D&D General Data from a million DnDBeyond character sheets?

darjr

I crit!
Not sure of the legitimacy of the scrape or of the survey. But if it is I thought it was interesting enough to share. And somebody here would pick it apart if it’s bogus.

This seems to say that fighters and rogues are more popular than the online discourse about classes would lead folks to believe.

Didn’t we hear something similar about fighters being the most popular class before, from DnDBeyond?

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Not sure if the legitimacy of the scrape or of the survey. But if it is I thought it was interesting enough to share. And somebody here would pick it apart if it’s bogus.

This seems to say that fighters and rogues are more popular than the online discourse about classes would lead folks to believe.

Didn’t we hear something similar about fighters being the most popular class before, from DnDBeyond?

Still a fraction of Beyond users...but yeah, that squares with all official statements about what people actually like: even among people with access to all optioan, Champion Fighter is the most popular option, per Beyond back in the day.

Scribe

Legend
Not sure of the legitimacy of the scrape or of the survey. But if it is I thought it was interesting enough to share. And somebody here would pick it apart if it’s bogus.

Hope that gets downloaded before someone claims some kind of trade secret and gets it nuked...

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
It's a nice analysis. I don't think there's anything really shocking or new here. New (or casual) players gravitate towards options that don't require them to select between a lot of bespoke, text-dense options.

It just supports something I've said for years; the game needs a simple pew-pew "mage" that doesn't use bespoke spells for new players who like the wizardly image but not the complex gameplay, and a complex warrior type (doesn't have to be fighter) for the complexity-loving players who also enjoy martial tropes.

Scribe

Legend
It's a nice analysis. I don't think there's anything really shocking or new here. New (or casual) players gravitate towards options that don't require them to select between a lot of bespoke, text-dense options.

It just supports something I've said for years; the game needs a simple pew-pew "mage" that doesn't use bespoke spells for new players who like the wizardly image but not the complex gameplay, and a complex warrior type (doesn't have to be fighter) for the complexity-loving players who also enjoy martial tropes.

Yeah this is data Wizards would have poured over, and the fact remains the Fighter is popular, and that may be why its not been changed to 'mythic fighter'.

ichabod

Legned
Downloaded the set. May play with it later. Not a lot of fields, but an analysis of the names might be interesting. I might look at the ability scores, but some of them look messed up, so I don't know if there is any utility there.

Oofta

Legend
None of this is surprising. There's absolutely no reason to believe that WOTC has some nefarious desire to mislead the community about what people actually play.

It would be interesting if they opened up their data to public analysis, but end of the day it doesn't really matter much. Other than to say that it confirms that plenty of people choose to play fighters and rogues; those classes do not need a dramatic rewrite.

Remove ads