D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie: Action Packed, Funny as Hell

According to Justice Smith, one of the stars of the upcoming Dungeons and Dragons movie, the film is "action-packed, thrilling, funny as hell". https://www.enworld.org/threads/michelle-rodriguez-justice-smith-join-d-d-movie.678118/ In a conversation with Collider, Smith said: [Goldstein and Daley are] incredible. They’re so funny and they have such clear vision. I loved Game Night. That...

According to Justice Smith, one of the stars of the upcoming Dungeons and Dragons movie, the film is "action-packed, thrilling, funny as hell".

dungeons-and-dragons-filming.jpg

In a conversation with Collider, Smith said:

[Goldstein and Daley are] incredible. They’re so funny and they have such clear vision. I loved Game Night. That movie is so good and so funny. And it’s such a clear, specific story. It doesn’t try and be anything that it’s not. I think they approached this the same way. I can’t spoil too much but it’s action-packed, thrilling, funny as hell… it’s all of the things and yet it has a clear idea. That specificity is key in storytelling and John and Jonathan do that so well, being like, "This is the story we’re telling but they’re making it enjoyable the entire time." This is me not trying to spoil the movie in any regards. I’ve given away no details.

The movie, which also stars Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, Regé-Jean Page, Hugh Grant, and Sophia Lillis, is scheduled for March 3rd, 2023.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I hope so, but I would not describe most of Marvel as “funny as hell”* - mostly, ”An action movie with lighthearted moments”

* except Guardians, which I would describe as “Irritating, but funny as hell”
I mean, I find myself laughing consistently through most of them. Thor: Ragnorak and Guardians of the Galaxy are particularly great examples, and Guardians is the movie that the D&D film producers have referenced as a touchstone over the years.

Zarithar

Adventurer
I remember reading early on they were going for a Guardians of the Galaxy vibe. I'd be fine with that if they do it right. Guardians had the right mix of comedy and a more serious tone when needed. Too bad James Gunn wasn't available!

pming

Legend
I had a buddy clear the room one time, that thing had some hang time, it was like a poltergeist, it still stunk 20 minutes later.
Yup. Every group has a Zoltan. :)

(my friend, Zoltan...yes, that's his real name... is infamous for his flatulence [specific diabetes drugs he has to take and it...uh...'doesnt' agree with him']! It's impressive, to say the least! I think he's cleared the room multiple times, and brought tears to the eyes of all of us at the table; usually at least once every session or two).

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Yes if used sparringly. The quote "funny as hell" makes me think that theres alot of it.
While it can be used sparingly it need not be. Marvel has plenty of examples of it not used sparingly and still turning out a great movie. Guardians of the Galaxy is an overt example but there's plenty of them. Heck looks at the most recent Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings. They built up tension with action and then uses well-timed humor for the release. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Marlon Wayans was in the middle of filming Requiem for a Dream. I'm pretty sure he was one of the few people in the cast that knew this was a stinker and hammed it up on-purpose (see also Jeremy Irons).

Remember that time they tried to add humor to a D&D movie and cast Marlon Wayans?
Pepperidge Farm remembers.

In the immortal words of Profion, "GOOD, GOOD! I CAN USE EVERY OUNCE OF YOUR RAGE! YATATATATA!"

I dunno, Jeremy Irons’ scene-chewing was pretty great.

Ixal

Hero
Sounds like they copied the Marvel formula.

Also, as it has already been mentioned, the actors describing their own movies is rather worthless. They might even have it in their contract to praise it no matter what.

While I think the market isn't there for a parody, I'd love to have characters totally unable to remember any single NPC name. "we must tell Grink ! Whom? Our King ! Err no it's the bartender, I think you're mistaking him with Prince Lisweldin... Close enough, that guy."

R_J_K75

Legend
Yup. Every group has a Zoltan. :)

(my friend, Zoltan...yes, that's his real name... is infamous for his flatulence [specific diabetes drugs he has to take and it...uh...'doesnt' agree with him']! It's impressive, to say the least! I think he's cleared the room multiple times, and brought tears to the eyes of all of us at the table; usually at least once every session or two).

^_^

Paul L. Ming
Talking about failing your save vs "Stinking Cloud"!!

Remove ads

Remove ads