D&D 5E D&D Promises to Make the Game More Queer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teemu

Hero
That's interesting. I haven't seen any of that, before. I'd love to be proven wrong. Care to provide a source?

I could try finding links later, but this stuff comes from Ed Greenwood's comments and whatnot. For example, there was some controversy regarding a trans NPC in a FR computer game (Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition expansion), and Greenwood commented that trans characters very much exist in the Realms.

tombowings

First Post
I could try finding links later, but this stuff comes from Ed Greenwood's comments and whatnot. For example, there was some controversy regarding a trans NPC in a FR computer game (Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition expansion), and Greenwood commented that trans characters very much exist in the Realms.

That interesting. I'm not quite willing to concede my argument entirely. I'm interested in knowing if presence or even acceptance of the LGBT community is limited only to certain regions and/or races, but I will certainly what you've said into consideration when writing future posts.

Hussar

Legend
Considering the god of the elves in FR has always had a pretty hazy sexuality, right from the get go, I'd say FR has had at least nods in the direction.

tombowings

First Post
Considering the god of the elves in FR has always had a pretty hazy sexuality, right from the get go, I'd say FR has had at least nods in the direction.

Is it only elves or do other races have similar sexual inclinations, too. How to other communities feel about elven sexual norms?

You asked him to name three. He named three.

Whether you've personally heard of major blockbuster movies like Captain America, The Fast & The Furious, or John Wick is completely immaterial.

Sure. He said monotheists have plenty of representation in the media; I asked him to name three examples; he did (well, he named two that fit my criteria and a third which doesn't--but others have subsequently named others that do); I evaluated those examples to see what it says about that representation.

I never expected that he would be totally unable to come up with three examples. The question is how far do you have to reach? Apparently several years back.

In contrast, if I ask you to name movies with Caucasians, or women, you can probably just name the last three movies you saw. "Spiderman Homecoming, Despicable Me III, Dunkirk." At that point it becomes very reasonable to say, "And it's not like [Caucasians] are lacking representation in media..." Monotheists? Not so much.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Sure. He said monotheists have plenty of representation in the media; I asked him to name three examples; he did (well, he named two that fit my criteria and a third which doesn't--but others have subsequently named others that do); I evaluated those examples to see what it says about that representation.

Eh? Which of those three are not monotheists?

You asked for three, you got three. What are your “criteria”? This feels like a game of No True Scotsman.

I’m sure he could have listed 10 if you’d asked for 10. But you asked for 3. And there comes a point where sitting down and typing out endless reams of movie titles for you becomes less a conversation and more a chore. How many do you need?

Kids these days! That's what happens when you go around putting on strange girdles without checking for curses first.

tombowings

First Post
Don't think it's ever come up really.

Which is kind of the point.

Which brings us back to square 0 of defaulting to popular (though often ahistoric) view of traditional medieval norms like we do with everything else that isn't stated directly.

Eh? Which of those three are not monotheists?

You asked for three, you got three. What are your “criteria”? This feels like a game of No True Scotsman.

He asked me for my criteria in a subsequent message and I gave it to him. I think it ended up getting cross-posted with his reply since he didn't wait for my response, but that isn't my fault.

I’m sure he could have listed 10 if you’d asked for 10. But you asked for 3. And there comes a point where sitting down and typing out endless reams of movie titles for you becomes less a conversation and more a chore. How many do you need?

Why would I ask for ten? Three is sufficient. The three most readily-available examples of the concept at hand suffice to illustrate its prevalence. I feel like I just addressed this point not ten minutes ago in my last post to you RE: Caucasians and Spiderman Homecoming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads