mainstream culture. But there is a difference between lighthearted action (Indiana Jones, Pirates of the Caribbean) and parody.

hopeless

Adventurer
Depends on who he is a paladin of mind you.
He could easily be playing a Thayan Knight for example, until we learn something more concrete all we can do is assume what they might be playing.

Remove ads

Remove ads