D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie Moves Forward With Deal With Former Marvel Exec Jeremy Latcham

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I want D&D style magic. I don't want the older brother from Onward or the Ancient One from Dr. Strange explaining how and why it works.

That's what I mean about it just happening. There's no in world explantation for swinging a sword, so no prattle about why magic works
IMHO, it should be like Eragon (the book series, not the crappy movie) where you can learn magic easily just by saying certain words and learning the proper ways to say them. This would be more cinematic than having it just happen, or having the characters have to study for it.

Or, they could just have whoever the magic user is just be a sorcerer, where magic happens when and how it wants.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I want D&D style magic. I don't want the older brother from Onward or the Ancient One from Dr. Strange explaining how and why it works.

That's what I mean about it just happening. There's no in world explantation for swinging a sword, so no prattle about why magic works
I guess they could get around making up explanations by just having the mage character already be experienced, so they know how it works with basically no information needed.

Traycor

Explorer
I guess they could get around making up explanations by just having the mage character already be experienced, so they know how it works with basically no information needed.
Or not have any of the heroes be magic users, such as the companions from Drizzt. Viewers would learn the rules of magic by inference from afar, since villains or whatever would use it. By the second film, if one of our main heroes is a wizard, no one would question it.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Even a first level character knows that their spells work. They aren't a moron.

The first level fighter gets to be stabby without speaking aloud "the force must impact just at this point and I must exhale a split second before contact.

Cast the spell. The spell works.

"Who is Elminster" doesn't matter. He is a powerful magical mentor. That is enough for audiences who don't care, and anything you would try and explain is probably wrong, so the nitpick fans will never like it.

There probably will not even be an Elminster in the movie because, to the average audience that does not know much, if anything, about the Realms, Elminster will just be a Gandalf knock-off to them. In the same way, I just cannot see any D&D movies having halflings or treants either. And if goblins or orcs are used as bad guys, they are going to have to do something major to also not seem like knock-offs of the LotR movies.

So while the tone being similar to LotR would be good, they have to be careful to not look like a cheap copy of those movies. or it will end up being another unintentional joke of a movie.

Traycor

Explorer
Elminster will just be a Gandalf knock-off to them. In the same way, I just cannot see any D&D movies having halflings or treants either. And if goblins or orcs are used as bad guys, they are going to have to do something major to also not seem like knock-offs of the LotR movies.
Totally agree. Fortunately, there are lots of other "common" monsters to pull from if you need fodder. Just pick something that matches the style of the villain or the theme of the movie. It's better anyway if the monsters are a metaphor for something instead of just random creatures to fight.

The movie isn't for D&D fandom but for people who know nothing about D&D. The goal is a hook for have a bigger fandom.

It will have to be a family-friend movie, not too violent. +7y children should can see it.

* Do you think Hasbro and Disney could agree a co-production about the Dragonlance?

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
No, they aren't going to switch studios at this stage.
Also, they aren't going to make a G-rated film. It will be at a similar level of violence and language to LotR and the MCU.
The movie isn't for D&D fandom but for people who know nothing about D&D. The goal is a hook for have a bigger fandom.

It will have to be a family-friend movie, not too violent. +7y children should can see it.

* Do you think Hasbro and Disney could agree a co-production about the Dragonlance?

Var

Explorer
So it's gonna have a Dungeon and some Dragons, right?

Can't explain to the average person how that's the name of the Universe and not descriptive to the movie. Not a complaint, just looking at how Larian pulled the Githyanki Dragonriders from another plane into Baldurs Gate 3, so they could have some Dragons to go with the Mindflayers they apparently want as BBEG.

Remove ads