D&D General D&D without resource management

Celebrim

Legend
I don't think that assertion stands up to much scrutiny.

Well, obviously it's meant with a little humorous exaggeration, but it's actually a rather deeper assertion than you might think.

The different between a "shooter" and an cRPG usually comes down to how complex the inventory management system is, or more generally how complex the resource management system is of which inventory is just a part.

Stalker0

Legend
Of course the biggest change would come to casters. I think the best solution would be to go to a "casting check" system. Personally I would not set DCs to particular spells, but instead let caster make a check to find out how much magical energy they can gather that turn, and then decide whether to use it immediately, or keep gathering next turn to be able to use bigger effects or more powerful spells. It would require a totally different system for casting and using spells, but that would not necessarily be a bad thing.
The issue with such systems is never combat when your time is precious, its outside combat when your time is plentiful. If casters can just gather magical energy for a few minutes to power things...they effectively can do whatever they want for as long as they want. You then either need to give some gnarly penalties to fail those checks (which could be dire in combat), or you need to greatly nerf magic so that these effects aren't too strong. Or....you make the game caster focused (ala Ars Magica), so magic isn't expected to balance against mundane.

I'll admit, for 5e I don't care about tracking ammunition or rations, unless there's something special about it. If I were to catch someone giving themselves infinite +1 arrows, though, there would be words, just the same as there would be if someone wasn't keeping track of their spell slots or wand charges.

There's a fine line between bean-counting and resource management that D&D has wandered all over throughout the years. In older editions, travelling the wilderness and watching your rations tick down, or delving deeper and deeper into a dungeon and watching your supply of arrows dwindle as you weighed returning to town or not, added tension to the experience. For the style of 5e I enjoy, I'm not sure it does.

Yes, some element of resource management is core to the D&D experience - mainly hit points and magic resources whether spells, potions, or charges of wands.
Rations and arrows are less iconic, but the game has always pretty much included them or allowed DMs to hand wave them, so any game that completely glosses over it would be losing a potential portion of the D&D experience and drifting over toward the "Not D&D" end of the "How D&D is it" spectrum.

Reynard

Legend
The issue with such systems is never combat when your time is precious, its outside combat when your time is plentiful. If casters can just gather magical energy for a few minutes to power things...they effectively can do whatever they want for as long as they want. You then either need to give some gnarly penalties to fail those checks (which could be dire in combat), or you need to greatly nerf magic so that these effects aren't too strong. Or....you make the game caster focused (ala Ars Magica), so magic isn't expected to balance against mundane.
Valid concern. I think the easiest thing to do would be to cap the total amount of "mana" the caster can hold based on character level.

Voadam

Legend
D&D with low daily resource management is pretty easy and imo a lot of fun. Hit points is the big thing to normally remain.

Last edited:

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Even older editions of D&D didnt have much resource management within the classes themselves. Spell slots were still a thing, but if you come with a magic system without resource management, I think you could have the full D&D experience.

HP still remains, but there will always be some kind of resources, be it time or actions during a round.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases