• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D's Inclusivity Language Alterations In Core Rules

Many small terminology alterations to 2014 core rules text.

Status
Not open for further replies.
c3wizard1.png

In recent months, WotC has altered some of the text found in the original 5th Edition core rulebooks to accommodate D&D's ongoing move towards inclusivity. Many of these changes are reflected on D&D Beyond already--mainly small terminology alterations in descriptive text, rather than rules changes.

Teos Abadia (also known as Alphastream) has compiled a list of these changes. I've posted a very abbreviated, paraphrased version below, but please do check out his site for the full list and context.
  • Savage foes changed to brutal, merciless, or ruthless.
  • Barbarian hordes changed to invading hordes.
  • References to civilized people and places removed.
  • Madness or insanity removed or changed to other words like chaos.
  • Usage of orcs as evil foes changed to other words like raiders.
  • Terms like dim-witted and other synonyms of low intelligence raced with words like incurious.
  • Language alterations surrounding gender.
  • Fat removed or changed to big.
  • Use of terms referring to slavery reduced or altered.
  • Use of dark when referring to evil changed to words like vile or dangerous.
This is by no means the full list, and much more context can be found on Alphastream's blog post.

Staffan

Legend
Any idea on why we of European descent don't see ourselves as European-Americans?
I'm not American, but I imagine it's because few people identify as "European". They're more likely to identify with something more local: Irish-American, Anglo-American, Italian-American, and so on.

As to why other ethnicities/cultures do identify with larger regions, I think there are two major reasons:

1. Asian Americans often do identify with a more local place, but given that they're a minority they can often find commonality under the "Asian American" label.

2. African Americans often do not have a family history, because their ancestors were kidnapped and had a lot of their history beaten out of them.
Flind. Rhymes with wind. Got it.

Now, is that "wind" as in the movement of air, or "wind" as in what you do to a clock each day?
Yes.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
People can debate if it is a sound idea or not, but self censorship is a real concept with a solid discourse behind it. Doesn't meant it is the same as government censorship, but it is also different from rewriting something to simply improve the quality or tone. However I don't think we are going to be able to resolve the censorship debate and what constitutes censorship in this thread
"chilling effect"

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Any idea on why we of European descent don't see ourselves as European-Americans?
Because it is the default assumption. Are you a white American? Then chances are pretty good that your ancestry is European. If that is not the case, you will probably identify yourself otherwise.

As an American with no particular concern for my ancestry, I am often baffled at how important it is to folks that they embrace and go on and on about their nation(s) of descent. I mean, whatever, people are allowed to care about the things they care about but to me it seems rather irrelevant. But I also understand that people who do care don't need to be battered with negative stereotypes. I once worked with a woman with strong Italian American roots and she HATED the popularity of The Sopranos at the time because it reinforced the stereotype of Italians being mobbed up.

I remember reading an interesting article (or possibly listening to a podcast) that made the point clear that this sort of identification with ones origins is an often unrecognized form of white privilege. Those Americans who are descended from slaves don't know where they came from because it was erased for them. Genetic testing is helping now to some degree, but it can't fill the cultural void left by being sold and resold. I think aboutt hat sometimes when some friend of mine starts talking about where in Ireland their great great grandfather lived.

FrogReaver

I remember reading an interesting article (or possibly listening to a podcast) that made the point clear that this sort of identification with ones origins is an often unrecognized form of white privilege.
I find that notion absolutely ridiculous.

FrogReaver

Did you read the sentence after the one you quoted? Because if you did and had this response, I think maybe you should read it again.
I did. I assure you that reading it again won't help. From my perspective that sentence didn't effect the ridiculousness of calling that white privilege.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads