D&D 5E D&D Next playtest post mortem by Mike Mearls and Rodney Thompson. From seven years ago.

Oofta

Legend
please quote where I said incompetent or worthless?

I said flawed, I said incomplete... this seems to be a thing on enworld now put up scare crows to knock down. then claiming victory.
You're taking my response out of context. I was responding to:
That would require knowing what the majority wants, which in turn would require actual worthwhile surveys rather than useless push-polls.

Oofta

Legend
You know I want a non magic warrior... so this whole post is just BS. any stat (although I always see con as the hard one)can be an attack stat for a fighter... doing it that way the fighter can be better at different things.
give a fighter some social abilities and some exploration abilities and let them attack with any stat, that would be closer to what I want. Give them choices in combat too different things they can do or not do.
Which is why I said you can still have a reasonably charismatic fighter* ... then you change the subject to a magic based warrior ... then when I agree that it is an option ... then I'm wrong for agreeing with the option that you brought up. :hmm:

Never mind, there's no point.

*If you use point buy you can have 3 stats at 15,14,14 with 4 points left over. So strength or dex is 16 as your primary, then either con or charisma 16 with the "low" of the secondary abilities being 14. I think that's a reasonably charismatic fighter.

darjr

I crit!
One thing that surprised me and explained a couple things was that they designed the character sheet as rules. What I mean is the way they wanted people to focus on particular things on the sheet either by real estate or emphasis to influence play and use of rules.

I always wondered why the sheet seemed to stay so static over the years.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
the trade off is punishing a smart wise charismatic fighter over a stronger dumb one...
So roll your stats and put the top 3 in wisdom, charisma, and whichever dex or str matches the weapons you wield. Doesn't sound like a punishment to me.
Or do you mean having to deal with trade-offs is a punishment because you can't work it to get everything you want at it's highest levels possible?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
There's a big difference between "I don't like some things and I think they made some mistakes" and "their surveys were incompetent and worthless". It implies that the entire playtest was bunk and that anybody who thinks they did a decent job is a fool. 🤷‍♂️

I don't think anyone says the surveys were bunk.

What is constantly said is that because of the way it was handled, the playtest would have unforseen biases and holes.

WOTC realized this and for the most part their playtest for One D,&D has actively addressed those holes and bias because they analyzed the DNDN playtest in post mortem.

Last edited:

Haplo781

Legend
So roll your stats and put the top 3 in wisdom, charisma, and whichever dex or str matches the weapons you wield. Doesn't sound like a punishment to me.
Or do you mean having to deal with trade-offs is a punishment because you can't work it to get everything you want at it's highest levels possible?
As opposed to a dumb-as-a-brick fighter who... Just invests in 2 of those.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
You know I want a non magic warrior... so this whole post is just BS. any stat (although I always see con as the hard one)can be an attack stat for a fighter... doing it that way the fighter can be better at different things.
give a fighter some social abilities and some exploration abilities and let them attack with any stat, that would be closer to what I want. Give them choices in combat too different things they can do or not do.
As a person who did some martial arts and got into some fights.

Con Attacks I'd overextending and leaning in to raise odds by leaving oneself open. It's suicidal in real life and only done in fantasy.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases