D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie: 'A Sigh of Relief' & Regé-Jean Page Plays A Paladin

One of the stars of the upcoming D&D movie -- Regé-Jean Page of Bridgerton fame -- spoke to Variety about the production. He also reveals he is playing a paladin!

rege-jean-page-5-16x9-1.jpg

According to Variety --

Page was immediately drawn to the project based on the film’s script, predicting that it will be a “huge sigh of relief for ‘Dungeons & Dragons’ fans everywhere,” noting that in a post-MCU world, genre storytelling has been elevated and, in his estimation, this film steps up to and continues to raise the bar.

While he hasn't played D&D, Page thinks of himself as a 'second-generation Dungeons and Drgaoner" --

“I’ve listened to a couple of ‘Dungeons and Dragons’ podcasts in my time. I played a ton of JRPGs [Japanese role-playing games] and basically everything that’s come out of it,” he explains. “I played a ton of ‘Diablo’ as a teenager, so I’m used to the fact that I play a paladin — that’s just what I do, and I know what that means, to a degree. I watched my friends play ‘Baldur’s Gate,’ so I’m like a second-generation ‘Dungeons and Dragoner.”

Variety also spoke to the directors, Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley, about Page's role and performance in the film --

When asked if Page, who’s mostly been seen in dramas, like “Roots,” “For the People” and “Bridgerton,” will get to show off his comedy chops, Goldstein teases: “[The role] allows him to show a full spectrum of his talent.”

“He naturally exudes a sense of dignity and heroism that is fitting for the fantasy genre, and is perfect for the role we cast him in,” Daley adds, explaining what made Page a good candidate for the film’s ensemble, which features Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, Justice Smith, Sophia Lillis, Chloe Coleman, Daisy Head, Jason Wong and Hugh Grant[/callout[

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Depends on who he is a paladin of mind you.
He could easily be playing a Thayan Knight for example, until we learn something more concrete all we can do is assume what they might be playing.

Nah.

They wouldn't use the term Paladin if they didn't want to evoke specific ideals about Lawful Goodness.

Especially the part where the director say "He naturally exudes a sense of dignity and heroism that is fitting for the fantasy genre, and is perfect for the role we cast him in” which flatly states that the role he's in is a dignified and heroic one.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
What do you mean by "For whom?" in this context?

And how would you interpret "Dignity and Heroism" that would make him a knight of an evil regime?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
This isn’t going to be a goofy comedy. I’m thinking the movie will primarily be a fun, action-packed adventure movie with the occasional bits of subtle, organic, humor, clever sarcastic one-liners, etc.

Think Indiana Jones or the best MCU movie for examples ...

The authors of this movie also wrote Spider-Man: Homecoming, which is probably a good example of how they'd mix action, comedy, and serious tone.

MarkB

Legend
I know I'm quoting your full statement, but this part is odd since every D&D (and every PnP RPG) I've played in have had a dose of comedy - from sarcasm to full-on slapstick
Absolutely. I couldn't imagine getting through a humourless session of D&D, and for the D&D movie to be played arrow-straight and dead serious would be the worst outcome as far as I'm concerned.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
As it's Page who is saying Paladin, and basing that off of playing video games and watching his friends there is no reason to think that he's talking about some off-brand concept.

hopeless

Adventurer
Depends on the regime.
Remember they do mention something about a con artist becoming the leader of Neverwinter and if Rene's character answers to them and they (the con artist) takes their orders from Thay then how far would Rene's character will go before they refuse to accept "legal" orders that violate their oath or pervert it beyond recognition?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Depends on the regime.
Remember they do mention something about a con artist becoming the leader of Neverwinter and if Rene's character answers to them and they (the con artist) takes their orders from Thay then how far would Rene's character will go before they refuse to accept "legal" orders that violate their oath or pervert it beyond recognition?

So, nobody is going to be able to PROVE you wrong.

However, pulling bait-and-switch with your early marketing and casting news sounds like a remarkably dunderheaded approach. Setting expectations and then failing them like that is a good way to cheese off an audience.

hopeless

Adventurer
So, nobody is going to be able to PROVE you wrong.

However, pulling bait-and-switch with your early marketing and casting news sounds like a remarkably dunderheaded approach. Setting expectations and then failing them like that is a good way to cheese off an audience.
I wasn't pulling a bait and switch and going over what I typed before I can see where that can be assumed.
It goes back to what I typed above until we have something concrete all we have is these notes and I questioned everything as that's how I look at this.
You don't understandable but this is a discussion not an echo chamber and I wasn't claiming to be correct only to doubt whats been discussed as there are plenty of ways this could be done.
Now given the core group was supposed to be a wizard, a barbarian, a druid and a rogue where does that leave Rene's character?
Captain of the Guard?
Is he sent after the escaped prisoners and is actually a recurring nemesis until they discover who they're really up against and have to call in back up?
What is the Thayan equivalent of a Paladin then if not a Thayan Knight?

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases