• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D Next - Our changes to extend play

StAlda

Explorer
Our group never realized how much 4e felt non-D&D until we played the playtest. So much so we decide to throw out our 4e Campaign and play the playtest rules beyond the Caves of Chaos. In order to do so, some gaps would have to be filled.

So here is our attemps to add to 5e. Please feel free to add your ideas.

Basics
Players who do not want to play Background rules are considered Commoner by the DM.

Code:
Attack and Savings Throw Bonus Matrices
Level  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20
A      1  1  1  2  2  2  2  3  3   3   3   4   4   4   4   5   5   5   5   6
B      0  0  0  1  1  1  1  2  2   2   2   3   3   3   3   4   4   4   4   5
C      0  0  0  0  1  1  1  1  1   2   2   2   2   2   3   3   3   3   3   4

Prime Ability Savings Throw Bonus Matrix: B
Standard Savings Throw Bonus Matrix: C

Weapon  Magic
Class	  To Hit  To Hit
Barbarian A
Fighter	  A	
Cleric	  B       B
Rogue	  B	
Wizard	  C       A
Ranger	  A       C
Paladin	  A       B

Themes

No Theme
Any Class
Add 10% more to Experience Points awarded by the Dungeon Master.

Two Weapon Fighter
Fighter, Ranger, Thief
Your secondary weapon must have the property Light.
1st Level: You gain the Two Weapon Fighting feat.
Two Weapon Fighting: You wield both weapons aggressively fatiguing you opponent.
Benefit: On a hit, you add an additional Ability Score modifier to your damage.
Special: You can only take a two weapon attack once per round.

3rd Level: You gain the Off Hand Strike.
Off Hand Strike: You strike with your secondary weapon at the same time as your primary.
Benefit: On a hit, you roll damage for your secondary weapon (include Ability Score modifier).
Special: You can only take a two weapon attack once per round.

Slayer Theme Fix
Reaper: Your aggressive fighting style makes all of your attacks meaningful.
Benefit: When you miss with an attack, you gain a +2 to hit and damage on your next attack. This benefit is cumulative until an attack of yours hits or combat ends.

Backgrounds

Survivalist
Fighter, Ranger, Barbarian
You’ve spent so much time in the wild that surviving there is second nature. You understand how nature works beyond most, and can easily use your surroundings to gain advantage over your foes.
You have training in the skills listed below, and you gain the indicated bonus on any check involving that skill.
Tracking +3
Perception +3
Survival +3
Wilderness Lore +3

You also gain the background feature called Hunter Gatherer.
Hunter Gatherer: When not near civilized areas, you can survive completely off the land, needing to use no carried food or water. You can feed up to 5 others who travel with you as well. In addition, you can travel twice as far as others when making long distance cross-country travel through wilderness.

Combat Maneuvers
Sometimes just dealing out damage is not enough. Combat maneuvers can be used instead of your primary weapon's normal attack damage.

Forced Movement
Hit: Ability modifier damage and you move the target 1 square (Strength Save negates).
Critical: Apply normal damage and you move the target 1 square (No Save).

Weapons
Flail
8 gp
1d8 bludgeoning
5 lb.

Combat Maneuver
Entangle
Hit: Ability modifier damage and you negate attacks from 1 creature appendage or if attacking legged creatures you may entangle their legs reducing speed to 0(zero) (Dexterity Save negates). The target must spend an action to untangle.
Critical: Same as above, except normal damage and no save.

Quarterstaff
5 sp
1d8 bludgeoning
4 lb.
Two-handed

Combat Maneuver
Sweep
Hit: Ability modifier damage and the target is knocked prone (Dexterity Save negates).
Critical: Ability modifier damage, the target is knocked prone and its speed is 0 (zero) for 1 round (No Save).

Classes
Fighter
4th Level: Four times per day, you can take two actions on your turn.
6th Level: Increase the damage of your weapon attacks by +1 (total +4).
8th Level: Every round you can take two actions on your turn.
9th Level: Increase the damage of your weapon attacks by +1 (total +5).
12th Level: Increase the damage of your weapon attacks by +1 (total +6).
15th Level: Increase the damage of your weapon attacks by +1 (total +7).
16th Level: Every round you can take three actions on your turn.
18th Level: Increase the damage of your weapon attacks by +1 (total +8).

Ranger
Hit Dice: d8
Durability, Resourcefulness, and survivability combine with unequaled harmony.

Rangers gain the following features: Weapon and Armor Proficiencies, Foe Focus, Heartiness.

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: You can wear all light armor, use all shields, and wield all non-heavy weapons.
Foe Focus: You gain a +2 bonus to damage on weapon attacks against evil humanoid races.
Heartiness: You gain an extra Hit Dice. (You start at 1st level with 2d8 class hit points)

2nd Level: You gain the Wilderness Stealth class feature.
Wilderness Stealth: While in the wilderness you gain +3 to Stealth checks and when you are hidden from a creature, if you make a ranged attack against that creature and miss, you can remain hidden from that creature.

3rd Level: Increase the damage of your weapon attacks by +1.
4th Level: Two times per day, you can take two actions on your turn.
6th Level: Increase the damage of your weapon attacks by +1 (total +2).
8th Level: Four times per day, you can take two actions on your turn.
9th Level: Increase the damage of your weapon attacks by +1 (total +3).
12th Level: Increase the damage of your weapon attacks by +1 (total +4).
14th Level: Every round you can take two actions on your turn.
15th Level: Increase the damage of your weapon attacks by +1 (total +5).
18th Level: Increase the damage of your weapon attacks by +1 (total +6).

Barbarian
Hit Dice: d12
Prime Abilities: Strength, Dexterity
+1 Strength
Weapon Attack Matrix: A

Barbarians go wild in battle sacrificing their own safety to attack their foes.
Barbarians gain the following features: Weapon and Armor Proficiencies, Rage, Magic Distrust.

Rage
When you first take damage in combat your Strength increases by +4 and your Dexterity decreases by -2 for the following 3 rounds.

Magic Distrust
You will not use nor do you trust any type of magic. These items, and those who use it, are seen as being possessed by evil spirits.

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies
You can wear Hide armor, use all shields, and wield all basic and heavy weapons.

2nd Level: You gain the Wilderness Stealth class feature.
Wilderness Stealth: While in the wilderness you gain +3 to Stealth checks.

3rd Level: Increase the damage of your weapon attacks by +1. You can use magic weapons.

4th Level: You gain the ‘Til Death class feature.
‘Til Death: While in combat you remain active even with negative hit points, but you still die at your negative Constitution Score. When combat is over, if you are at negative hit points you fall unconscious and begin Dying.

5th Level: Rage lasts for 6 rounds. You can wear any light armor. You can use magic armor.
6th Level: Increase the damage of your weapon attacks by +1 (total +2).
7th Level: Rage lasts until the end of combat.
8th Level: Three times per day, you can take two actions on your turn.
9th Level: Increase the damage of your weapon attacks by +1 (total +3).
10th Level: You can wear any Medium Armor. You can use any magic item a Fighter can use.
11th Level: Every round you can take two actions on your turn.
12th Level: Increase the damage of your weapon attacks by +1 (total +4).
15th Level: Increase the damage of your weapon attacks by +1 (total +5).
16th Level: Every round you can take two actions on your turn.
18th Level: Increase the damage of your weapon attacks by +1 (total +6).
19th Level: Every round you can take three actions on your turn.

More to come...

Last edited:

StAlda

Explorer
This is pobably all for a while, this fills in what my group needs. I have extended the spell progression for clerics and wizards to 20th, but don't want to try to format it for here :)

we are just having fun with this, we have no knowledge of what WotC plans, and we know the above will change when the next playtest comes out.

FATDRAGONGAMES

First Post
VERY nice! You can also drop in a lot of Castles & Crusades material to help extend the playtest, C&C is also an attribute based system and that material is very easy to use with D&D Next.

VERY nice! You can also drop in a lot of Castles & Crusades material to help extend the playtest, C&C is also an attribute based system and that material is very easy to use with D&D Next.
The 1e Monk was a complete mess of a class that made the 3e monk look like a model of good class design. d4hp/level (OK so they get an extra d4 at level 1 - meaning thieves caught their hit points at second level) and an ac that sucked because they couldn't wear armour. Their unarmed damage was terrible for a lot of levels. Their abilities essentially made them thieves with insane stat requirements that used something like the Paladin XP table.

So yes you can drop it in wholesale - I just question why you would want to.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Ya, the idea was to not slow combat down with a second roll for the off-hand weapon, so 1 roll but more damage. As you get better - even more damage.

FWIW, I have seen games that do this for things like Autofire (as in, for simulating lots of rapid attacks, such as from a machine gun), and I can say it isn't everyone's cup of tea. I'm one who dislikes it, but not so much that I wouldn't play in a game that used it. However, I can think of several in my personal circle of fellow gamers who so strongly dislike that kind of mechanic that it would be a deal breaker for them.

Just sayin'.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
When first reading the thread title I thought it said "Our chances to extend play"...to which I, naturally, thought "Well I'd think you have very good chances of doing so." haha.

But having looked at the post (and thread title a second time), looks like you're right on the ball. Some good stuff here.

I, personally, would be interested in seeing how you have extended the spell lists...but I know it is a pain to format charts here. So, I'm trusting what I've seen so far that you are on the ball with that as well. :)

Have a great time with it and I, for one, would be interested to hear how things go once you get beyond the playtest parameters.
--SD

Remove ads