• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Data from a million DnDBeyond character sheets?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I think simply the comparison of single classed characters vs multi class (regardless of how many classes) is an interesting data point.

If particular classes are more often multi classed, that would skew how popular those classes actually are (as in if a majority characters with class x are multi classed then that class isn’t quite as popular as it might seem).
Agreed and it’s one comparison I’ve intended to do from the beginning.

Audiomancer

Adventurer
I think simply the comparison of single classed characters vs multi class (regardless of how many classes) is an interesting data point.

If particular classes are more often multi classed, that would skew how popular those classes actually are (as in if a majority characters with class x are multi classed then that class isn’t quite as popular as it might seem).
In addition, there may be some classes that are commonly used for a one- or two-level dip. Fighter and Warlock are the ones that spring to mind, though there may be others. If that’s the case, it should be taken into account in all of the “Nobody plays X” arguments.

ichabod

Legned
Yes. But if multiclassed with more than 1 other class I cannot tell the exact level split.
It looks like there are on 3,979 triple+ classes characters in the data. One of them is ID #1122450. You can see all three levels in JSON. That might be a good place to start re-scraping attempts. I did notice that the total level on D&D Beyond doesn't match the CSV data, but that character may have been updated since the data was pulled.

FrogReaver

Starting class rogues and fighters are multiclassed more than anything else, but that may just be because there are more starting class rogues and fighters in the data than anything else. I think I really need to break it down to a % by class by level.

FrogReaver

1690043569871.png

This obviously doesn't tell the whole story as it's just based on starting class but I think it's interesting and aligns to what most of us would expect. Fighter is often used as a starting class that then gets multiclassed.

The percent is the percent of Starting Class X that were multiclassed at that level.

Last edited:

Clint_L

Hero
That makes sense - both classes get some tempting abilities at low levels. Two levels in fighter gets you armour proficiency, second wind, attack styles and action surge, and two levels in rogue gets you sneak attack, expertise, and cunning action. They are definitely the most popular classes for multi-class amongst my players.

ECMO3

Hero
Agreed and it’s one comparison I’ve intended to do from the beginning.

I think it depends how you look at it. In 5E I have only played 1 character past level 3 without multiclassing, so haaving all classes would be relevant if you were looking at what I play.

Most players though don't multiclass IME.

ECMO3

Hero
This obviously doesn't tell the whole story as it's just based on starting class but I think it's interesting and aligns to what most of us would expect. Fighter is often used as a starting class that then gets multiclassed.

The percent is the percent of Starting Class X that were multiclassed at that level.

I don't know if I buy this. I see a lot of fighter multiclasses, but I actually rarely see Fighter as the starting class. I see Rogue most commonly, but also classes with Wisdom saves are more common IME than fighter is to start.

That is not to say I never see them, just not real often.

Remove ads