[D20 Modern]Department 7 (IC)

perrinmiller

Adventurer
<<OOC: I wrote this from Kara's point of view. You want a better ending, write your own. :p LOL>>

Kara is recuperating back at the townhouse following the completion of their last mission to Wescot and neutralizing the biker gang of orcs. She reflects upon the recent operation.

The first part of the mission went well, planning ensured a significant tactical advantage and most of the bikers were taken out without even a scratch to the team. We were all well pleased, but this led to some over-confidence among most of the team members.

The subsequent part of the operation to finish off the rest of the gang at their hideout, however, was a different story. It started well, Nick and I were able to use cover of night and surprise to take out some of the sentries, but then things went wrong.

The half-elf, Rory, jumped the gun and rammed the burning truck into the orcs' cabin too early and the resulting chaos did not bode well for the team. Unfortunately for him, Rory wasn't able to get clear of his speeding Molotov Cocktail and he rode the burning truck all the way into the cabin. Rodny broke cover and followed after to try rescuing him, but the geeky fellow encountered an angry orc up close and personal. I was able to find his head later in the woods nearby, after it had become separated from his body. Since no one else was able to get Rory out of the fire, he was consumed and died, I mourn the loss of those two.

Ming did better, cutting down a few orcs with that sword of his and only received a few minor cuts for his efforts. Unfortunately he lost his cool when the local emergency crews, responding to the fire, couldn't find Rodny's head. In his rage he punched a few emergency workers in the process. He remains in lockup back in Wescot and DAS is not able to get him out. He won't cooperate, being the stubborn, silent man that he is.

Nick and I were able to sweep around back and take out the last of the orcs with our P90s. I took a nasty blow from a baseball bat but it didn't take me out and Nick dropped the creature before he got in another whack. Unfortunately Nick took a shotgun blast to the chest there at the end, but I got to him with first aid and kept him alive until the emergency services came on scene. He remains alive, yet in critical care at hospital near Wescot. He is looking at 2-3 months recovery and is unlikely to be approved for field work again.

Kara was able to arrange the clean up of the mess with a few DAS agents sent to help with salvage and disposal. She returned last week to the townhouse for debriefing and some psychological counseling. She moved out of her apartment and has taken up residence there as she continues to train and hone her skills in preparation of a potential mission if a new team of operatives can be assembled.

ThWatcher

First Post
Rodny Steinwick -(10+)/6

Rodny stands there staring at his own body. Something went wrong, horribly wrong. But he can't seem to remember what happened. At least not clearly.

She is an entity that walks through the place where universes exist, a multiverse if you will. And that is literally the truth for if any of the entities that exist there with her but will something to exist, it does. Some will entire universes into existence while others may think only of beings, individuals that spring forth from their minds to live within the universe of another.

So, it is seen that she is not alone. There are other entities that walk the multiverse as does she. They will universes into existence, one here, another there. Some create only one or 2 universes while others create them as often as humans creates sentences.

So she moves to the dieing universe where one being she created is struggling to understand what is happening to him. She steps through the veil of it's fading reality to stand within the universe created by another. That universe is rapidly fading. The buildings are but wire frames and the ground is beginning to become non-corporeal. Some portions seem twisted, as though they were forced into an un-natural shape.

She touches the one she created and he too sees the world around him fading. She holds her hand out to him. (She cringes at the clich
é as she says,) "If you want to live, come with me."

He looks around at the fading world. The vehicle, the building, even the weapon beside the hand of his body, the weapon that he had picked up only a few days ago, is all fading. On top of that, the damage to his corporeal body seems tainted, twisted. He feels like he too is fading, even his thoughts are becoming wispy. She touches him again and he becomes as solid as she is. He looks at her and places his hand in her hand. “What of my friends?”

“I can not save them for they are not mine. They exist at the whim of another and can only be saved by the one who made them.”

“You made me?” He says with both wonder and disbelief. “Are you God?”

She laughs a little. “Heavens, no. I am just one of many entities who play in this sand box.”

“But you created me?”

“Just because I can create life, that doesn’t make me a god.” Bewilderment still in his eyes, she tries a different way. “You are like a program in a computer. Self aware and allowed to make your own decisions, you can make your own destiny. Right now, the computer you exist in is breaking down, dieing. I’m offering you a chance to survive, to exist somewhere else. But, the choice is yours.”

“Can’t you fix this world?”

“No. It is not mine to fix. It sprung to life at the whim of another and that one appears to have abandoned it. And, no, I can not take it over. It is not mine. Only the original creator of a universe can keep that universe alive. If that entity looses faith in their universe, then it begins to fade away.”

“Then how can you take me?”

“You know the answer to that.”

“You created me. You created me to play in this universe that was made by another.”

“Yes. And now I’m here to save you, to take you to another place. That is, if you want to be saved.”

He tightens his grip on her hand. A tear begins to form. “But, can’t we save my friends?”

“If their creators save them, you may meet them again in another world.

As she steps through the veil with him in her protection, “Will I remember them?”

“Yes, although they may not remember you. In the new worlds you will go to, probably no one will know of your existence in another world or even of that world. They will believe you crazy if you try to tell them you’re from another world. Your adventures on other worlds will have to remain as memories only. Or, perhaps, as stories you tell your friends for their entertainment. Do not let it trouble you for such is the way for many of us.”

A wave of self calming begins to sooth him as he realizes what he is becoming. As his eyes close, he knows he will sleep for a while till a place is made ready for him.

Last edited:

Felix1459

First Post
Thinks had been going well and then the cabin behind Nick exploded. He would like to blame him missing the orc on the explosion, but he had already taken the shot when it happened. It did however knock him forward. As Nick rolled with the blast he saw one of the orcs reach for his shotgun but then his head exploded into a mess of blood and mist. [Damn that girl is a good shot.] He then springs to his feet and fires the P90 again and kills the orc he originally missed.

Nick turns his head and sees the cabin behind him in flames. To his horror he sees Rodny running towards the wreckage and knows instantly what it means. He lines up the shot and fires two shots into the window, into the truck, into Rory. No one should have to suffer burning alive. Then he saw an orc moving towards Rodney "Not on my watch." he says to himself as he brings up the sights on the orc. Click, click, click. [SH*T] Nick things to himself as he transitions to the Five-seveN. He watches in horror as the orc strikes Rodny, seperating his head from his body. "NOOOOOOOOOOOO..." Nick screams as he unloads an entire clip into the orc. The orc takes the first few shots to the back and is riddled all over as it turned to face Nick but it was too late. The orcs fate was as Rodny's. Nick ran up to the fallen orc and fired the last two shots right into its forehead.

Nick wanted to stop, wanted to rewind time, wanted to go back and save Rory and Rodny. But he runs out of time quickly. An orc drops on its non-existant face as the body hits the floor. [My gaurdian angel. I'll have to thank her later.] He sees a few more in the distance but also sees Ming spring into action and cut them down to size.

He reloads the Five-seven as Kara takes out a few more as she makes her way towards him. Suddenly an orc comes out of nowhere and clubs her with a baseball bat. He fires a few shots and kills that orc as well. A twig snaps behind him and as he turns he sees a shotgun and a flash, he pulls the trigger and sees red mist and then the night sky. The next thing he knows Kara is ripping his shirt off and her lips are moving but all he hears is a loud ringing. He thinks something clever and says "I knew you couldn't resist me." Of course the only thing that comes out are gurgles.

The next thing he remembers is waking up in the hospital. There were some flowers from Kara and a newspaper telling him of Mings incarceration. The months that pass are filled with physical therapy and phone calls to Kara. She seems more determined than ever to get the things that go bump in the night.

Then Nick started having the dreams of Melanie. She would be watching out of the corner of the room. Then one night he sees her except this time he's awake. He's sure of it. He looks over at her and blinks. In that instant she's beside him. She explains how she's missed him and how she's deceived him. She says that this is a choice he has to make, to be weak in this world or strong in between worlds. Nick takes only seconds to respond. "I'll follow you into the dark..."

Herobizkit

Adventurer
(the hell? Did I miss something in OOC?)
(Clearly I did. He went in a blaze of glory... just like a real rock star. I'm glad.)

Last edited:

Remove ads