D&D Movie/TV D&D TV Show By John Wick Creator

From Hollywood Reporter — “Derek Kolstad, the creator and writer behind the John Wick franchise, has been tapped to pen and develop a pitch for a live-action series based on the Dungeons & Dragons universe.”

25854BA4-2A31-4986-8951-52D4595812F0.jpeg

The article doesn’t say anything more, unfortunately, other than describing what D&D is — “Affectionately referred to by fans as D&D, the game is known for its wars, treasure hunts, campaigns, camaraderie, and reversals of fortune, all in a setting that combines humans, elves, orcs and hundreds of other creatures. The game famously uses multisided dice in gameplay to further the imaginary story and is overseen by a host known as the Dungeon Master.”

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Sure, and if you look at 1st and 2nd edition you can find lots of elves with smaller ears, and 3rd and 4th edition elves (and eladrin) with bigger ears. My point is Mr Spock was acceptable in the 1970s, but now he is a tired old cliché, and if you want to make a character who is not human it just isn't enough.

Didn't seem to be an issue in the LOTR movies. Or, well, the art I just pointed out.

But, end of the day it's just a preference. I think smaller ears work better visually if you have real actors. We probably just need to agree to disagree, especially because I simply don't care all that much since it's such a small part of the overall visuals and design.
Yeah, it's not like the ears wouyld be the only visual cue that says "this is an elf". they certainly aren't in the LOTR & Hobbit movies. I'd say a simply pointed ear like they use on elves in those movies is fine, and then there's also going to be [whatever they decide elves do with their] hair, and maybe eyebrows, and make-up, and clothing, and armor, and weapons. Giving them big ears at the risk of them looking dumb doesn't seem worth the risk to me.

Dire Bare

Legend
Huh... I wonder...

Dragonlance lawsuit was just dropped, and this TV show was just announced. Likely a coincidence but... maybe?
There IS a Dragonlance script floating around out there somewhere, Joe Manganiello is associated with it. And he's been dropping DL hints every once in a while . . . not sure whether the project was for a TV show or a movie, and how far along it is in development.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
There IS a Dragonlance script floating around out there somewhere, Joe Manganiello is associated with it. And he's been dropping DL hints every once in a while . . . not sure whether the project was for a TV show or a movie, and how far along it is in development.
There are likely scripts floating around for every conceivable project, including ones that will never, ever get made.

Dire Bare

Legend
There are likely scripts floating around for every conceivable project, including ones that will never, ever get made.
True . . . but the Dragonlance script has been confirmed. Thanks to Joe Manganiello "leaking" the cover of the script a while back.

Now of course, anything could happen between the script being greenlighted and the movie premieres on the silver screen . . . .

True . . . but the Dragonlance script has been confirmed. Thanks to Joe Manganiello "leaking" the cover of the script a while back.

Now of course, anything could happen between the script being greenlighted and the movie premieres on the silver screen . . . .

More like he confirmed that he wrote the script, not that he was being paid to write it. I am pretty sure he wrote it independent of any contract or studio asking him to. At least I remember him being the writer, but I could be wrong.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I know, but that doesn't matter.

There are millions of scripts floating around Hollywood. Many of them no one wants or will ever touch. And even most of the ones that someone, at some point, expressed some interest in will never have anything happen with them. Hell, TV networks go to the trouble of casting and shooting whole pilots that will never be seen, much less turn into a TV series.

Joe could have Dragonlance scripts serving as every item of furniture in his house and it wouldn't make a Dragonlance movie any more or less likely to occur.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases