• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dark Age of Camelot

ragnar1965

First Post
A couple of friends and I decided we were going to give a mmorpg a try. After much debate about EVE, CoH, and DAoC, we decided to go with DAoC. I know that WoW is 'da bomb right now. However, we aren't going that way (Blizzard thing that I won't go into here). We picked it, because we liked the theme. And I had a couple of other friends that at least used to play and liked it a lot. I haven't talked to them in a while, so I don't know if they're still playing or not. Anyway, there's been a lot of whining going on across most of the message boards that I've seen about the game and changes over the last year. Is anyone still playing it and having fun? Just curious.

Ragnar

Last edited:

Khairn

First Post
I played DAOC for along time, and although I am now looking at other games, I still keep my account open and play with friends. DAOC is a great game, IMHO, and as a game to start your MMORPG playing career, I think its a fantastic choice. The new expansion is called Catacombs and its the only box you will need to buy. It has the basic game as well as all the other expansions. Catacombs expanded all the realms and made levelling, especially for new players, VERY fun and easy.

My first recommendation would be to start playing on the Gaheris server which is the "co-op" server, meaning there is no RvR (PvP battles). The reason for this is that Gaheris will give you the chance to see how the game works, to try out different classes and races, and to explore all 3 realms ( Albion, Hibernia & Midgard) Besides, Gaheris has one of the best communities and some great players and guilds.

Once you have a feel for the game (and if you are still interested) you can then start over on the RvR server of your choice.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help you out.

email me at Taurren@ctvea.net if you would like.

ragnar1965

First Post
Devyn, Thanks for the wonderful help. I think we will get started tonight. A question, though about Catacombs. It looks like from what I can see and what it says on Amazon, that it doesn't include anything but the expansion. Are you sure about it containing everything? Thanks again.

Ragnar

Khairn

First Post
All I can do is share my own experience.

I recently had a total HD meltdown. I couldn't find my original DAOC disks or the Shrouded Isles Expansion. All I had was the Trials of Atlantis and my copy of Catacombs.

I took a chance and loaded up Catacombs by itself. After loading it up, I was asked for my original password key. I left that blank and just went on. It created 2 Catacombs icons on my desktop. I double-clicked on the primary icon (not the Test-Catacombs icon) and it began to patch. After about a 20 minute patch I was asked to activate my account, which I did, and then I was in.

I remember reading on the IGN boards that you didnt need the entire suite of boxes if you were starting new, but I hadnt read anything on the DAOC/Mythic site itself.

I hope that helps.

If you descide to play on the Gaheris server let me know your character names and I'll be able to give you something to help start you out.

The game is really alot of fun, and all this talk has picqued my desire to play it some more.

Hopefully I'll meet you soon.

Thanee

First Post
ragnar1965 said:
Anyway, there's been a lot of whining going on across most of the message boards that I've seen about the game and changes over the last year.

MMORPG Rule #1 NEVER judge a game by the whining in the forum. There is always whining regardless of whether a change was good or bad. ;)

If you dislike Blizzard, why didn't you check out EverQuest 2?
It's also new and sounds like it's quite good (not as good as WoW, but close enough).

Bye
Thanee

ragnar1965

First Post
Thanee-

To be honest, I don't have a good reason for not checking out EQ2. Like I said before, we really liked the theme of DAoC. The fact that I knew a couple of people who were already playing and had been for a couple of years helped. Thanks for the response, though. I'll take the messageboard whining with a grain of salt.

Devyn-

We decided against Gaheris. We decided to just get in there and get dirty. My friend has dial-up, so we had some immediate issues with the startup (86 MB worth of patches). I was able to find the 51 mb Catacombs patch off-site so I was able to burn that for him. Why can't they make their patches available for download as well as auto-load? There has to be at least a small percentage of dial-up users out there. Those mega patches kill them.

Oh well. We are playing on Galahad server right now in the Albion realm. I spent entirely too much time playing this game over the weekend. I've got 3 characters levelled to 5/6. That is definitely the first plateau point. However, the Wizard is already rockin' cool even at low levels. Having a little trouble finding a good place to keep levelling. We tried Mithra's tomb. It's listed as a great place for new players to do some levelling. As soon as you walk in, there are two level 9/10 characters waiting for you. I guess it's gonna require a decent size party. I did have one question if you don't mind. On two different occasions (and two different quests) this weekend, after completing a quest I was speaking the the person who gave it to me. When they tried to give me a reward, I couldn't click on the linked word. On one occasion I got out of the game and reentered and it was ok. On the other, I reentered and now he won't talk to me. I also can't get the next quest because the main quest giver sees the previous quest as incomplete. So now, neither one of the will talk to me. It just keeps saying that I examine *name* and he is a merchant. I was only 4th level at the time, so creating another character and re-questing wasn't that big of a deal. If this happens when I'm 25th or 30th level, then I'm gonna be peeved. Any suggestions?

Thanks again for the response.

Ragnar

Khairn

First Post
I've never had any problems with the quests like the ones you've described. There are some quests that lead into others quests, and sometimes there are minimal levels required ... which is the only thing I can think of.

The best site to learn about quests is at Allakhazam http://camelot.allakhazam.com/

They have most of the quests listed by realm along with tips and potential problems. If each of you have Catacombs and are looking to level quickly, use the Instance Task Dungeons. There is a "Taskmaster" in Cotswald for lvs 1-10, and another in Pryd Keep for lvs 11-20. These instant dungeons that they give to you are great for leveling although the money and drops aren't that great.

Mihtra's tomb can be tough at lower levels. Even though the dungeon is listed as 7th lv starting ... at that level you will need a good group to be able to survive.

I dont have any characters on that server, but if you have any other questions just let me know.

Devyn

Kazzy

First Post
I'm a long time DAOC player too. Those quest problems you had aren't too common but here's some tricks try typeing the word you are meant to click on into /say or the main tab. If that doesn't work you can always appeal and an in game CSR will help you. Sometimes appeals take awhile so I would recommend that if you can't play or continue to play then use the stuck appeal that way they will get to ya faster. Also even though you were able to re roll your character this time if you can remember what quest it was and npc I would send in a bug appeal that way the next time someone does it hopefully it will be fixed.

Good Luck and Have fun.

ragnar1965

First Post
Thanks Kazzy. I'll try that. I had to do an appeal last night for something else. Master Dunwyn dissappeared from Avalon Marsh in the beginning Albion quests. I did the appeal and maybe an hour later, we're walking along killing things back around Camelot and there he is standing on a hill. I can only assume the CSR's inserted him so we could continue our quests. I was a bit of a surprise, but cool nevertheless.

I have another one for you all. I decided to try the guy that gives you the instanced quests. From both Cotswold in Albion and the Hibernia town (can't remember the name) I was given quests to clear out the caves to the *direction*. I have walked all over the stinking Camelot map and can't find any caves at all. In Hibernia, there may have been caves. However, the direction he told me to go put me in an area with tons of reds and purples (aggressive so there was no just walking through or around). Am I missing something? Thanks for the help.

Ragnar

Khairn

First Post
The entrances to the "Instance Dungeons" appear in only 2 forms.

The first looks like a pile of grey rocks, while the second is the trunk of a dead tree that surrounded by 2 or 3 other naked tree's (no leaves on them). There might also be a bunch of gravestones around them as when you die in one of the ID's your grave appears just outside the entrance.

I haven't had too much of a problem with the directions that the Taskmasters have given. The key to finding them is not to deviate from the direction that they gave you.

The ID from the Cotswald Taskmaster is on the hill just to the south below Cotswald. If the Hibernian ID you're refering to is at Mag Mell, here are some directions. Face the bindstone at Mag Mell so that the main bldg is in front of you. Turn 45 degree's to your left (NE direction I think) and then just move in a straight line until you see the dead tree's. Its about a 30 second run beyond Mag Mell. Do not head towards the lake on your right or over the hill that is directly behind Mag Mell as that area will be too tough for you.

I hope that helps.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads