D&D 5E DARK SOULS' New 5E Mechanics

Steamforged Games released their first look at the 5E mechanics which will be powering their upcoming Dark Souls tabletop RPG, based on the video game. The game will be available for preorder next week with a release date in March. Steamforge say they "cut 5E to ribbons before reanimating it", which implies some fairly extensive changes to the system. Here's what they highlighted...

Steamforged Games released their first look at the 5E mechanics which will be powering their upcoming Dark Souls tabletop RPG, based on the video game. The game will be available for preorder next week with a release date in March.

DS-RPG-Core-Book-Promo-Shot.png

Steamforge say they "cut 5E to ribbons before reanimating it", which implies some fairly extensive changes to the system. Here's what they highlighted:
  • Position. Position combines 'health' and 'stamina' (two things in the video game). It measure health, but it's also a resource you can spend to boost die rolls or use special abilities. Presumably, this means that hit points have gone by the wayside.
  • Bloodied. A mechanic from D&D 4E, a creature is bloodied when it hits half Position. This can trigger bonuses and new abilities.
  • Magic. Vancian magic is gone entirely. Instead is a flexible system drawn from the video game. You have attunement slots, and spells take up a number of slots. Some require Position to cast or boost.
  • Death. At 0 Position you die. No saves. However you then respawn. But each time you die you lose part of yourself; it's not specified what that means exactly.
https://steamforged.com/blogs/brands/first-look-at-new-mechanics-in-dark-souls™-the-roleplaying-game

Weiley31

Legend
Is there any chance of corrections before the books are delivered to the US?
I have no idea. I'm not even sure if this is an issue exclusive to the Collector's Edition only or what not. In fact, the only thing i"ve heard is that Steamforged Games asked for feedback on what the issues were and pretty much is having the community relay it back to them, where I would assume they will then update the PDF with fixes. I haven't seen anything yet for the physical copies. And my "Shipped" notification was two or three days ago, so I'm not sure they could hold it over for fixes.

TheSword

Legend
My issue is that it’s just not compatible with 80% of other 5e stuff.

I would port over monsters, the bloodied condition, and the initiative method. That’s about it.

I like the idea of some special abilities for weapons but it would all be homebrew.

Weiley31

Legend
Well, it's been a while since we've heard any major news, but here is the major update in regard to the Steamforged Games Dark Souls: TTRPG.

The good news is that at the end of June, anybody that pre-ordered from Steamforged Games/Third Party Retailers will be getting the PDF of the revised/completed/errata version of the rpg. (Although Third Party Retailer pre-orders require a bit of an extra step going to a different website for their PDFS.)

Bad News: Ironically, despite not having a Kickstarter, our pre-ordered physical copies of the revised/completed/errata version has a Kickstarter type of release date in the month of October of this year. (not as bad as most Kickstarter 5e rpg fulfillment release date track records, but.....still might as well had done it as a kickstarter with a wait that longish.)

Also: everybody outside of the US will have to go to the provided secondary link to process the replacement of your book. US customers will automatically be shipped the replacement copy once October comes around.

Secondary link provided in the first link above:

https://support.steamforged.com/hc/en-us

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Well, it's been a while since we've heard any major news, but here is the major update in regard to the Steamforged Games Dark Souls: TTRPG.

The good news is that at the end of June, anybody that pre-ordered from Steamforged Games/Third Party Retailers will be getting the PDF of the revised/completed/errata version of the rpg. (Although Third Party Retailer pre-orders require a bit of an extra step going to a different website for their PDFS.)

Bad News: Ironically, despite not having a Kickstarter, our pre-ordered physical copies of the revised/completed/errata version has a Kickstarter type of release date in the month of October of this year. (not as bad as most Kickstarter 5e rpg fulfillment release date track records, but.....still might as well had done it as a kickstarter with a wait that longish.)

Also: everybody outside of the US will have to go to the provided secondary link to process the replacement of your book. US customers will automatically be shipped the replacement copy once October comes around.

Secondary link provided in the first link above:

https://support.steamforged.com/hc/en-us
It sucks that there was such a debacle with the first wave of books. At least they’re fixing their mistake. A lot of other companies would just say “too bad” and move on.

Weiley31

Legend
It sucks that there was such a debacle with the first wave of books. At least they’re fixing their mistake. A lot of other companies would just say “too bad” and move on.
I'm kinda surprised Steamforged Games didn't straight up do that. Their track record with Dark Souls, apparently, isn't exactly as smooth of a ride for a brand. And to be quite honest, I wouldn't have mind having my initial copy of the Dark Souls TTRPG being part of the first wave while getting provided the revised/errata copy. (I'll admit that some of the mistakes in the first wave books, such as Healing Kits acting as a form of "lives", seems more like an unintentional house rule that I wouldn't have mind implementing.)

Jaeger

That someone better

Agreed.

The replacement copy's are actually a big deal. Some serious good will stuff there. Because they are killing any profit that was to be made from those print runs. It is probably even costing them money.

Unfortunately in RPG land: First impressions stick.

They have no room for error even with the PDF revisions. They have to get it right. Even then they will have an uphill battle to get lots of people to take a second look...

Weiley31

Legend
Agreed.

The replacement copy's are actually a big deal. Some serious good will stuff there. Because they are killing any profit that was to be made from those print runs. It is probably even costing them money.

Unfortunately in RPG land: First impressions stick.

They have no room for error even with the PDF revisions. They have to get it right. Even then they will have an uphill battle to get lots of people to take a second look...
My goodness I will laugh my tail off and shake my head if the PDF/errata'd version ends up being a trash heap again.

Jaeger

That someone better
My goodness I will laugh my tail off and shake my head if the PDF/errata'd version ends up being a trash heap again.

One would hope that would be impossible.

But as it seems like they missed the concept of a proof copy the first time around; I wouldn't take it off of the table just yet...

Remove ads

Remove ads