• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Darth Plagueis

Water Bob

Adventurer
I'm listening to Star Wars: Darth Plagueis, by James Luceno. Almost done. Man, this book is FANTASTIC. If you're a Star Wars fan, this book is the prequel to the prequels.

Not only is the book incredible (look at the Amazon ratings), but the recorded audiobook that I am listening to is a brilliant production. It's unabridged, but the narrator, Daniel Davis, is excellent in making his voice sound different for different characters. Plus, the production includes some sound effects and music here and there to accent the reading. It makes for a damn involving book. More than once I just wanted to sit in my car at the parking lot and not walk into work because I was listening to a gripping scene.

There are two types of Star Wars books. There are those that are Star Wars adventures--space opera romps telling another story that we haven't seen. And, then there are those few Star Wars books that actually build the Star Wars universe, adding detail, understanding, and depth. This book is of the latter variety.

Yes, the book has been labeled with the "Star Wars Legends" category, which makes it an unofficial part of the timeline. But, it's a damn good read, and it actually makes the prequel films better, because it adds so much more depth to the story.

With the prequels, we learned how Palpatine became the Emperor. With this book, we learn how Palpatine became a Sith, how Darth Maul became his apprentice, and who was the mysterious Sith Lord that Palpatine mentions Revenge of the Sith--Darth Plagueis, the Dark Lord that Palpatine says can use the Force to raise people from the dead.

There's lots of politics in this book, and there's a lot of Sith lore. The "tone" is more like the prequels than the original trilogy in that regard. The book isn't a swashbuckling adventure. It contains a lot of answers about things that have previously gone unanswered. I especially like the way the book brings the mystery back to the Force that was taken away when midichlorians were introduced in The Phantom Menace. This book shows how midichlorians and exists but the Force still be regarded as this quasi-religious, not fully understood form of "magic".

Excellent book. Five stars. Highly recommended.

Last edited:

Water Bob

Adventurer
Thankfully, the gungans are only mentioned in passing in this book. I've read most of the book, and there are no gungan characters yet.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I have read very few Star Wars books, but I really enjoyed Death Star, about Tarkin and the building of the first DS. Great read. I followed up with Tarkin, a book about Tarkin, which was fairly poor.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads