D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie: 'A Sigh of Relief' & Regé-Jean Page Plays A Paladin

One of the stars of the upcoming D&D movie -- Regé-Jean Page of Bridgerton fame -- spoke to Variety about the production. He also reveals he is playing a paladin!

rege-jean-page-5-16x9-1.jpg

According to Variety --

Page was immediately drawn to the project based on the film’s script, predicting that it will be a “huge sigh of relief for ‘Dungeons & Dragons’ fans everywhere,” noting that in a post-MCU world, genre storytelling has been elevated and, in his estimation, this film steps up to and continues to raise the bar.

While he hasn't played D&D, Page thinks of himself as a 'second-generation Dungeons and Drgaoner" --

“I’ve listened to a couple of ‘Dungeons and Dragons’ podcasts in my time. I played a ton of JRPGs [Japanese role-playing games] and basically everything that’s come out of it,” he explains. “I played a ton of ‘Diablo’ as a teenager, so I’m used to the fact that I play a paladin — that’s just what I do, and I know what that means, to a degree. I watched my friends play ‘Baldur’s Gate,’ so I’m like a second-generation ‘Dungeons and Dragoner.”

Variety also spoke to the directors, Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley, about Page's role and performance in the film --

When asked if Page, who’s mostly been seen in dramas, like “Roots,” “For the People” and “Bridgerton,” will get to show off his comedy chops, Goldstein teases: “[The role] allows him to show a full spectrum of his talent.”

“He naturally exudes a sense of dignity and heroism that is fitting for the fantasy genre, and is perfect for the role we cast him in,” Daley adds, explaining what made Page a good candidate for the film’s ensemble, which features Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, Justice Smith, Sophia Lillis, Chloe Coleman, Daisy Head, Jason Wong and Hugh Grant[/callout[

hopeless

Adventurer
Did Screenrant clarify that earlier article because if so I didn't read about that.
The latest article is now talking about Rene being a Paladin and nothing about the mistake Screenrant claimed about the original article.
So I take it that includes the entire article about it being set around Neverwinter entirely then?

hopeless

Adventurer
In this film, characters will conform to their traditional archetypes. Paladins are lawful stupid, rogues are roguish, wizards are geeky, druids are tree hugging hippies, etc. You can't subvert an architype until you establish the baseline.
Still makes me wonder if Rene is playing the Rock's role of the Federal Marshal from the Fast & the Furious series where he is tracking down Vin Diesel.
In this case he's tracking down two escaped convicts only their actions have revealed a much more dangerous threat and might result in them teaming up to handle that problem.
If this was using Neverwinter its why I wondered if they got the classes wrong and Rodriguez's character is the rogue who survived the Thayan attack on Neverwinter that killed Xuna's parents.
I know they're not going to make use of that stuff, but it bears wondering, when is this set exactly as far as the time line is concerned if its set in Faerun?

Mort

Legend
Supporter
The signs are good. I have hopes. I will be seeing it even if it's terrible, just as I did the first one.
Best not to associate the two!

The first D&D Movie was by a superfan who managed to buy the rights and secure financing. He directed the movie despite having no experience. He actually managed to secure surprisingly good acting talent - but that couldn't make up for the script or the fact that he literally knew nothing about directing.

This movie, in addition to having top notch talent, has the writer/director duo behind Game Night and Spiderman: Homecoming. It also has Hasbro willing to throw as much money as necessary because they want a successful movie to their name to enhance the already booming IP.

Does any of that guarantee success? Sadly, no - but the signs are about as good as they can be.

Last edited:

hopeless

Adventurer
Wasn't there something about him being forced to use that script instead of what he wanted to do?
But yes it does sound more hopeful, only hope they can avoid the pitfalls of of other movies whose franchises have been hijacked.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
That ... could be one interpretation? But:

"I played a ton of ‘Diablo’ as a teenager, so I’m used to the fact that I play a paladin — that’s just what I do, and I know what that means, to a degree."

Why would being used to playing a Paladin in Diablo matter at all if he's playing a Warrior, Rogue, Sorcerer, or Monk in a D&D movie?

ccs

41st lv DM
Am I alone in that nothing I've heard about this movie raises my expectation above "low"?
I mean, I doubt I'll see something =/worse than the ScyFy channel crap, but at the same time I'm not expecting anything more than mediocre....

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Am I alone in that nothing I've heard about this movie raises my expectation above "low"?
I mean, I doubt I'll see something =/worse than the ScyFy channel crap, but at the same time I'm not expecting anything more than mediocre....
That's subjective and sure the movie could disappoint (many do), but so far we know:

1. It's got a proven writer/director team, at least one of whom is a "known" massive D&D fan;
2. The full backing of Hasbro;
3. Several well known actors who are both likely to do well as long as the script is good AND who will likely draw in viewers.

As stated before, that certainly doesn't guarantee success, but it certainly shows they're giving it their absolute best shot.

So for me the expectations are hopeful+plus.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases