D&D 5E DARK SOULS' New 5E Mechanics

Steamforged Games released their first look at the 5E mechanics which will be powering their upcoming Dark Souls tabletop RPG, based on the video game. The game will be available for preorder next week with a release date in March. Steamforge say they "cut 5E to ribbons before reanimating it", which implies some fairly extensive changes to the system. Here's what they highlighted...

Steamforged Games released their first look at the 5E mechanics which will be powering their upcoming Dark Souls tabletop RPG, based on the video game. The game will be available for preorder next week with a release date in March.

DS-RPG-Core-Book-Promo-Shot.png

Steamforge say they "cut 5E to ribbons before reanimating it", which implies some fairly extensive changes to the system. Here's what they highlighted:
  • Position. Position combines 'health' and 'stamina' (two things in the video game). It measure health, but it's also a resource you can spend to boost die rolls or use special abilities. Presumably, this means that hit points have gone by the wayside.
  • Bloodied. A mechanic from D&D 4E, a creature is bloodied when it hits half Position. This can trigger bonuses and new abilities.
  • Magic. Vancian magic is gone entirely. Instead is a flexible system drawn from the video game. You have attunement slots, and spells take up a number of slots. Some require Position to cast or boost.
  • Death. At 0 Position you die. No saves. However you then respawn. But each time you die you lose part of yourself; it's not specified what that means exactly.
https://steamforged.com/blogs/brands/first-look-at-new-mechanics-in-dark-souls™-the-roleplaying-game

Yeah, I can't wait to see what other ideas are in the book. Combat felt much faster.

Those are both very cool ideas!

The creator said that it was going to be available in the UK and EU sooner than stateside. Jealous!

So weirdly looking at it the UK web store has it down for sale now, whereas the US webstore says 16th May. So it wasn’t so much luck, as living in the same country as the company.

Weiley31

Legend
Uh-oh! Looks like the Dark Souls TTRPG isn't even out yet (except for the lucky few(all?) who are getting their Collector's Editions way before May 15th, like me) and it's in a bit of hot water. Aside from typos, Paladin being mentioned, Elementals/Aberrations being options for a class's favored enemy, and among other things, there is apparently a reddit with a whole bunch of other errors that are being/have been compiled. Hmm, I know the PDF will probably get updated with errata, but what about my physical Collector's Edition? Do I just assumed I'm boned in that regard?

Personal Observation: Of the issues present, I low-key like the fact that Healing Kits can be seen/act somewhat like "Lives" in a video game. I may keep that as a "house rule" for my Dark Souls TTRPG sessions for "Non-Undead characters."

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
Uh-oh! Looks like the Dark Souls TTRPG isn't even out yet (except for the lucky few(all?) who are getting their Collector's Editions way before May 15th, like me) and it's in a bit of hot water. Aside from typos, Paladin being mentioned, Elementals/Aberrations being options for a class's favored enemy, and among other things, there is apparently a reddit with a whole bunch of other errors that are being/have been compiled. Hmm, I know the PDF will probably get updated with errata, but what about my physical Collector's Edition? Do I just assumed I'm boned in that regard?

Personal Observation: Of the issues present, I low-key like the fact that Healing Kits can be seen/act somewhat like "Lives" in a video game. I may keep that as a "house rule" for my Dark Souls TTRPG sessions for "Non-Undead characters."
And another link for the Baator of it.

Is there any chance of corrections before the books are delivered to the US?

That's disappointing news. I would imagine that at this point the regular books are printed, but maybe not? We'll know if they push the stateside release date back, I suppose, or just release a PDF of errata.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Wow...that one skill that lets you spend 2 positions to regain 1 position is a thing of beauty :p
This is not even a few mistakes and oversight, the actual lists of things plainly not working is getting somewhat long.

They should definitely stop the print, playtest it a few months more and have people actually used to 5e go over it...many times.

Remove ads

Remove ads