D&D 5E D&D Next weekly art column!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hussar

Legend
Klaus - I did see your images. WOW, those really are fantastic. I've always like Eva Wildman, but, those others are great too.

Meatboy

First Post
Problem is, that his art has a very strong "4th Ed" style, and it's probably a good idea to make the editions visually distinct from each other.

I'm not really sure what you mean by 4e style. But I don't really feel that Jason Chan's art is it. He is an extremely good professional artist whose style blurs the line between north american and japanese comic styles while still showing a strong tradtional art background. The man has skills.

Ratskinner

Adventurer
I'm not really sure what you mean by 4e style. But I don't really feel that Jason Chan's art is it. He is an extremely good professional artist whose style blurs the line between north american and japanese comic styles while still showing a strong tradtional art background. The man has skills.

Not dismissing his skills at all, but I can see why some would say it looks like a lot of the 4e art. There are some stylistic similarities, and they are presented in a high (possibly heightened) "chroma" or "saturation".

Hussar

Legend
You guys are tellling me that this:

thiefs_covenant.jpg

doesn't belong in a D&D book? Regardless of edition?

S

Sunseeker

Problem is, that his art has a very strong "4th Ed" style, and it's probably a good idea to make the editions visually distinct from each other.

Good art is good art. I think 4e mainly overloaded on Kerem Beiyet(sp)'s art, though his art is very good. I picked up an old AD&D book on the discount rack at my local gaming store recently and man, I would LOVE for some of that art to get reprinted. Good art is good art. I don't care what edition it's from or what style it has. Making it particular to the edition is all in the detail and presentation, not so much the particular artist. And some arts, like the rogue/thief image there, are just downright spot-on for a class "feel", and should be favored over alternate "new" art any day of the week.

Yora

Legend
That belongs in EVERY D&D book. Paste it in if you have to.

Seems I made the mistake that many people make. Many artists are a lot more flexible than you'd think and make their pictures look to fit well together with those of other artists for the same product. That his 4E art looks like 4E art... duh!
But that picture is indeed different, and I would like to see something like that in 5th Edition. I only looked at these ones [1] [2] and assumed everything would look like that, but further down the page, there's a lot of different stuff. Which brings us back to the issue from the starting post, that good art direction is important! ;)

Klaus

First Post
You guys are tellling me that this:

thiefs_covenant.jpg

doesn't belong in a D&D book? Regardless of edition?
BTW, that is the cover to "The Thief's Covenant", the new novel by EN World's own [MENTION=1288]Mouseferatu[/MENTION] , aka Ari Marmell. It is awesome, and you should buy it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads