• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D Promises to Make the Game More Queer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Seriously, you have a gay brother and still cant move beyond a deeply harmful stereotype that gays are evil, demon-worshiping criminals?
You beating Tom over the head with that stereotype is more disruptive than him trying to explain how his thought has evolved / matured / changed over time.

Trudy

First Post
I'm absolutely in support of increased diversity in DnD. Half of our gaming group is queer and about half of us play queer characters, or have characters with queer parents.

That said: my firbolg paladin was pleasantly surprised when she met the queer couple in SKT and was asked to help (secretly) buy anniversary gifts. It didn't feel shoehorned at all, and I was pleased to see some representation that wasn't character-created.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I think it is very important for people to know that if you don't want to hear a creator's take on how or why they created something... you shouldn't listen to them when they talk about stuff.

Because odds are good that if you listen to an artist talking about their art... they are going to talk about their art.

Mallus

Legend
Adding visible queer characters to official D&D products is a good thing. No insult intended to Rufus & Burne closeted -- badly -- in their tower, though. It was a different time.

Having an artist or designer put their own lives into their work is a good thing. Why would you want any anything else? Do people really say "this media isn't blandly corporate enough?" I mean, other than people being paid good money to be blandly corporate.

An actual children's show premised around a young boy being raised by queer rocks from outer space is a good thing (great show, too). Or when another show can end with Korra & Asami walking hand-in-hand into the dreamtime.

"Agenda" is a funny word. It always seems to apply to what *other* people think and advocate for - not the things you believe, which are completely normal and non-controversial. Like the khakis of thoughts.

Last edited:

Ganymede81

First Post
I don't know about all this, but I do remember reading the Dragons of Autumn Twilight series.

You couldn't read five pages without tripping over some steamy heterosexual angst: Tika wants Caramon, Tanis wants Kitiara, Goldmoon wants Riverwind, Kitiara wants Sturm, Laurana wants Tanis. The heterosexuality was so in-your-face that it could have been worn as a mask.

ccs

41st lv DM
It wasn't a marketing campaign or a corporate statement. It was a single interview with a designer who noted a small thread of commonality in some published works over the last few years. Perhaps I'm oblivious, but I don't recall a public outcry about a gay agenda or ideological propaganda in WotC's D&D products up until this point. How exactly were they not appeasing both sides? Was it offensive that Jeremy simply pointed it out when the topic was broached by a reporter?

Oh :):):):):):):):). It was most definitely a corporate PR statement.
You don't get the brands lead rules developer, giving an official interview, intentionally pointing this out & discussing how it's the going forward plan, without it being a corp. statement.

I just find it amusing that he's pointing out that the LGBTs are represented by;
1) A useless blurb in the PHB pointing out that you can do what's always been possible.
2) Irrelevant NPCs in products they already know only a fraction of their customers buy.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Not a negative spark necessarily, but judging by the standards of D&D's the pseudo-medieval backdrop, it makes the most sense to me, personally. Then again, I run my games a little like a Jack Vance novel, in which 100% of the NPCs are corrupt, scheming, or tyrannical.

As for presenting homosexuality is a positive light, I'm all for it, as long as it furthers the story in some way. The PCs having the choice to stop two gay blacksmiths from being burnt on the stake and dealing with the repercussions of their actions or inaction could be interesting. Preventing a grove of druidic terrorists, who see homosexuality as an act against laws of nature, from hunting down and murdering homosexuals could be, too.

So by the same token, would you say that you’re all for presenting heterosexuality in a positive light as long as it furthers the story in some way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads