D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie Moves Forward With Deal With Former Marvel Exec Jeremy Latcham

Doesn't mean much of anything. 1st and most important thing needed - a decent script. That's something we'll not know a thing about until either they cancel the whole thing as being too bad to keep pouring money into, or we see it on screen. Everything else is just blind speculation and wishful thinking. 2nd thing needed is a cast that can actually, like, act. Even good, well-known actors can wind up starring in utter trash (like Jeremy Irons in Dungeons and Dragons...), and complete unknowns can give us award-worthy performances. Won't know which until we see it on screen. 3rd thing is having a director (well, I'll throw in editor because most people don't appreciate the supreme importance of editing in this process, and tack on composer too) who similarly doesn't suck. "Genius" directors have bankrupted major studios with wasted movie budgets. Unknown directors have given us timeless brilliance made on a shoestring.

Not at all saying that there's no hope, there is: It's not in the hands of Courtney Solomon. But I'll start actually hoping when I at least see a trailer. Until then I won't hold my breath 'cuz making movies is an outrageous crapshoot spawned by committee.

Chaosmancer

Legend
As someone who looks and acts more like beer belly Thor, I felt seen.

Nothing about the look or the attitude out of the context of the movies, but within the context of the movies and where they had been taking the character, seeing how they treated his despair as a joke just ripped me up inside. They had something really heavy and could have shown him as a leader struggling to hold onto hope and the hope of a broken and scattered people.

Instead they made fat jokes and vidya jokes.

Traycor

Explorer
The core books have character and plot building engines. You could use Chapter 5 of the DMG to make basically endless valid movie or TV show plots.
This producer made the Marvel films for the last 13 years, and the writers worked with Marvel on Spider-Man. Purely speculating here, but at Marvel they heavily value the source material, but adapt it constantly into something new. They didn't just make up whole new characters and storylines. They took what was already created and treated it as a sort of R&D for making their films.

Based on that, I wouldn't be surprised if this producer started drawing on the major books and characters of D&D to develop films. He's been doing it for over a decade, and he was very successful doing it that way. No reason to change gears now.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Nothing about the look or the attitude out of the context of the movies, but within the context of the movies and where they had been taking the character, seeing how they treated his despair as a joke just ripped me up inside. They had something really heavy and could have shown him as a leader struggling to hold onto hope and the hope of a broken and scattered people.

They did treat his PTSD with some pathos, though, and the jokes were pretty funny.

aco175

Legend
I'm not holding breath. Any movie will need character development over a giant flight of dragons and some good one-liners people remember.

Traycor

Explorer

The concept of the story (half of everyone wiped out) is already heavy and dark for a movie that's meant for both adults and children. You have to have something to lighten the tone while still acknowledging that this character has all this trauma. I thought this was an excellent way to do both. That's good storytelling.

Chaosmancer

Legend
The concept of the story (half of everyone wiped out) is already heavy and dark for a movie that's meant for both adults and children. You have to have something to lighten the tone while still acknowledging that this character has all this trauma. I thought this was an excellent way to do both. That's good storytelling.

I didn't see it as good storytelling, I saw it as cheap jokes.

I understand the need to lighten the mood, but none of the "mood lightening" they attempted in Endgames seemed to work. And frankly, you could have let the movie be heavy. Half of the population dying sounds heavy, but we aren't really shown it beyond empty houses and a few minor scenes.

But, like I said, I don't want to drag this into a discussion of the plot and characters. I had my multi-hour rants about it years ago, no need to drag things out about it.

Remove ads