D&D Movie/TV DADHAT hits $80,856,963 box office

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Honor Among Thieves dropped from #1 to #3 domestically on Wednesday, unseated by Super Mario Brothers and, surprisingly, Air (Ben Affleck-directed drama about the creation of Air Jordans that opened on Wednesday).

Domestic Box Office For Apr 5, 2023

Last edited:

Birmy

Adventurer
Saw the movie again Thursday afternoon and liked it even more the second time (better sound system helped, too). Our auditorium was pretty bare, but it was a weekday matinee, so not unexpected; as we left, the place was crawling with families there to see the early showtimes of Mario.

I suspect D&D will get slammed by Mario this weekend and land at second or third, depending on how John Wick does at this point of its run. [EDIT: Ah, forgot about Air, as others have mentioned! Yes, also probably a factor.] Best case scenario might be it bounces around the Top 10 due to the good word of mouth until the full-on summer blockbusters start crowding out screens and it winds up with a respectable, if unremarkable, total gross. Paramount/Hasbro wind up with a modest hit that builds up some goodwill with general audiences and primes them for an easier-sell sequel and/or the franchise expansion they've already talked about. At the absolute very least, the PTSD from the 2000 movie goes away thanks to a well-liked reboot.

That's my take, anyway.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Saw the movie again Thursday afternoon and liked it even more the second time (better sound system helped, too). Our auditorium was pretty bare, but it was a weekday matinee, so not unexpected; as we left, the place was crawling with families there to see the early showtimes of Mario.

I suspect D&D will get slammed by Mario this weekend and land at second or third, depending on how John Wick does at this point of its run. [EDIT: Ah, forgot about Air, as others have mentioned! Yes, also probably a factor.] Best case scenario might be it bounces around the Top 10 due to the good word of mouth until the full-on summer blockbusters start crowding out screens and it winds up with a respectable, if unremarkable, total gross. Paramount/Hasbro wind up with a modest hit that builds up some goodwill with general audiences and primes them for an easier-sell sequel and/or the franchise expansion they've already talked about. At the absolute very least, the PTSD from the 2000 movie goes away thanks to a well-liked reboot.

That's my take, anyway.

It won't reclaim the top spot, but I don't see John Wick creeping back much at this point either. I think Honor Among Thieves will hover in the 2-3-4 spots for a month before Guardians of the Galaxy 3 arrives and destroys everything in early May.

There are a few films that could shake things up between now an then if one or more does unexpectedly well a la Cocaine Bear/M3GAN (Renfield; Beau is Afraid; Evil Dead Rise; Are You There God? It's Me Margaret).

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Renfield and Are You There God? both seem like they have a lot of potential. They speak to audiences not currently being served and feature beloved actors, beloved books or both.

Adding in the just released Thursday domestic numbers, total worldwide sales are now about 85 million. Thursday international will bump that up a bit more, but overall still less than what I expected from the 1st week of release. I thought it would hit 100 million+ worldwide.

Adding in the just released Thursday domestic numbers, total worldwide sales are now about 85 million. Thursday international will bump that up a bit more, but overall still less than what I expected from the 1st week of release. I thought it would hit 100 million+ worldwide.
Me too.
But it is going up again. On tuesday and on a thursday with new movies. So not a bad sign, right? Right? RIGHT?

mamba

Legend
Now, normally, a movie gotta make 200, even 300 million. But this movie, it's a genetic freak. So we gotta make maybe 150 million. So you take that 150, but minus 50 for all the Dungeons and minus 50 for the Dragons, and you got 50. 50 million, at best, you got to profit. But we already made 80, so you can see, the numbers don't lie and they spell disaster for all other movies at the box office. Holla if you hear me!
what do you base this on and where are the missing 200m made up?

Remove ads