D&D 5E [D&D Next] Second Packet - initial impressions

IronWolf

blank
I can't put my finger on it exactly at this point, but I think for me this playtest packet took a step backwards. Need to read some more and see if I can put my finger on it.

I think the first playtest seemed nice and simple to me. This one, not so much.

Dragoslav

First Post
I was pleasantly surprised to see the addition of opportunity attack rules.

The alignment descriptions read like they were written in 5 seconds altogether, though. The descriptions for neutral evil and chaotic evil say essentially the same thing!

triqui

Adventurer
It looks as though its meant not for increased damage in fights against one large creature, but rather to speed up the elimination of many smaller creatures. So you do the same total damage as a person with a single weapon... you just get to split it up over two opponents.

Which is good in many ways, as I had several sessions where the Dwarf Slayer was pumping out 12-20ish point of damage against kobolds who only needed 2 damage to kill. So all that excess damage was wasted. Someone who wields two weapons can take out twice as many of these smaller creatures and help speed up the process, without overpowering the single-weapon wielders in terms of total damage dealt.
This is a good way to see TWF. Whenever you see TWF in D&D, it's either completelly useless because of to-hit penalties (ie: 3.0 flurry of msses), or completelly overpowered because the lack of it (ie: 4e Twin Strike).

It's way too much to add double attacks against single targets, it does double the damage output. When you try to balance it with penalties, it means it's either too weak, or if you specialize enough, the penalties are gone (and then you double you damage output and it's too good)

It sounds nice to me. For single target, 2h weapon. For clearing "minions", twf. And to protect yourself, 1h+shield.

Herschel

Adventurer
Ability score generation is kind of borked. Choose a very dull array or a solid chance roll in to Superstardom. The Human stat boosts are really powerful when compared to the other races unless you shoehorn every Dwarf to use a Hammer or Axe, every Elf to Longsword or Bow.

IronWolf

blank
Ability score generation is kind of borked. Choose a very dull array or a solid chance roll in to Superstardom. The Human stat boosts are really powerful when compared to the other races unless you shoehorn every Dwarf to use a Hammer or Axe, every Elf to Longsword or Bow.

Yeah, not sure why they didn't throw in point buy.

But, to me, this stuff is irrelevant. The full on fluff descriptions of alignments will come in the full rules. The ability score generation options will come in the full rules.
This is a playtest and it is aimed at experienced DnD-ers. We know the ability generation methods we prefer, we know what the 9 alignments mean.

My initial thoughts were fro my 7 year old, who played a PF Basic Box Wizard and hated that he was just a crossbowman, and not a good one at that! Now you can still contribute, like 4E, once your dailies are gone or you do not wish to use them.

Also, why does the Wizard class give you a choice of a +1 to constitution?
Reading through the section on the ability scores and DC in the DM guidelines PDF, a constitution check is called for as the concentration check of this edition. Depending on how you plan to play your wizard, this might play a role there. I agree that it probably won't be the most common selection, but it is useful and a smart, tough spellcaster is not an irrelevant archetype.
If you use random mechanisms for generating ability scores this flexibility becomes more important.

Remove ads