D&D Movie/TV D&D TV Show By John Wick Creator

From Hollywood Reporter — “Derek Kolstad, the creator and writer behind the John Wick franchise, has been tapped to pen and develop a pitch for a live-action series based on the Dungeons & Dragons universe.” https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dungeons-dragons-series-in-the-works-with-john-wick-writer-exclusive The article doesn’t say anything more, unfortunately, other than...

From Hollywood Reporter — “Derek Kolstad, the creator and writer behind the John Wick franchise, has been tapped to pen and develop a pitch for a live-action series based on the Dungeons & Dragons universe.”

25854BA4-2A31-4986-8951-52D4595812F0.jpeg

The article doesn’t say anything more, unfortunately, other than describing what D&D is — “Affectionately referred to by fans as D&D, the game is known for its wars, treasure hunts, campaigns, camaraderie, and reversals of fortune, all in a setting that combines humans, elves, orcs and hundreds of other creatures. The game famously uses multisided dice in gameplay to further the imaginary story and is overseen by a host known as the Dungeon Master.”

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
So, we're getting a LOTR show and a D&D show?

This is some kind of golden age, this is.
That depends, but it is the age of streaming and that means content is needed and some kind of 'hook' to reel in the viewers. D&D is the hook and they hope it can get enough viewers to tune in.

I see Waterdeep as a good setting for a show.

I know it's not D&D per se, but I'd love a Dragonlance series with raistlin and the crew.

The problem with D&D is that it has always kept a level of "genericness" to it to facilitate players putting their own characters and stories together. It'll either have to create characters from scratch or rehash adventures of some of the iconics like Drizzt or Elminster.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
They can use the name if it's attached to a specific setting, but just calling it Dungeons and Dragons The TV Show is too ubiquitous.

Now, if the show is titled something like...

Tales of the Forgotten Realms: A Dungeons and Dragons tv show...

That's better.
You’re probably right. Something ; D&D or D&D : whatever are much more likely than just Dungeon and Dragons.

D&D is all about the imagination. Remember, that if we watched Star Trek from the 1960s, surely, we can call all fill in the special effects for D&D today with our imaginations after decades playing D&D.
I bet the target audience is not those of us who have been playing for decades. That would guarantee the show to be a flop when it comes to ratings and audience numbers.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads