D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie Moves Forward With Deal With Former Marvel Exec Jeremy Latcham

Traycor

Explorer
Although it may be over-exposed within the D&D community, perhaps a "Drizz't escapes from Menzo, makes his way to the surface, finds friends and hope, and a new home" might be a good starting point.

I'd love to see Minsc and Boo in the film.

What characters would everyone else want to see?

Okay, here is my pitch for the opening sequence, taking queues from GotG and Indiana Jones, rather than a standard Hero's Journey 1st level character raised on a farm/in a library/in a luxurious underground mansion.

The camera sours over mountains, focusing on what appears to be a volcano the sound of clanging swords and fizzing spells can be heard faintly in the background. The camera zooms through the solid stone, and we see, initially a top down view, then focusing in closely on a party of four adventurers running through a tunnel, fighting a running battle against monstrous humanoids, whilst trading wisecracks (one of them is a dragonborn, since that is the easiest way to shoehorn in a dragon). Okay, so I may have borrowed a bit from the beginning of The Two Towers...

Suddenly the passage opens out, and the adventurers find themselves on a ledge above a pool of boiling mud. Wooden disks hang on chains from the ceiling. Yes, we are in White Plume Mountain, one of the most recognisable classic dungeons.

Traversing the wooden platforms (as the heroic music gets louder in the background) the party runs down more passages, finding themselves in a transparent underwater dome. Okay, I have moved rooms around a bit.

Grabbing the McGuffin of Doom from its pedestal, a huge crab-monster emerges from the shadows. One of the adventurers shoots an arrow at the crab, and it is deflected off it's armour and through the transparent dome. "Oh f....!" As boiling water pours in a cooks the crab the wizard bangs her staff to the floor and summons a bubble of force which surrounds the party.

As the heroic theme music gets louder, the party tumble around inside the bubble as it is propelled through a twisting series of tunnels, to eventually shoot out of the top of a volcano.

Title card: DUNGEONS & DRAGONS

Whatever happens next, I don't think that would leave anyone in any doubt. The D&D players will know it's an authentic D&D movie, and everyone else will have been shown what D&D is.

Last edited:

Traycor

Explorer
I have a hunch, based on what we had heard of the older Warner Bros. project, that Dragon Heist and Dungeon of the Mad Mage had been conceived as movie tie-in game products ...
Now that's interesting. Can you elaborate? I wonder if there have been other products that were designed this way. Surely the same would happen again for the new movie once the filming is underway.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Now that's interesting. Can you elaborate? I wonder if there have been other products that were designed this way. Surely the same would happen again for the new movie once the filming is underway.

When the older project was under development (what they are working on now is a different studio, different producers, writers everything, mind, so it's not related to what we may see on screen), the screenwriter did say that the Yawning Portal was going to be one of the major set pieces, specifically, and pre-production was ongoing from 2015 to 2017 when WB definitively passed on the opportunity and Paramount restarted the process. And coincidentally, around the time Warner Bros. was looking to release the movie originally, we get a series of books that tie in explicitly nto Waterdeep and major Waterdeep characters (Xanathars Guide to Everything, Tales from the Yawning Portal, and then the Waterdeep books that were originally slated for 2017 before they changed the Adventure publication timeline...)

I don't have much more basis than that, but it seems likely, and explains a few things about the Waterdeep book structure...

Stormonu

Legend
Could open the movie with Elminster visiting Ed Greenwood, and segue to "I have a story for you to relate to your readers since the last time we met..."

Remove ads