D&D General D&D without resource management

Voadam

Legend
Mostly I dislike daily resource management. It structurally shifts an emphasis to thinking about how many more combats you expect in a day, evaluating whether this is the climax fight, whether this is the only combat of the day, what the likelihood of an ambush at night is, etc. Fairly metagame considerations of adventure pacing and DMing style and adventure design, will the party stop when someone is out of dailies, etc.

I much prefer resource management that focuses on what power/ability do I use in this immediate situation.

4e essentials classes with a focus on at wills were great.

4e encounter powers were less resource management focused than 5e x/short rest. The structural incentives in encounter powers shift to use this every fight when you can instead of judge whether to save them up for emergencies or novaing.

3.5 had at will warlock casters.

3.5 had the Unearthed Arcana Recharge magic alternate casting system which shifted casters to considering which spell to use and the recharge opportunity costs versus the whole daily nova management consideration.

3.5 had the psionic focus mechanic and the psychic blade class for round to round management of powers instead of daily points management.

Skill roll based magic systems are out there as alternatives to daily slots in D&D. Some with risky consequences for failed rolls. Dungeon Crawl classics gives varying spell results depending on roll, including a lot of catastrophes.

I played in a 4e game where the houserule was you could trade in a top daily to make a lower level one an encounter, and an encounter could drop to a lower level at will encounter power. It worked great for our preferred game style.

Nope, this guy's name was Sharkey. IT was our first game of Modern and prompted us to investigate the rules.
I wish I could say the same... I had run modern twice (once as like a cop show and once as urban fantasy shadows game) and he wanted to use it to run a cuthulu like night haunt game... and he made us roll for EVERYTHING... we couldn't go to the ATM take $5 out and hold on to it to try to have it on hand ALL money vanished if you missed your wealth check

Vaalingrade

Legend
Rules work best when:
1. The DM knows when to ignore them
2. The players trust the DM.
This was the DM not knowing the rule.

See, in Modern as your Wealth increases, you are supposed to auto-succeed for a certain level of item. Sharkey should never have asked me to roll in the first place. I shouldn't have had to roll to buy cars and houses smaller than a mansion.

Which to be fair, in hindsight make just giving a candy bar to a kid that just witnessed a gangland execution was the literal least I could have done...

On the hit points issue, something like Mutants and Masterminds with its Toughness/Damage save might be worth looking into.
Even M&M didn’t completely do away with health-as-resource. You still had wound levels, though each PC had only 4 and you could very easily lose more than 1 on a failed damage save vs a big attack. And on top of that, Hero Points are a major in-play resource to manage too, and are core to the cinematic aspects of the system.

There was and M&M2e supplement called Warriors and Warlocks which adapted the system to fantasy gaming, and un-superhero-ed it a bit. I don’t own it, but it might be worth looking up.

GSHamster

Adventurer
I am a little confused about what exactly people mean by resource management. Several people have given examples of what I would consider resource-management, only within an encounter, rather than over multiple encounters.

To me, no resource management means you can attempt to cast your highest-level spell every round, and success/failure is independent of previous rounds.

Vaalingrade

Legend
I am a little confused about what exactly people mean by resource management. Several people have given examples of what I would consider resource-management, only within an encounter, rather than over multiple encounters.

To me, no resource management means you can attempt to cast your highest-level spell every round, and success/failure is independent of previous rounds.
I think most people are considering daily resources and inventory resources in this discussion. Then insisting HP are somehow a resource.

reelo

Hero
I think most people are considering daily resources and inventory resources in this discussion. Then insisting HP are somehow a resource.
Because they are. Spell-slots ammunition, and per-day abilities are a ressource that you spend to deal damage, and hitpoints are a ressource that you spend to soak up damage. Going into a fight with one (or both) low is a bad idea. And deciding what is considered "too low" and what is a "still acceptable risk" is ressource management.

Voadam

Legend
Because they are. Spell-slots ammunition, and per-day abilities are a ressource that you spend to deal damage, and hitpoints are a ressource that you spend to soak up damage. Going into a fight with one (or both) low is a bad idea. And deciding what is considered "too low" and what is a "still acceptable risk" is ressource management.
Hit points are a resource you have that get taken away from you, you do not spend them. Going into combat you might get hit, you might not. At any point you might be ambushed and hit.

Healing is a resource you manage. You have choices with healing resources that you can manage.

Remove ads