D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie Hit or Flop?

Zardnaar

Legend
So I have been thinking about how well the D&D Movie will go financially. This thread is purely about the financial results of the movie not its quality.

So what counts as a hit or flop objectively? Generally I go with expenses X2 at the box office. Cost of production plus marketing then double it. This is because of the way the box office returns work.

If a movie falls under this number by a bit it's a Flop if it more than double its probably mad money. If it's a lot higher it's a hit a lot lower a bomb. No amount of Hollywood accounting can change the box office take.

If it's close it's a lot harder to call and one needs to look at where and when the movie made money. Closer to opening weekend and in USA studio gets more money. Longer it runs the more money the theatre makes and China pays the least in terms of returns AFAIK.

So that's the objective take on the box office. If it's a bomb it's gonna be obvious along with a smash hit.

Not sire how much this movie cost to maked and promote iirc it's around 90-100 million fir tge movie not sure on marketing but I'm guessing the break even point at the box office is 260-300 million range.

Last edited:

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Let's be more specific.

Currently, it's projected at the following:

Opening weekend between $50-$60 million.
Total Domestic: $150-$175 million.
Total Worldwide: $400-$450 million.

(There will be updated numbers as we get closer to the opening on March 31, 2023).

Do you take the OVER or the UNDER

Personally, I take the under. I think it will perform slightly under expectations. I hope I'm wrong.

Zardnaar

Legend
If it makes a profit then it's not a flop. If it doesn't profit at all then it's a flop.

Yup there's Hollywood accounting to consider though. Hence if the number is sufficiently large or small it won't matter to much.

This is purely if the movie makes money or not for the studio.

Zardnaar

Legend
Let's be more specific.

Currently, it's projected at the following:

Opening weekend between $50-$60 million.
Total Domestic: $150-$175 million.
Total Worldwide: $400-$450 million.

(There will be updated numbers as we get closer to the opening on March 31, 2023).

Do you take the OVER or the UNDER

Personally, I take the under. I think it will perform slightly under expectations. I hope I'm wrong.

Well if those numbers hold up it will make money unless they went totally bonkers on marketing costs ir a huge % of Worldwide is from China.

Projections can be horribly wrong though.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I'll take the under and will bet anyone who wants a random copy of one of my zines (while supplies last) against whatever you put up.

Remove ads