D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie Moves Forward With Deal With Former Marvel Exec Jeremy Latcham

Traycor

Explorer
Yes, because I am sure that they're not adapting a popular story or character into the movie. Why would they just take an already made story and make a movie out of it? That's not new. I don't know anyone who would go watch a Drizzt movie after reading the book.
Why go watch Spider-Man after you read the comic? (or saw the cartoon, or read the book, or played the game, or followed the newspaper strip, or...)

Traycor

Explorer
The comic has a completely different plot. The movie has better graphics, is more immersive, and has a better plot.
Harry Potter adapted the books. The MCU adapts comic book stories all the time. LotR had to adapt. Drizzt or any other known Forgotten Realms book/character would need to be adapted to the screen. It's exactly the same.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Harry Potter adapted the books. The MCU adapts comic book stories all the time. LotR had to adapt. Drizzt or any other known Forgotten Realms book/character would need to be adapted to the screen. It's exactly the same.
But it's really not the same. Harry Potter was an obvious thing to make, the books were overly popular. J. K. Rowling was the first author to become a millionaire through a book series. The movies were an obvious step on the path of developing the story. The movies started coming out while the series was being completed.

LotR has long had a fanbase as well. It was another obvious thing to adapt to a movie.

The MCU routinely makes huge changes to comic book plots. They aren't the same stories.

Drizzt isn't super well known. It is not an obvious story to develop into a movie. The people who read the books would probably not care much for a direct translation from book series into movie series.

They're not going to remake a pre-made D&D adventure or FR book. That's not the thing most people would watch, IMHO. People who see a D&D movie coming out in theaters might be intrigued and see it, but if it's called something like, "Drizzt Do'Urden and the Crystal Shard" they would probably never go see it.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Yes, because I am sure that they're not adapting a popular story or character into the movie. Why would they just take an already made story and make a movie out of it? That's not new. I don't know anyone who would go watch a Drizzt movie after reading the book.
Movie adaptations of books are one of the most popular and profitable types of films in the last couple decades.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
But it's really not the same. Harry Potter was an obvious thing to make, the books were overly popular. J. K. Rowling was the first author to become a millionaire through a book series. The movies were an obvious step on the path of developing the story. The movies started coming out while the series was being completed.

LotR has long had a fanbase as well. It was another obvious thing to adapt to a movie.

The MCU routinely makes huge changes to comic book plots. They aren't the same stories.

Drizzt isn't super well known. It is not an obvious story to develop into a movie. The people who read the books would probably not care much for a direct translation from book series into movie series.

They're not going to remake a pre-made D&D adventure or FR book. That's not the thing most people would watch, IMHO. People who see a D&D movie coming out in theaters might be intrigued and see it, but if it's called something like, "Drizzt Do'Urden and the Crystal Shard" they would probably never go see it.
Nearly every fantasy movie made in the last 20+ years has been exactly that, with some other (usually not that well known) fantasy book or comic.

Oofta

Legend
I think we should break out the 10 ft pole and use it with any drow that come near a D&D movie.

I mean, I know that drow aren't just white guys in blackface but I don't think the visual would be a good thing.

I'd also rather see a movie not made in The Forgotten Realms, there's just too much baggage. There's so many stories you could tell, but FR has too much history and it's too convoluted IMHO.

But my opinion and $10 might buy you a cup of coffee at Starbucks if they ever open up again.

I think we should break out the 10 ft pole and use it with any drow that come near a D&D movie.

I mean, I know that drow aren't just white guys in blackface but I don't think the visual would be a good thing.

Plus, they're nor very compelling. They feel like somebody took a bunch of random concepts and threw them together all willy-nilly. They feel like something put of the kind of movie that gets featured on MST3K

I'd also rather see a movie not made in The Forgotten Realms, there's just too much baggage. There's so many stories you could tell, but FR has too much history and it's too convoluted IMHO.

Definitely agree about it being too convoluted

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases