D&D (2024) D&D One Changes to the Rogue...

rules.mechanic

Craft homebrewer
I mean, you just said it: unless you are low on hit points. Or you otherwise really need to do something else.

Orrrr…and I love this one…you land the first attack but the monster isn’t quite dead. Do you gamble on 1d6 killing it, if you hit? (“Do you do six damage, or only five? Well, you have to ask yourself one question: do you feel lucky, punk?”)

Again, I like the new version, but there’s incontrovertibly less decision-making: you always make the 2nd attack.
It's a good point and a dilemma that does currently come up, but currently only for the two-weapon rogues. Would be great if all rogues get something else to do with their bonus action that competes with cunning action, or if cunning action included more options - perhaps something that comes from their subclass at 3rd level (like the Thief's Fast Hands, the 5e Mastermind's Master of Tactics Help action, or the 5e Arcane Trickster's bonus-action spells).

So at 3 level, could the Assassin use Cunning Action to reroll a missed attack ? The Scout could use it to make another (single) attack at a cost (disadvantage/exhaustion?) - i.e. a weaker form of the 5e Scout's capstone Sudden Strike? The Swashbuckler might not need Fancy Footwork any more so Elegant Maneuver could come earlier?

clearstream

(He, Him)
You have to beat the DC 15 to enter stealth. The number you roll becomes the DC for active perception checks to find you (taken as an action).
"On a successful check, you are Hidden. Make
note of your check’s total, which becomes the DC for a creature to find you with a Wisdom Check (Perception)."

It may be the intent is active. As written it would include passive.

Last edited:

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
It's a good point and a dilemma that does currently come up, but currently only for the two-weapon rogues. Would be great if all rogues get something else to do with their bonus action that competes with cunning action, or if cunning action included more options - perhaps something that comes from their subclass at 3rd level (like the Thief's Fast Hands, the 5e Mastermind's Master of Tactics Help action, or the 5e Arcane Trickster's bonus-action spells).

So at 3 level, could the Assassin use Cunning Action to reroll a missed attack ? The Scout could use it to make another (single) attack at a cost (disadvantage/exhaustion?) - i.e. a weaker form of the 5e Scout's capstone Sudden Strike? The Swashbuckler might not need Fancy Footwork any more so Elegant Maneuver could come earlier?

Oh, good point about rapier rogues.

But they should burn in hell so we can add that to the “pros” column of the new rules. :)

Li Shenron

Legend
I don't know why this change, I don't remember plenty of complaints in the last 8 years about sneak attack on OA being a real problem.

It's interesting also what they haven't changed: Reliable Talent, despite the way it becomes useless if you follow Crawford's sage advice about passive checks setting a base result of 10 for everyone attempting everything... can we take it as WotC realized Crawford was plain out wrong about its own sage advice?

I don't know why this change, I don't remember plenty of complaints in the last 8 years about sneak attack on OA being a real problem.

It's interesting also what they haven't changed: Reliable Talent, despite the way it becomes useless if you follow Crawford's sage advice about passive checks setting a base result of 10 for everyone attempting everything... can we take it as WotC realized Crawford was plain out wrong about its own sage advice?

I guess passive checks just disappear.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Of the 3 scenarios that's the one that is by far the most common at my table for the rogue getting SA.
Huh. We have combats all the time frequently where there is nothing to hide behind, and/or out of bow range. We also enforce weapon drawing/stowing rules, so a rogue who wants to shoot once then engage has some choices to make.

If your rogues are using this too frequently you might get accused of “DM enablement.” /wink

CM

Adventurer
What if the Sneak Attack rule was changed to restricted to once a round, rather than once a turn (2014) or once on your turn (1DnD current playtest doc)?
This is how I've been houseruling SA since 5e launch and it's been fine. Will continue that way if 5.5e restricts it to the attack action on your turn.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Huh. We have combats all the time frequently where there is nothing to hide behind, and/or out of bow range. We also enforce weapon drawing/stowing rules, so a rogue who wants to shoot once then engage has some choices to make.

If your rogues are using this too frequently you might get accused of “DM enablement.” /wink
I dunno what to tell you. Most dungeons have doorways, forests have trees, towns and ruins have buildings....maybe featureless large open spaces is something your table likes?

Ranged rogues (2 of the 3 rogues that have been played at my table) pretty much never engage in melee. The one melee rogue we have had (my swashbuckler) sticks and moves so once again avoids actually being in melee unless it's his turn.

Remove ads