Dark Sun 5e, A minimalist conversion. (full) [OC]

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
I'm digging the idea of Plool running around with a big cleaver (battle-axe) via Kensei. (It just narrowly beat out Drunken Master). But the artist tools seem kind of out of place. Any chance I could get something like bone-carving tool proficiency?

sounds like a perfect substitution.
do you get finess with the battle axe? the Quabone is a 1d8 finess weapon but its bludgeoning.
I guess you could use the axe mostly for defense/objects.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Yes. The finesse is a subclass feature. They can't use it on special, two handed, or heavy weapons. However it does work on versatile weapons. Mostly so you can use a longsword as a katana. But it works for battle axes and other weapons like that too.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Oh, one other question. We had time for a long rest, does that give enough time to craft something too?

It might be easier to craft some weapons and arrows than find or buy them sometimes.

Last edited:

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Oh, one other question. We had time for a long rest, does that give enough time to craft something too?

It might be easier to craft some weapons and arrows than find or buy them sometimes.

You have another day or two of inaction - enough time to make a few arrows at least - if you did end up with coins, you could probably buy flint weapons from the other merchants. (flint is the main weapon material used Raam) you could also ask or trade with the other merchant house guards for weapons you like better.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Whaddaya think, should I go Samurai (to emulate Chtckh's stoicism) or try out the Psychic Warrior UA, or what? Any suggestions?
First thing that sprang to mind was Arcane Archer. But that wouldn't quite work because of it being magic (which could be re-skinned), and Chtckh not investing heavily into mental stats (which can't be helped)

Second thing was Battle Master. Using the Snipe Maneuver (from the other new UA, you could even get a new non-combat Maneuver), plus a few others to help back up his "Speed Demon" nickname.

Though I will admit, stoic isn't the first thing to comes to mind when I think of Chtckh, he seems more twichy in my mind. So go with whatever you think will shape the character in your mind.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
You're probably right that I've been playing him twitchy. Actually, I kind of like that, come to think of it. Arcane Archer is probably a bit too "arcane", so I'll take a look at Maneuvers that feel like him and see how that works out.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
I agree about the arcane archer not feeling very psionic.
Samurai seems like a noble/educated warrior, and that's a big leap from slave gladiator.
I like battlemaster and the UA Psionic warrior.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Samurai seems like a noble/educated warrior, and that's a big leap from slave gladiator.

Only really in the fluff. Except maybe if you choose History (re: educated), otherwise your proficiency choices are insight, performance, and persuasion (seem pretty gladiator to me). While I think the Samurai works pretty well for Samurai, it also is pretty easy to use for other fighter-ideas, IMO. Still, I'll go battlemaster with him, I think.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
No one wants to share their story with Plool and the others in alpha squad?
The next post was also going to have a chance for you guys to set up scenes for each other.
but it might work better if we stick with the more normal GM doing the setup.

thoughts?
also do we want to take an offical break for Christmas?
Me and the Fam are staying at home this year, so while I probably won't post a new scene on Christmas Day or Eve, I will still be around.

Remove ads