D&D 5E D&D Next playtest post mortem by Mike Mearls and Rodney Thompson. From seven years ago.

(and anyone who cares about honesty)
TBH, I have trouble taking your comment seriously after this.

They literally took a setting whose whole schtick and original tagline was "AD&D Adventures in Space" and ditched the "in Space" part.
What in the world are you talking about? It's even called Spelljammer: Adventures in Space. According to WotC, it "presents the Astral Plane as a Dungeons & Dragons campaign setting unlike any other. Home of the stars and gateway to the heavens, the Astral Plane teems with excitement and possibility. With the help of magic, spelljammers can cross the oceans of Wildspace, ply the silvery void known as the Astral Sea, and hop between worlds of the D&D multiverse."

What part of that suggests that it has nothing to do with space?

darjr

I crit!
TBH, I have trouble taking your comment seriously after this.

What in the world are you talking about? It's even called Spelljammer: Adventures in Space. According to WotC, it "presents the Astral Plane as a Dungeons & Dragons campaign setting unlike any other. Home of the stars and gateway to the heavens, the Astral Plane teems with excitement and possibility. With the help of magic, spelljammers can cross the oceans of Wildspace, ply the silvery void known as the Astral Sea, and hop between worlds of the D&D multiverse."

What part of that suggests that it has nothing to do with space?
It seems like they don’t like young people playing on their grass.

Two problems though. It’s not their grass and the kids are doing exactly what they did in their youth.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Never got into spelljammer back in the day, and don’t have much interest now. But a couple things:

Branding. It’s important.
WotC wouldn’t bother doing the work or printing books unless they were sure they’d sell tens of thousands of them.
Because spelljammer as a name existed back then doesn’t mean new players won’t find it to their liking now.

glass

(he, him)
Did you even read the book?
No of course not. I am hardly going to give WotC money for doing something I disapprove of, am I? Nonetheless I know what is in it.

You folks are quibbling over terms as if they were the meaningful bit.
You do not get to tell anyone else what they are allowed to find meaningful.

What in the world are you talking about?
Yes, whatever could I possibly be talking about. Oh look, it's right there in almost your very next sentence (bolding mine, italics yours):
It's even called Spelljammer: Adventures in Space. According to WotC, it "presents the Astral Plane as a Dungeons & Dragons campaign setting unlike any other

It seems like they don’t like young people playing on their grass.
I'm fine with anyone who wants to (of any age) playing this. I am also fine with anyone who wants to (of any age) playing Spelljammer as published in the 90s. I just do not understand why they needed to use the name of the latter for the former. But by all means, impugn my character because I do not happen to like WotC's latest shiny!

Last edited:

Remove ads