D&D 5E DARK SOULS' New 5E Mechanics

Steamforged Games released their first look at the 5E mechanics which will be powering their upcoming Dark Souls tabletop RPG, based on the video game. The game will be available for preorder next week with a release date in March. Steamforge say they "cut 5E to ribbons before reanimating it", which implies some fairly extensive changes to the system. Here's what they highlighted...

Steamforged Games released their first look at the 5E mechanics which will be powering their upcoming Dark Souls tabletop RPG, based on the video game. The game will be available for preorder next week with a release date in March.

DS-RPG-Core-Book-Promo-Shot.png

Steamforge say they "cut 5E to ribbons before reanimating it", which implies some fairly extensive changes to the system. Here's what they highlighted:
  • Position. Position combines 'health' and 'stamina' (two things in the video game). It measure health, but it's also a resource you can spend to boost die rolls or use special abilities. Presumably, this means that hit points have gone by the wayside.
  • Bloodied. A mechanic from D&D 4E, a creature is bloodied when it hits half Position. This can trigger bonuses and new abilities.
  • Magic. Vancian magic is gone entirely. Instead is a flexible system drawn from the video game. You have attunement slots, and spells take up a number of slots. Some require Position to cast or boost.
  • Death. At 0 Position you die. No saves. However you then respawn. But each time you die you lose part of yourself; it's not specified what that means exactly.
https://steamforged.com/blogs/brands/first-look-at-new-mechanics-in-dark-souls™-the-roleplaying-game

I'm reminded of Shigeru Miyamoto's words:

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad."

Unfortunately in RPG land: First impressions stick.

They have no room for error even with the PDF revisions. They have to get it right. Even then they will have an uphill battle to get lots of people to take a second look...

Weiley31

Legend
Update: For those of us who pre-ordered the Dark Souls TTRPG physical copies from Steamforged, check your email. I received my download for the PDF version.
Also please note: according to Steamforged Games, this PDF should be the Errata version and should reflect all the fixes to the various issues that plagued the initial Physical Copies of Dark Souls TTRPG. Lord help them if this turns out even worse as this PDF is supposed to be the version that we're getting for the Physical Copies in October.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Update: Either DriveThruRpg is having a slow speed traffic kind of day or Steamforged somehow screwed up again as I'm so far stuck on "Preparing to Download." and I have HIGH SPEED Verizon Internet too!
Yep, same here. and if you go to the link of the book, it says page not found. I'm assuming it's just set to private, but who really knows....

Weiley31

Legend
Oh, that's neat: The Sunlight Spear Miracle actually has rules for the whole classic "Casting Lighting at an enemy group standing in water" effect with the rule breakdown.

Basically, if the Sunlight Spear Miracle is cast at water, everything standing in said water or within 10 feet of water must make a Dexterity Save Throw. If they fail, they take damage, but half on success.
In this case: Sunlight Spear does, by default, 15D6 of damage to the main target when used normally. For the electrifying water portion, everything suffers 12D6 of lighting damage. So, it's a simple D6 reduction of 3D6s from the 15D6 pool: 15-3=12D6.

So, for anybody wanting to replicate that videogame cliche/trope of Lighting+Water=BAD, just follow a similar structure for your regular 5E games and adjust accordingly with your Lightning spells.

Last edited:

Likewise, I had trouble getting it to download but eventually managed it. First thing I did was search for "radient." I was pleased that no results were found.

Remove ads

Remove ads