D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie Moves Forward With Deal With Former Marvel Exec Jeremy Latcham

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Why a movie? A Netflix series would be a much better vehicle. D&D can certainly beat the crap out of the Witcher. ;)
With MtG getting a Netflix series I would assume that Hasbro, et al have a plan for D&D themed streaming too. They know that Witcher, Wheel of Time, early age Tolkien all are coming and/or exist.

Traycor

Explorer
Why a movie? A Netflix series would be a much better vehicle. D&D can certainly beat the crap out of the Witcher. ;)
They probably want this to be their next Transformers, and they said as much back when the rights were being hammered out. They expect this to be a big, shared universe tentpole franchise with spinoff films, etc...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah, I think them being involved in the MCU is potentially a good sign. People are talking about how you can't really do a single DnD movie (which, you can, but I get the point that a series allows more nuanced character arcs) and the MCU was phenomenal about doing small bits with characters and allowing other movies to take up the torch.

I don't think they will go the way of a comedy movie, but one that does use humor effectively would be nice. Hopefully though, they don't go the route of Beer Thor or Draxx from Vol. 2. Neither of those characters were really funny, they were just aggravating to me. I wouldn't mind getting some more snark like Tony or awkwardness like Peter though, I could see those working in a DnD movie.

Beer-belly Thor was both hilarious and dramatically poignant: that's close to exactly what would be ideal for a D&D movie.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
D&D is a game system. A movie is about characters and plot. Which characters and plot will drive the movie and make it interesting?

Although it may be over-exposed within the D&D community, perhaps a "Drizz't escapes from Menzo, makes his way to the surface, finds friends and hope, and a new home" might be a good starting point. There is (I assume) plenty of characterization and actual storyline to follow there versus "random adventuring party doing random stuff."

The core books have character and plot building engines. You could use Chapter 5 of the DMG to make basically endless valid movie or TV show plots.

Remove ads