• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Movie/TV DADHAT hits $80,856,963 box office

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Audience scores are high and I usually trust that more then critic scores.

But I hope your right.
Even awful kid movies like the Croods stick around in theaters for a long, long time, as parents want something they can take kids to. Mario's going to do fine, even after the adults stop going after the first week.

And it's not a zero sum game. Plenty of parents are going to send their kids in to see Mario while they go to see John Wick or DADHAT.

Zardnaar

Legend
Depends on what they can reuse for a sequel. And rather lose out a bit of money than producing a bad movie.

So a different question:

why is advertising a 150 million dollar movie more expensive than advertising a 100 million dollar movie?

So why is it a simple factor of the production cost? That does not sound mathematically sound.

Usually they spend more advertising ot. Tge vallpark figure us usually 50% or marketing costs. Plenty of exceptions to that. That's usually the ballpark figures for typical movies. Sometimes they do comparatively cheap guerilla marketing or have a cheap movie and spend more on marketing than the movie eg Joker.

We don't have the marketing budget they've spent something though.

The movies that cost around 250-300 million total costs gave been over 400+ million.

I've been using 300 million as the bare minimum (double the budget) and all the other sources of income might cover the marketing budget (whatever that number is).

Stalker0

Legend
No it’s doing pretty great.
With respect, financially you have no data to back this up. Zard is quoting hard financial numbers. Now they are of course estimates, and over time our understanding of the real picture will crystallize, but based on the standard estimation techniques of a movies box office financial success…the movie is doing ok at best, and is a flop at worst.

Now we can argue how much that matters in the face of merchandising, branding, and whether a second movie would be considered. But it doesn’t change the reality of whether the movie is making box office money or not

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
With respect, financially you have no data to back this up. Zard is quoting hard financial numbers. Now they are of course estimates, and over time our understanding of the real picture will crystallize, but based on the standard estimation techniques of a movies box office financial success…the movie is doing ok at best, and is a flop at worst.
Except that all of the actual industry publications seem to think it's doing OK at worst or is doing well.

The fact that he has to quote the same one random YouTuber over and over again, while ignoring what Deadline, The Hollywood Reporter, Vulture and the like are saying, suggests that his (and your) point is less informed than you would like it to be.

The Hollywood press loves to declare something is a flop and beat filmmakers to death with golden shovels. The fact that they're not doing so yet is a sign that the movie is doing fine so far.

Now, normally, a movie gotta make 200, even 300 million. But this movie, it's a genetic freak. So we gotta make maybe 150 million. So you take that 150, but minus 50 for all the Dungeons and minus 50 for the Dragons, and you got 50. 50 million, at best, you got to profit. But we already made 80, so you can see, the numbers don't lie and they spell disaster for all other movies at the box office. Holla if you hear me!

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Now, normally, a movie gotta make 200, even 300 million. But this movie, it's a genetic freak. So we gotta make maybe 150 million. So you take that 150, but minus 50 for all the Dungeons and minus 50 for the Dragons, and you got 50. 50 million, at best, you got to profit. But we already made 80, so you can see, the numbers don't lie and they spell disaster for all other movies at the box office. Holla if you hear me!
the hangover GIF

Oofta

Legend
This is not a sequel in an existing franchise, D&D is not a focused franchise, there's no established media presence outside of the game itself (i.e. TV shows with the exception of Vox Machina, no current video game franchise). What it does have is very positive reactions from people who have seen the movie.

It's quite likely that Mario and the D&D movie will dominate theaters for the month of April, especially since Mario seems to skew heavily towards the younger crowd. I don't know how we could have expected monster opening weekend movies for this, it's just not that kind of movie. Doesn't mean it won't be profitable or spawn sequels. Of course profitability depends on Hollywood accounting, but I think it's premature to make a final call. Most articles seem to think it's doing well.

Remove ads