D&D 5E Dark Souls 5e Copy in Hand… Q&A

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Unfortunately from the sound of things, it's not entirely compatible with itself.

All snark aside, it sounds like hopefully this is all simple stuff that can be fixed with errata.
From the list I saw, it is no simple 2-3 pages errata, its more in the line of a re-edition with a large rewrite of the system. Sadly, I was really waiting to get my hands on this.

Interestingly, what this isn’t is D&D hardcore mode.

• Position is nice but fundamentally no worse than hp, and in some cases will lead to more hp equivalents and healing than 5e.
  • Bloodied is a nice mechanic and boosts monsters but it also boosts PCs so not harder.
  • Classes aren’t weaker - they just lack the variance of subclass (with the exception of casters who are nerfed to hell - as befits a dark souls game) So not really harder, just different
  • Initiative rolls are interesting but it’s really still an initiative roll off, it just means the monsters is fixed. Plus PCs can act in whatever order they like so actually easier.
  • Limited equipment - weapons actually do more. Quite a bit more as standard. So not harder.

What actually makes the game harder is tougher monsters such as those in the back… which we can do in 5e as we stand now.

So all in all, my quest for a 5e hardcore mode continues…
What are you looking for in 5e hard mode. We’ve run a few games in what I consider hard mode, but everyone has a different idea on what that means.

dave2008

Legend
Interestingly, what this isn’t is D&D hardcore mode.

• Position is nice but fundamentally no worse than hp, and in some cases will lead to more hp equivalents and healing than 5e.
  • Bloodied is a nice mechanic and boosts monsters but it also boosts PCs so not harder.
  • Classes aren’t weaker - they just lack the variance of subclass (with the exception of casters who are nerfed to hell - as befits a dark souls game) So not really harder, just different
  • Initiative rolls are interesting but it’s really still an initiative roll off, it just means the monsters is fixed. Plus PCs can act in whatever order they like so actually easier.
  • Limited equipment - weapons actually do more. Quite a bit more as standard. So not harder.

What actually makes the game harder is tougher monsters such as those in the back… which we can do in 5e as we stand now.

So all in all, my quest for a 5e hardcore mode continues…
I will second Uni's question: What are you looking for in a 5e hardcore game.

Jaeger

That someone better
I think it's been stated it's more stand aloneish technically.

And yet... They have the '5e Compatible' logo right on the front cover.

It does kinda' beg the question; how far can a 5e adaptation drift and still be considered 5e compatible?

From the list I saw, it is no simple 2-3 pages errata, its more in the line of a re-edition with a large rewrite of the system. Sadly, I was really waiting to get my hands on this.

Ouch.

And confirming people's reason's for never backing first print run collector's editions...

Last edited:

Remove ads