• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Damn it! Han shot first!!!!

Starman

Adventurer
Another thought had occured to me - maybe he's old. Or sick. Kinda getting delusional? I hope not, because that would be terribly for him and his family.
But the way he pretends that he always had one, grand vision of Star Wars and that never changed just doesn't seem rational, considering the evidence against it.

I think it's just hubris.

You know, I don't really care what Lucas' vision (original or otherwise) is, was, or will be. I care what's in the film, what it means and what it conveys. Once released, the interpretation of a film belongs to the audience, not the creator.

In my opinion, the personality of Han and the message of the film was far stronger, especially given Han's character arc both in the original film and the original trilogy, in the *original* version where Han shot first.

Lucas didn't ruin my childhood by rewriting history, but he did weaken a masterpiece. It's as if 20 years later Da Vinci came back and painted a grin on the Mona Lisa.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
After all is said and done, I think this would be the best contribution Lucas can give to Star Wars this day forward.

c24fb1ca5a3221c8ea1538f109cbdc09.jpg

Dire Bare

Legend
you know, i don't really care what lucas' vision (original or otherwise) is, was, or will be. I care what's in the film, what it means and what it conveys. Once released, the interpretation of a film belongs to the audience, not the creator.

In my opinion, the personality of han and the message of the film was far stronger, especially given han's character arc both in the original film and the original trilogy, in the *original* version where han shot first.

Lucas didn't ruin my childhood by rewriting history, but he did weaken a masterpiece. It's as if 20 years later da vinci came back and painted a grin on the mona lisa.

+1

after all is said and done, i think this would be the best contribution lucas can give to star wars this day forward.

c24fb1ca5a3221c8ea1538f109cbdc09.jpg

Elf Witch

First Post
I know I'm in the minority here, at least on the intarwebs. In reality, I don't think that many people really feel as if their childhoods where messed with. Mine certainly wasn't.

I remember my Dad taking me to the first Star Wars films when I was something like six or seven, and I remember eagerly going to the Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi as I got a little older. I had a huge collection of Star Wars figures, any my childhood fantasies were fueled by those films. As an adult, they remain an important part of my life, and I continue to participate in the Star Wars universe to, in part, relive those wonderful childhood memories. Just got done playing "The Old Republic" late last night, in fact.

But I've never felt that Lucas "messed" (or any of the stronger terms some folks use) my childhood in any way by altering his films. I don't think he needed to do it, I don't like some of his alterations, and I would rather he leave well enough alone. But I still have my memories and experiences (and copies of the original films), they haven't been taken away from me.

This kind of whiny, entitled, fan reaction isn't confined to the Star Wars universe, by any means, it fuels our edition wars on these boards as well. I've seen it in Star Trek fandom . . . . and just visit the message boards of any fandom at all and you'll see at least some engaging in the same behavior . . . it seems very human. But I've never really fully understood it, and it always irritates the hell out of me . . .

I so agree with you on this.

Okay I was married when the first film came out so I was not a child but I don't get how this is anyway ruining your childhood.

Also it is his intellectual property he do what ever he wants with it he does not owe any of the fans anymore than he has already given them which was some movies that people loved.

RainOfSteel

Explorer
I REALLY hope the re-release of Star Wars in 3D BOMBS in the box office because of that interview.
I don't care whether any release bombs or not. When I heard it was coming out in 3D, I shrugged and went on with what I was doing at the time, not even remotely interested in seeing it again.

George Lucas has utterly destroyed the Star Wars franchise from my point of view.

Letting Greedo shoot at point blank range, with the gun pointed straight at Han, and miss, was ridiculously stupid. As in brainless. The laser shot goes off at a wildly impossible angle from the angle of the gun barrel.

Han shooting first doesn't make him seem like a cold blooded killer. When someone has a gun to you at point blank range, is a known killer, and is mouthing words to the effect that he is going to kill you in the following seconds, and you shoot first, it's self defense, pure and simple. Now, Han almost certainly was not sorry he'd killed Greedo. That made him seem hard-bitten and callous. That was, in my opinion, the way it was supposed to be.

Never once from the age of eight when I first saw Star Wars did I ever think of Han as a cold blooded killer because he shot first. On the other hand, I did think the writers were unmitigated noobs for having Han say, "It's the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs." Uh, hello? That's like saying, "It's the car that ran the Indy 500 in 400 miles!" Utterly nonsensical. I spent years wondering how the "race officials" had allowed Han to cheat or why the other contestants hadn't objected, but of course, the whole "Kessel Run" may have not have been a legally conducted event to begin with. The writers obviously didn't understand something that even an eight year-old knew, that a parsec was a measure of distance, not of time. If George Lucas was going to fix anything at all in the first movie, it should have been this gaffe.

In the second trilogy, major contributors to retroactively killing the first trilogy were:

Medichlorians. This pretty much shot down what was magical about the Star Wars universe. Star Wars was Science Fantasy from the beginning. This was nothing less than an attempt to convert it to be more like actual Science Fiction. Forget it. That isn't what Star Wars was about.

Annakin as whiz-kid and then whiny and horny older teenager. Whatever.

catsclaw227

First Post
After reading through this thread, I have to say I kinda agree with Dire Bear on this one. I really don't understand the whole "ruined my childhood" thing or how some people are so angrily fired up that he tweaked on his own movies over the years. Yea, some of the changes sucked. But personally, I could care less WHO shot first. Those two or three seconds don't change the movie for me at all.

Like Dire Bear said, it's the hate and want of his dying that is weird and unsettling. The image mashup of Lucas frozen in carbonite, and then alluding that this is what he deserves, is just plain sick.

Whatever... maybe I just don't get it.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
The image mashup of Lucas frozen in carbonite, and then alluding that this is what he deserves, is just plain sick.

Whatever... maybe I just don't get it.

It's not a mashup it's an actual sculpture someone made.

I have no clue where you got the killing part from. Lucas being placed in carbonite isn't that bad considering that being placed in carbonite only means you will be placed in suspended animation for an indefinite period of time. In Lucas's case it being done to prevent him from tinkering around with any more films during my life time (or until Star Wars goes public domain depending on how the law is written in regards to suspended animation) and to teach USC film students that they should create and not just focus on remaking/editing one film series over an over again because they have some notion that it isn't 100% completed. :p

Fyi, I would also place Kevin Smith in Carbonite. ;)

Last edited:

catsclaw227

First Post
I have no clue where you got the killing part from. Lucas being placed in carbonite isn't that bad considering that being placed in carbonite only means you will be placed in suspended animation for an indefinite period of time. In Lucas's case it being done to prevent him from tinkering around with any more films during my life time (or until Star Wars goes public domain depending on how the law is written in regards to suspended animation) and to teach USC film students that they should create and not just focus on remaking/editing one film series over an over again because they have some notion that it isn't 100% completed. :p
The dying sentence and the carbonite sentence were independent of each other. Obviously, Han lived after his carbonite prison.

Ed_Laprade said:
For those who don't get it, its called venting. Look it up.
There are better ways to vent than to spew hateful vitriol. Look it up.

Remove ads