D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie Hit or Flop?

nevin

Hero
Encanto crushed Honor Among Thieves internationally. They were basically even domestically.

To little surprise, the Latin America numbers are 50% of that international difference. Another 1/4 of the international difference is Russia, where US companies aren't showing films right now.

Also Encanto's long tail, which D&D:HAT won't have because there's so many more films out now, made about 8 million after Day 40 (where D&D is). D&D domestic will probably pick up 5m at most.

disney doesn't care about long tails. for them it's a flop. Most studios are the same. There are many movies that became very popular after release made quite a bit of money but hollywood and disney rarely ever go back to them.

nevin

Hero
Disney stock took a big hit today and streaming costs are a reason. I think the new wisdom about this value that steaming services provide is starting to take a hit.
this has been predicted many times. Disney doubled down on not putting all thier old content into disney + making the service less desirable, and at the same time as wayyyy to many companies decided to launch thier own streaming services. the biggest draw in my opinion for a disney service would be to put all the old content into it and let parents have the ultimate channel for thier kids. I only have it for my godson but everytime i want to show him an old disney movie i have to pull out my DVD's . That's a recipe for failure.

nevin

Hero
Disney stock took a big hit today and streaming costs are a reason. I think the new wisdom about this value that steaming services provide is starting to take a hit.
plus the 180 or so billion dollars in hit to disney + because of the content they are pulling from Disney+ with the merger of Hulu. Losing millions of subs and they are pulling content.......?????

Zardnaar

Legend
plus the 180 or so billion dollars in hit to disney + because of the content they are pulling from Disney+ with the merger of Hulu. Losing millions of subs and they are pulling content.......?????

Yeah. We've enjoyed STAR outside the USA and some andom national geographic stuff.

Outside that it's pretty much just the Star Wars stuff.

Technicall Disney "Sleeping Beauty" was a flop when it was released, but now they are earning money with the merchandising. Encanto has got enough value as franchise. And Disney needs making money with the merchandising.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
disney doesn't care about long tails. for them it's a flop.
Er, has anyone told Disney this? They're running special Encanto-themed Disney cruises, had an Encanto stage show tour, have had the Disneyland castle transformed into Casa Madrigal in the past and Lin Manuel-Miranda -- one of Disney's big lyricists nowadays -- says a sequel is a matter of "when, not if."

Encanto was a giant hit on streaming, as any parent of an elementary schooler in the recent past knows.

Every single one of the songs on the soundtrack made into the Billboard Top 100 and "We Don't Talk About Bruno" is the company's first number one hit since "A Whole New World" in 1992.

Seriously, folks, stop with assuming that box office numbers are all that matter.

Last edited:

Jaeger

That someone better
They're running special Encanto-themed Disney cruises, had an Encanto stage show tour, have had the Disneyland castle transformed into Casa Madrigal in the past and Lin Manuel-Miranda -- one of Disney's big lyricists nowadays -- says a sequel is a matter of "when, not if."
And Encanto was a giant hit on streaming, as any parent of an elementary schooler in the recent past knows.
Seriously, folks, stop with assuming that box office numbers are all that matter.

Of course there are exceptions. Nobody said that they're not.

But exceptions are not examples.

Because back-end hits like 'Encanto' rarely happen.

Where's all the excitement for new Lightyear content, Strange World, The Black Cauldron, Treasure Planet, or the push for a John Carter sequel?

Encanto is just a timely outlier compared to the absolute laundry list of box-office flops that disney has turned out over time.

Box office numbers matter, precisely because box office performance is highly indicative of a films future earnings potential.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Paramount Pictures is apparently in rickety shape financially. I wouldn't bet against Paramount+ folding this year or even them selling off franchises to try and save the company.

What this means for the D&D movie franchise, if there is to be one, remains to be seen. Depending on the existing deals, it may complicate things.

(Also, you should probably buy a copy of the movie, rather than just stream it, if you want to be able to reliably watch it a year from now.)

Remove ads